Brewer Fanatic

05/02/2006 Astros (Nieve) @ Brewers (Sheets) 7:05 PM, CST

JoeH33

Fernando Nieve - (0-0, 4.50)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/FernandoNieve.jpg

This is Neive's First Start vs. Milwaukee

Nieve allowed two runs over 4 2/3 innings Tuesday against the Dodgers and took a no-decision in Houston's 14-inning win on April 25. The rookie right-hander has allowed four earned runs over two Major League starts. He will be making his first start against the Brewers when he takes the mound for the finale in Milwaukee.

@

Ben Sheets - (1-2, 4.00)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/BigBen.jpg

Sheets' Splits vs. Houston

Sheets held the Braves to two runs in six innings of his most recent start, and would have had a chance for his second straight double-digit strikeout game had the Brewers not faced a run-scoring opportunity in the bottom of the sixth that called for a pinch-hitter. In his last two starts, Sheets has pitched 13 innings, surrendering four runs on 12 hits, with just one walk and 19 strikeouts.

Media Coverage

TV - FSN North

Radio - AM 620 WTMJ

Online - MLB.com Gameday, ESPN.com GameCast

Game Information

MLB.com Game Preview

Astros Daily (Fan Site)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually feel supremely confident about this team right now, and I think we'll take this game easily. Sheets has been absolutely lights out this year, and I expect another ~10 strikeout 1-2 run performance from him. Our offense has been raking as of late and I think we'll pound this guy.

My prediction

Brewers - 7

Astros -1

It's been years since I've had this much confidence in the Brewer's offense. Five or six runs and the Brewers should be looking pretty good tonight. However I'd almost feel better if Petitte or Oswalt were facing us, well.. maybe not Oswalt.

From the Atros Daily Board:

Quote:
We all know the Braves have the worst fans in baseball. And the most arogant. It's old hat when you win you're division 11 years in a row. What is worse is having to listen to these Brewers announcers tell me how Bill Hall will be in the hall of fame. URGHH!!

Well, it's probably not the last time Hall will be hitting a bomb off them, so they better get used it it.

I can't imagine any Brewer announcer, Uecker, JP, Sutton or Schroeder actually saying that Bill Hall will be in the Hall of Fame. The idea is so far-fetched that it seems completely unrealistic to say something like that. What happened most likely was that someone simply compared Hall's numbers this season or last to someone who is in the HoF, for some reason, and Astro fan took it and ran with it.

Quote:
"What is worse is having to listen to these Brewers announcers tell me how Bill Hall will be in the hall of fame."

I bet it was attempt at nimble wordplay by either Daron or Bill.

What is worse is having to listen to these Brewers announcers tell me how Bill Hall will be in the hall of fame.

Actually I started noticing these kind of comments a lot on other fan boards. Both during the Cubs and Braves series there were complaints that Bill and Daron were cheering for and concentrating to much on the Brewers. I guess I don?t really notice it being a Brewer?s fan, but I agree that announcers should be somewhat unbiased.

It was actually on sportscenter during the brewer highlights, just a play on words, they weren't seriously saying he's going to be in the HOF.

Sounds like a 'stros fan in just taking things out of context.

Yeah, on Sportscenter, I believe it was John Anderson, was doing the Hall home run highlight. He called him Bill Hall of Fame. So it wasn't our announcers, although I think he is from Wisconsin.

I've found that just about all local broadcast teams are quite homerish...and that's perfectly fine by me. If the game is on ESPN or FOX nationally, I'd like to see unbiased coverage of both teams. But if I'm watching my local Brewers coverage, I want to hear more about my team more than about our opponents, and I want our announcers to get excited for big plays on our side and not so much on the other. I don't see why this is a big deal at all...it's local coverage!

Quote:
I know that this is the first look that many of will have of him, but does anyone know what kind of stuff Nieve has??

Nieve throws heat, a curve and a slider, and he has a decent cutter.

LINK

Quote:
I've found that just about all local broadcast teams are quite homerish...and that's perfectly fine by me. If the game is on ESPN or FOX nationally, I'd like to see unbiased coverage of both teams. But if I'm watching my local Brewers coverage, I want to hear more about my team more than about our opponents, and I want our announcers to get excited for big plays on our side and not so much on the other. I don't see why this is a big deal at all...it's local coverage!

I totally agree with everything you said. Announcers should be unbiased when they are on national tv. However, when your in a local TV market, it is okay for the announcers to get fired up over the home team. It makes me get in the game alot more. That is why I like local broadcasts better than national broadcasts. National broadcast announcers are kind of boring.

People can rip on the Brewers announce team all they want (that goes for Brewer fans too), but I really couldn't see anyone else doing play by play for the crew (tv-wise). Daron has really grown on me, but I really wouldn't mind seeing Bill replaced with Cirillo when he hangs 'em up.

Archived