Brewer Fanatic

05/02/2006 Astros (Nieve) @ Brewers (Sheets) 7:05 PM, CST

JoeH33
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how Sutton kept saying "ace" Sheets over and over again tonight. I think he's saying it so he won't drift back into the realistic realm which clearly shows Capuano as our staff ACE. An ace can be counted on to keep your team in the game day in and day out. Capuano has not given up more than 3 earned runs in any of his 6 starts this season and his 18 wins speak for themselves. Sheets career record is 56-64 (*65 pending tonight's outcome). 9 games under .500 is an ace? Please.

And for those who suggest wins and losses do not solely determine a pitcher's worth, I agree. But come on, great pitchers (ie. staff aces) find ways to win. Whether it be with the glove on D, their stick on offense, or pure athleticism and bearing down when it counts, that's what determines one's worth. That being said, Chris Capuano IS the Brewers ace. In a game 7, give me this guy any day of the week over the erratic Sheets.

Bucksmann, I couldn't disagree more.

Sheets has been out for over half a year. Judging him on his first four starts (which really haven't been all that bad up until this one) is quite unfair. Cappy has been pitching out of his mind so far this season. But that's the key, we are only one month in. Its a long season, and their career numbers suggest that Sheets is by far the better pitcher. Sheets career ERAs hardly suggest an erratic pitcher, they instead suggest a pitcher who's done great but w/ little run support.

And I'm asking you to look more at WINS than K's. In that category, Capuano trumps Big Benny hands down.

The last time I checked, it was wins that got teams to the playoffs. It was wins that won teams World Championships. When strikeouts or innings pitched becomes the barrier by which to measure these things, I will give in to your thinking. Until then, I'll base things on production.

Can pitchers get wins without solid outings from the offense? No.

So theoretically, a pitcher could have a 1.00 ERA and still lose every single game because his offense blew terribly. So would you say that the guy with the 7.00 ERA who had terrific run support and more wins would really be the Ace over the 1.00 ERA guy? I doubt it. While their numbers are not this drastic, I think this makes my point.

Which runt is more obnoxiously annoying

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/Eckstein.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/adameverett.jpg

I concede your point about needing run support to do well. The bottom line, though, is that since joining the staff, Capuano has been much, much more consistent than Sheets. I will not ease on my stance saying that Capuano is the staff ace until proven otherwise. Sheets needs to show me some consistent outings where he starts the game without giving up a first run inning and coming out of the pre-game bullpen warmed up and ready to get MLB hitters out. He's got to step up his game if we want to go anywhere. Especially if he's going to be paired against the opposing team's ace.

Quote:
I love how Sutton kept saying "ace" Sheets over and over again tonight. I think he's saying it so he won't drift back into the realistic realm which clearly shows Capuano as our staff ACE. An ace can be counted on to keep your team in the game day in and day out. Capuano has not given up more than 3 earned runs in any of his 6 starts this season and his 18 wins speak for themselves. Sheets career record is 56-64 (*65 pending tonight's outcome). 9 games under .500 is an ace? Please.

Cappy and his sample-sized 3.00 ERA really has you captivated, huh?

Are you aware that Ben had a 2.7 ERA over a full season?

nevermind, i'm leaving this alone.

Verified Member
Quote:
But come on, great pitchers (ie. staff aces) find ways to win.

If Roger Clemens were a better pitcher he would have found a way to win more than 13 games with his fantastic 1.87 ERA.

Archived