Brewer Fanatic

Cam's leadoff abilities

Foofty

Go to baseballreference.com, search for him and hit the splits option. You can see his stats batting out of every position from any year.

Is this thread about how Cam HAS done as a leadoff hitter for the Brewers or how he should be expected to perform as a leadoff hitter going forward?

I don't see how such a small sample would be meaningful especially considering he was struggling when he was moved to leadoff.

For his career he has a .255/.342/.453/.794 line leading off vs a .250/.340/.448/.788 line overall.

For 2008 it is .204/.283/.241/.524 leading off in 13 games vs a .243/.331/.477/.809 overall

I don't really think he fits the mold of a leadoff hitter but neither does anyone else on the team. The only player with a reasonable OBP in the entire lineup is Fielder. The best leadoff hitter on the team is probably Weeks but I don't disagree with those who think that leading off messes with Weeks head some.

I think the reason Sveum moved Cameron to leadoff (and Hall to 2nd when he's in there) was for those guys to see better pitches to hit and get them going and not so much based on leadoff qualities. They needed Cameron hitting period. If it took getting him in front of Fielder and Braun, so be it.

The last 14 days saw a .524 OPS from Cameron (.858 OPS for last 7 days). Moving guys around in the lineup doesn't make them hotter or colder imo.

I like Hall at #2 because Sveum only did that against LHP (iirc).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the reason Sveum moved Cameron to leadoff (and Hall to 2nd when he's in there) was for those guys to see better pitches to hit and get them going and not so much based on leadoff qualities. They needed Cameron hitting period. If it took getting him in front of Fielder and Braun, so be it.

I agree with this assessment - and further strengthens my argument on why we should put Hart atop the order. Will the Philles pitchers be brave enough to throw pitches outside of the zone to the leadoff man, in fear of walking him? One might say Hart would swing anyway, but if you subscribe to the fact that he is struggling because of where he is hitting in the order, throw him where you know he will see a strike.

As a poster noted above, there aren't really a whole bunch of options for the 1 spot right now...blech.

I agree with this assessment - and further strengthens my argument on why we should put Hart atop the order.

I could not disagree more. Giving the highest number of PA to your worst hitter... when the games mean the most, no less? Scary.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the reason Sveum moved Cameron to leadoff (and Hall to 2nd when he's in there) was for those guys to see better pitches to hit and get them going and not so much based on leadoff qualities.
I agree with this assessment - and further strengthens my argument on why we should put Hart atop the order.
Hart simply refuses to take walks, 27 drawn in 612 at bats is flat out miserable.

(shortened quoted material --1992)

The irony is that K concerns are especially meaningless for the #1 spot...it makes no difference for the 1st PA of the game, and that spot is as unlikely as any to make productive outs, as it is not an RBI spot.

Worrying about K's from that spot is one of those cliches that won't go away.

Archived