Brewer Fanatic

Who is the Bench Coach for 2009

twobrewers

I am assuming that Dale Sveum will be the Brewers Head Coach in 2009.

However, with Robin Yount leaving the team as Bench Coach before the 2008 season - I am assuming he won't be committed for a full season in 2009.

I'd like to put my nominees in early - Jeff Cirillo or Gabe Kapler (Only if we add a LH bat as a reserve OF and don't need Kapler anymore)

Any other ideas?

Working under the assumption that Sveum is the manager in 2009....

I would disagree that Cirillo and Kapler would be good choices.

IMO a bench coach should be some old guy, with managerial experience, whose primary function is to be a "wealth of knowledge" for Sveum to bounce ideas off of. I would think that the candidate should be someone Dale has worked with and/or played for, and is someone that Dale can 100% rely on. I would think guys like Tom Treblehorn and Gene Lamont would be more suitable than either Cirillo or Kapler.

(I am not suggesting Treb or Lamont be the guy, they are just generic examples of what I would think would be a good candidate)

I am assuming that Dale Sveum will be the Brewers Head Coach in 2009.

The last time a Major League baseball team employed a head coach was 1965, and in that case, it was a leftover from a system that didn't work well at all. I hope the Brewers stick with tradition and employ a field manager.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I hope the Brewers stick with tradition and employ a field manager.
Consider me called out!

Do you think Sveum would want someone with more experience than him on the bench? I mean, is there any concern that it would mitigate some of his power/influence over the clubhouse?

As much as many would like to blame Yost for Yount not being the bench coach, I've heard Yount say himself, that he just couldn't give what it takes to do the job for an entire season.

If his wife had anything to do with that, I'm not sure.

It was part of one of his first interviews where Yount also said something like, "man this is great, coming to the team in the middle of a pennant race. If I could get this written in my contract where I only have to come back mid-September, I'd do that."

He also said he's here just to be a cheerleader. He brought his pom-pons and skirt. He just hopes his legs still look good enough in the skirt.

I think Uecker was interviewing him. I know it was on the radio pregame show.

Maybe if they had sprayed Robinade in the locker room it would have made Robin want to come back...

Initially Robin didn't come back to the Brewers because his kids were still in school, which is why he took the job with the Diamondbacks. Once his kids were out of high school he took the job here as bench coach under Ned. And while there was no one single reason why he quit, Michelle not wanting him here was a big part of it.

I know this is probably way out there for most of you, but I am from Marshfield and I have pretty good info of one guy who has said he is going to apply for the bench coach job next year in Milwaukee. Whether he gets it or not is questionable. Gary Varsho is who I was told will apply. For those of you who don't know, he is a Wisconsin native and has been the bench coach for the Phillies and the Pirates.

Why is it assumed that dale is coming back.

To keep this thread on track, twobrewers set a discussion parameter. Imagine how unwieldy it could get had he not done that. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Do you think Sveum would want someone with more experience than him on the bench?

Definitely. Sveum has next to zero MLB managing experience. A guy like Gene Lamont could definitely give Dale a little depth that he just doesn't have.

I mean, is there any concern that it would mitigate some of his power/influence over the clubhouse?

I doubt it. Sveum would hire someone that he was comfortable with. Zimmer was a bench coach for a long time, he wasn't going to ever manage again. I think a bench coach is really nothing more than a cheerleader and a guy to help the manager think through situations, and be aware of options.

Archived