Brewer Fanatic

05/02/2006 Astros (Nieve) @ Brewers (Sheets) 7:05 PM, CST

JoeH33
Keep living in the Sheets fantasy land everyone. When Capuano blows him away with his numbers and wins this season, I'll come back and ask you if you still would go with #15 as the "ace" of this staff. Find me another $10 mill/yr pitcher with his win totals and I'll start to rationalize what makes him so much better than Cappy.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i will just say this about run support.

For Ben's career up until 2004 (first half anyway), we have had a horrible offensive team. He would go 6 starts and have less than 10 runs of support.

We'd lose games 2-0, 2-1, 3-1.. and so on..

Cappy really just emerged last year and has been the benefactor of some great run support.

While wins do count, certainly they do, the pitcher cannot control what the hitters on his team do.

That's what you get when a strong armed SS plays CF for ya. Nice.

Keep living in the Sheets fantasy land everyone.

You have made a lot of friends here, haven't ya? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Great throw by Hall. He has one of the strongest arms of guys in CF today in the majors

I like Ned's decision to keep Li'l Ben out there. We have uncertainty with Ohka, they were already talking about bringing Bush back on 3 days rest, and why mess with what's working. If Sheets were still in, they'd have let him lead off there. So try to keep the pen as fresh as possible

Boy, he's got to have the worst luck of every pitcher in major league history then. The point I'm trying to make is if he was 1/2 as athletic as Cappy is and can contribute with the glove and pick up a key hit once in a while, maybe he might have a few more wins on his total. Don't discount the value of being more than just a "pitcher." It's the intangibles that make a star a star, and I see one in the making with Capuano.

< Bucksman, where have you been during the winning streak? You only come on this board when we're losing.>

I don't know, but you're "Mr. Positive" too with your "you can't spell Rickie without a K or an E."

Don't get so touchy. I'm not criticizing you...you're not the one making $10 million to pitch a baseball.

Top of the 8th, 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd and we are up by 1 with a full count. This game decides the wild card.

Who do you want throwing the next pitch. Capuano or Sheets?

And no, throwing pickoff moves until you get 'em is not an option.

Boy, he's got to have the worst luck of every pitcher in major league history then.

He's played on some bad teams and does have some bad luck with run support

The point I'm trying to make is if he was 1/2 as athletic as Cappy is and can contribute with the glove

Uhh....yeah, Ben's fielding really costs him http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

pick up a key hit once in a while, maybe he might have a few more wins on his to

Ben's currently batting .143 while Cappy's batting .077

Don't discount the value of being more than just a "pitcher." It's the intangibles that make a star a star, and I see one in the making with Capuano.

Eye of the tiger?

bucksman, those intangibles are what make Cappy arguably a #2. He was great in '04 until the two ill-fated starts while hurt, he was great last year till September. He's at least a #3. Sheets a legit #1.

On which team?

The Cardinals? Astros? Red Sox? Yankees? Blue Jays? White Sox? I could go on and on....it's all relative.

On other teams....yes, he may be their #1. BUT....when your options are limited, someone does have to take the 1 spot.

Quote:
Sometimes I just don't get it...

We're down by 4 and Geoff, Carlos, and Prince all go up there with HR swings. Why? We need baserunners, not solo shots!

That is why 9-run rallies that fall short by a run are better than hitting 5 homeruns in one inning... rallys you can build on.. homeruns.. nowhere to go but down.

Another name of a pitcher....Brandon Webb

And finally, there's a decent pitcher out there by the name of Kerry Wood who makes plenty of money, with rather iffy career numbers

Archived