Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Buster Olney on Mike and Mike said Peavy would probably be made available this offseason and I think he said his contract goes through 2012. The talk was mainly about what the Yankees could offer for him, but could the Brewers match up assuming Sheets and CC both leave.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Padres will at least listen, they've already stated they'll be cutting the payroll for next year, and Peavy has already told them he doesn't like it.

Until I see it, I'll bet against him being traded, but this name is going to keep coming up through the winter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why would the Padres make him available? Hes signed to a reasonable contract and is one of the best pitchers in baseball. I don't believe Buster Olney.
Here's an article with quotes from Towers, the Pads GM:

http://www3.signonsandieg...y-towers-contract/?padres

Basic guts of the article:

Coming off a 99-defeat season, Padres General Manager Kevin Towers said Tuesday he considers no player "untouchable" and will find out the trade value of every player.

Towers, speaking last Wednesday from Los Angeles, also said Padres ace Jake Peavy will not be exempted from his offseason fact-finding mission and that he would be shirking his duties if he did not find out Peavy's value on the trade market.

"Are we going to shop Jake Peavy? No," Towers said. "It's a time of year to gather information. If it's something that makes sense, you've got to talk as an organization."

So they aren't shopping him - but that they're willing to listen to 'find out his value' indicates they are hedging their bets should something come along.

(offset quote --1992)

Lodi, they already have Adrian Gonzalez at first base, so they would have no interest in Prince. Also, I'm not sure if Gwynn has any trade value at this point w/ his .659 OPS in AAA as a 25 year old.

I believe that we have the players and prospects to get it done, but IMO it would take way too many of them to get Peavy, but I would love to see him as the ace of the Brewers. I would guess we could get them interested by offering Hart, Parra and including a couple of top 5-10 prospects. I'm not even sure if that would be enough.

I believe that we have the players and prospects to get it done, but IMO it would take way too many of them to get Peavy, but I would love to see him as the ace of the Brewers. I would guess we could get them interested by offering Hart, Parra and including a couple of top 5-10 prospects. I'm not even sure if that would be enough.
Think along the lines of the Dan Haren deal that is what it would take to get Peavy.

Thing is you can't say 18-24 years because you don't know which ones will even stick in the big leagues. Some may never even make it, and they got Haren at a good rate for multiple years, even before they extended him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Pads are willing to deal Peavy, they are in full rebuilding mode (as they should be, in my opinion). If that's the case, they'll want top notch prospects, or guys with, at the most, a year or two of big league experience.

If LaPorte was worth 3 months of Sabathia, what's four years of Peavy worth (I think he has 4 years on his deal)? Gamel and Escobar are the starting point for Peavy if I'm the Padres.

I'd love Peavy, but the price would be brutal. Don't know if it would be worth it in the long run.

trades for "name" players are not the way the to go, they are simply too expensive.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Trading for him would be a phenomenal move, even if very pricey, if we had one of Sheets or CC coming back next year and a more solid pen, as it'd give us a 1-2-3 punch and pitching staff that makes me drool. However, I just don't want to completely clear out the farm system for a window of maybe a couple of years because it still leaves us with several holes to fill and shaky postseason chances.

Peavy is perfect for us. As pitching prices continue to escalate, he could become a bargain.

Brewers get: Jake Peavy

Tampa gets: Prince Fielder

San Diego gets: Tony Gwynn Jr., 3 pitching prospects from Tampa (pick from Jeff Nieman, James Houser, Chris Mason, Wade Davis, Jacob McGee, Wade Townsend, Glenn Gibson, Jeremy Hellickson)

Fielder fits Tampa because he can DH there and could help with there horrible attendance. Tampa has 5 starting pitchers returning plus David Price, but could use more offense. The Brewers could sign Texeirra, Giambi or Delgado to play 1B, or go with Gamel or Nelson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Tom Krasovic, of the San Digo Tribune, wrote an article saying that Kevin Towers, the Padres G.M., is listening to offers now.

"Towers said he has heard from clubs interested in trading for ace pitcher Jake Peavy. "We're having talks," he said.

