Brewer Fanatic

05/02/2006 Astros (Nieve) @ Brewers (Sheets) 7:05 PM, CST

JoeH33
Well it's hard to say the Brewers are a better team when you notice the Astros are in second place with a great record minus Roger Clemens. I think people on here, and rightfully so, generally think the Brewers potential long-term is a lot better than that of Houston's. I also feel that at the current time, I would take our team over the Astros because of the fact our rotation is more complete 1-5 than theirs and our bullpen is every bit as good as theirs when our main guys are on.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Quote:
I am having a hard time trying to figure out why some people on here think the BrewCrew are better than the Astros. The stros went to the World Series last year, and the league championship the year before. Their team is relatively unchanged, and might get Roger Clemens back here before too long. They might not be the most glamourous team, but they have been one of the top teams in the NL for the better part of the last ten years. Just a little confusing to me, thats all.

I'd say their pitching staff is quite a bit different this year. That combined with the Brewers being very much improved over last year is the reason.

The bullpen is pretty much the same, only difference is Buckholz and Nieve at the back of the rotation. But if you get Clemens back Nieve would probably go to the bullpen, without even knowing when Backe gets back. The bullpen has been a lot shakier this year, but the same guys are there.

The Astros are the better team until the Brewers finish with a better record than them, or are substantially better than them during the season. I don't know that there is a ton of argument about this.

Ben Sheets' secondary numbers are stellar - I give him about 5-6 start until his ERA is about 3.00. He's been unlucky so far, and at a time when he's coming off an injury. A bad matrix to tread through, but he's so close to being dominate again. Unless he's injured, you shouldn't worry about him.

It's tough to give too many props to Hendrickson tonight. He pitched about as effecitvely as possible, against a good Astros lineup. He's added the juice to his fastball that a number of us knew he had in him, and was able to locate his pitches for the most part. He went a long, long way tonight towards securing a roster spot long-term, and even starting in place of Ohka if that becomes necessary.

Also a classic Uecker game. The Brewers were down the whole time, but he and Powell made it entertaining as heck to listen to. The quips about The Tonight Show and Edwin Encarnacion had me rolling in my seat. JP, if you're reading this, you are the perfect straight man for Ueck. Ueck, if you're reading this, you've upgraded you're pocket dopplar and I'm impressed.

Archived