Brewer Fanatic

Looking for info. on becoming a mailman

Cracked Bat Collector

It's hard to become one. Not so much because the test is hard, but because they don't announce them that often and not very publicly.
I'll second that. I took the test four years ago. I passed it with a decent enough score that I thought would earn me an interview, but it didn't. When I went for the test there were hundreds of people there and there just aren't many openings. They take all the people who score over a certain number on the test and put them in the hiring pool. I believe they interview those with the highest scores and work down from there. Additionally, certain life experiences get you additional points, so unless you ace the test or you're a veteran, chances are you won't even get a call from the postal service.

Edit: As an aside, my uncle is a retired postmaster...personal connections won't get you anywhere.

I'll add my experience to this.

I was a part-time casual during the summers while I was in college. I made really good money but also worked 6 days a week 50hrs. The job is much harder than most people think it is. As a youngster with no seniority I was given one route per day, always different, along with bits off of others to cover for people that were off. Typically, you will never be near a driving route and will get the most difficult, ie largest, routes. I also did collections after my routes..driving to various blue boxes and getting mail to the distribution center. I have a great deal of respect for the guys that do it.

As far a a full time carrier....knowing a bunch and having family members that were I can say

right now they are working guys extremely hard. There is mandatory overtime for pretty much everyone. Taking vacation is extremely difficult and they dont get that many holidays, despite what people think. Currently, they are receiving a lot of pressure and are not hiring nearly enough people. Most of that is due to increasing costs and the mandate that they cannot make a profit. You also have to remember that you have a 6 day work week with a rotating day off. Its great when you have a Saturday followed by a Monday but not so great when it is Wednesday and you work Saturday. I would also add that typically the communication between mgmt and the carriers is atrocious with a great deal of resentment on the carriers part.

Again, I have great respect for the guys and the institution. The post office is amazingly efficient and puts Fed Ex/UPS to shame when it comes to error less delivery. However, it is a tough life.

I currently am a Part-Time-Flexible Clerk at the Sturtevant Post Office. I applied to be a casual clerk(w/o benefits) back in Spring of 2001. I recieved a notice in the mail to work the end of the year hollidays and had to go for interviewing, physical, training and drug testing in downtown Milw. I worked 3 consecutive 89 day terms as a casual clerk. I pretty much just distributed the mail to the carriers and got the mail ready for dispatch when the carriers returned off their routes. After my 3rd consecutive term I went on unemployment for the summer of 2002, while notifiying the HR office to keep my name eligible for casual clerk work after a 3 mo. break. I went back to work in a different office in November of 2002. After that I qualified to take the Civil Service test in April 2003(typically the month the test is given) when my last term ended. I passed the test with a qualifying score and worked at WSI,inc. while I waited about 2 years to be contacted. I was contacted by mail first by the Burlington P.O. but rejected it and told the HR office I still wish to be considered for other openings. Couple weeks later, recieved another letter offering me a position in Sturtevant's P.O. I accepted it and had to go to an interview at Sturtevant by the Postmaster. I had to go to Milw. to do a physical and drug test again.

My starting pay was $16.75 in 2005, currently I am $22.28, pay raises are fairly regular. As a PTF-clerk we have the option to be lent out to other offices, if needed, to get more hours and they have to work on most hollidays . Regular clerks are guaranteed 40hrs a week w/2 days off a week and w/ hollidays off. Regulars are nearly impossible jobs to get. I am somewhat fortunate because I work with 2 older Regular clerks who are close to retirement and since I am next in the seniority line I would inherit one of their positions, upon retirement. Well... that's my life story!

Some of the benefits of the job include decently priced health insurance, an improving dental plan, Thrift Savings Plan w/ up to 5% matching, a great Union, optional life insurance and flexible spending accounts. I apologize for the wordiness.

Check your local post office for postings on the test being available in your area. Like I stated earlier, usually the test is given in April, so try looking in February or March for the postings. Hope I helped!

Can you explain the holidays thought? Obviously, they have any legal holiday off, do they have to make up that day?

The PO operates on Sunday and holidays -- they may not actually deliver to houses -- but the sorting and transportation of mail happens behind the scenes.

Correct! I can't tell you how many times customers come in and say, " You're so lucky to have an extra day off this week!" It is one of the great misconceptions about being a postalworker. Another is the title Part-Time Flex. That pretty much means you're going to work 40+ at your Postmaster's discretion, granted you work in a large city.

Archived