The GM said he wouldn't be surprised if the Peavy talks heat up next month.

Peavy will waive his no trade clause mainly for NL teams, although according to Tim Dierkes, from MLBtraderumors.com, Peavey's agent says he will may waive it for 3 AL teams.

How does trading pitching for pitching help us in the short term or long term?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Peavy is perfect for us. As pitching prices continue to escalate, he could become a bargain.

Brewers get: Jake Peavy

Tampa gets: Prince Fielder

San Diego gets: Tony Gwynn Jr., 3 pitching prospects from Tampa (pick from Jeff Nieman, James Houser, Chris Mason, Wade Davis, Jacob McGee, Wade Townsend, Glenn Gibson, Jeremy Hellickson)

Fielder fits Tampa because he can DH there and could help with there horrible attendance. Tampa has 5 starting pitchers returning plus David Price, but could use more offense. The Brewers could sign Texeirra, Giambi or Delgado to play 1B, or go with Gamel or Nelson.

I would absolutely love this, but TB is way overpaying in this scenario. No way they give up Hellickson, McGee & Davis for Fielder.

I could see a scenario similar to this, but I would think it would be more like Prince to TB & Jeffress to SD, and 2 pitchers from TB to SD.

At that point, it's a little pricey for us.

I would defiinitely give up Escobar, Gamel & a Welch-type for Peavy in a heartbeat. We suddenly have a pretty good team next year, although the future gets a little dicey.

Hmm, I meant to post my comment in the other thread where Peavy was mentioned.

Hardy and Parra for Peavy? That's a fantastic deal for the Padres with the MLB talent we'd be giving up. People have ACE pitching on the brain after Sabathia. I'm all for acquiring pitching, but a deal like this creates multiple holes without filling the hole the rotation. Peavy and Yo aren't going to carry this team to the playoffs on their own, it takes more than that. While Peavy is a huge upgrade over Parra at this time, we're still short a pitcher in the short term, and if Jeffress would go we'd be short a pitcher long term.

Again I point to teams with good offenses but little pitching this past season in Texas and Detroit. I believe in building from the pitching staff down, but Peavy would simply be way too costly to acquire. The Brewers cannot afford to make trades at "any cost".

- Plato

- Plato

As all pitchers are one arm motion away from making their final major league pitch, I believe it is both foolhardy to give up too much for them, and to undervalue their worth.

If San Diego were an American League team, this would be a tailor-made deal to swap Fielder+ for Peavy. As it is, we'd have to go through an AL team to do the deal, and those deals rarely get done.

However, Peavy is one of the best few pitchers in the game. If the Brewers aren't comfortable with a Gallardo/Parra front end of the rotation (and I'm not so sure they shouldn't be comfortable with that for the moment), and they are comfortable giving up $125 million to offer to Sabathia, they have to ask themselves if giving up Fielder, Hart, Anundsen and Salome wouldn't be a better option for less long-term risk in a Sabathia equal, Peavy. A deal like that would clear salary, not gut the minor league system, and give the team some room to go after Randy Wynn or something to replace Hart.

Or, Attanasio could mortgage Miller Park, sign CC and trade for Peavy. A Peavy/CC/Gallardo/Parra/Bush rotation would be absurd. But that's a pipe dream.

If Fielder were to be invleved in a trade for Peavy, it would probably have to involve a 3rd team. With Adrian Gonzales holding down 1st, they probably dont have a need for a player like Fielder. Also, the Pads are a team do for a complete makeover, and would probably demand Gamel. Gamel and Parra could very well do the trick, and then the Brewers could find a way to aquire a number 3 or 4 starter and be legit contenders again. The question is, would Peavy waive his NTC to go to Milwaukee. Remember, teams like the Yankees and Mets are going to want him just as much and probably be able to match any Brewers offer not involving one of their top prospects.

Buster Olney just reported on Sportscenter that Peavy and Greene will probably be packaged in the same deal. Who needs a shortstop in the NL? Those teams are the ones that the Padres will target.

Would Greene, Escobar, Hardy, Gamel be a good infied? (Or Hardy, Escobar, Greene, Gamel)

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived