Brewer Fanatic

Watch the game at work vs. Wait until you get home

pitchleague
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a teacher, a new teacher, I can't take off. The bad part too is that we get out at 3:45. I'll have game day on my computer last hour. I plan on racing to the closest place that has the game on after school to catch the end of it.

The only way any of this changes is if we get a massive snowstorm tonight. Say a prayer.

To you guys that have to work...

Stick your finger down your throat at about 1pm.

Do it where people can hear you, but not see what you actually did.

Then act like you have the flu.

Back at work the next day, you say..."Must have been a 24-hour virus, or whatever I ate for lunch yesterday."

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I can't decide whether or not to turn on the tube in my classroom (I'm a teacher) and "watch" while I'm teaching or try to shelter myself as best as possible from the score until I get home. It's going to be tough either way.
What do you teach? Maybe you can make the game a "lab" session.

Psychology? What effect did that high and tight fastball have on the hitter?

Physical Therapy? See how a 22 year old can recover from a serious knee injury faster than older athletes

Business? See how someone with resources ($$) taking chances (CC trade) can succeed, where someone who doesn't take chances will never succeed.

Language? See how players fro multiple nations can all cuss out the umpire!

I'm a music teacher. I would have Kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders in my afternoon classes. About the only thing that I could do would be clapping patterns with the fans or something (steady beat) or some chanting (Here we go, Brewers, Here we go!) and that would get old real quick with little ones.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I live in Denver, so luckily I can DVR it and I won't have to be worried about anyone ruining the final outcome for me. But its going to take some fortitude to get myself not to turn on gameday at work.
Pacific Timezone dweller here. I have no DVR (dangit!), and will frustratedly have to keep up with the games from work. My dad is coming to visit this weekend, so I already used two vacation days for Friday & Monday during his visit -- the timing is funny. Though it will be awesome to watch the Brewers play postseason baseball with Dad! I was an infant when he & my mom rode their bikes to County Stadium for the '82 WS.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Works perfectly for me. I'm done with class by 1:50 tomorrow, so I'll race to a television, try to distance myself from Cubs fans, and lock myself in a room until the game is over, next to a computer. I'm golden on Thursday, too. I took off all potential Brewers playoff dates, through the World Series. There's no way I'm missing this party!

I'll be hiding in the northwest corner of New Mexico, in a house that the company I work for owns. I will buy a twelve back of Schlitz, turn on TBS and boot up my laptop to Brewerfan.net. Repeat for Thursday.

On Friday I will quietly make the two hour drive to Albuquerque and spend 8 hours in travel to Milwaukee where chaos will follow.

Pacific Timezone dweller here. I have no DVR (dangit!), and will frustratedly have to keep up with the games from work. My dad is coming to visit this weekend, so I already used two vacation days for Friday & Monday during his visit -- the timing is funny.
Much the same boat here; I started a new job this past Spring and have all my tiny "new employee" allotted vacation time booked up. I'm pretty much known as "The Brewers Fan" here (in fact it was how my new boss introduced me at a local industry event) so faking illness is out of the question.

I'm just going to take a long lunch tomorrow starting at 1 PST...I'd rather see the end of the game than the start, especially since the game is in Philadelphia. Thursday I luck out with the later start time and will skip lunch and just leave at 4 PST, so I can watch the last couple hours again. I can get by following online before then--no choice, really. If there's any highlight I really want to see I can catch it online later. Not ideal but what I've got to do.

Since they'll be in Milwaukee, I'm really glad Games 3 and 4 are during the weekend so I can see them in their entirety, player introductions, et cetera.

Yeah, I've actually been avoiding getting one--I figure the more options I have the more TV I'll watch! For now I just catch stuff I've missed on OnDemand.

Obviously that doesn't work with the Brewers but if they start at 5 PST I'm usually OK with getting home in time to watch from about the 2nd or 3rd inning on...that's doable for me.

well I'm scheduled 8-4 tomorrow, so I'm hoping that our boss lets us leave early (i.e. sometime before or at 2).

Since I work on the brewers grounds crew, I would assume that we will be done well before the first pitch(fingers crossed).

If not, I hope we can at least watch the game on the scoreboard while we continue to work on the field.

I'm working all day, then going home and checking the box score. Yup, it sucks.

Also, I have no DVR and don't even receive TBS anyway, so I can go to a sports bar, but I need to save my vacation days for when the girlfriend's mom comes from Japan in 2 months. Still, I have a couple priceless days off left that I'll save for the final game next Tuesday or league championship series games, should they happen and conflict with my schedule.

Fortunately I don't have any interference with classes for this week. Next week I have a couple exams and a presentation so if there are any day games (provided they were to advance of course) Tuesday/Thursday I'll miss the first half or so of them.

I think I have decided to NOT watch the game at school, NOT check gameday OR Brewerfan.net (sorry, Brian) during the afternoon or anything. I'll wait until I get home.

The only thing that I am going to do is put a message on the workroom white board warning that nobody better blurt out the score with me anywhere in the vicinity or tell it to their students (because you just KNOW they will blab it to me. . . .they're kids.. . . that's what they do!) under the threat of death.

okay, maybe not "death" but gosh darn it all I will NOT be happy. Payback is a you-know-what and they WILL get their comeuppance.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Well, I went back and forth. In the end, I decided I still have 9 days vacation. I waited 26 years for this and I cant wait until the end of the day. If I stayed at work I would be useless any way. So I will be in in the morning, Leave by one and site in front of the TV to enjoy the game.

I am going to attempt a media blackout starting at 2:00PM CST tomorrow. Then I will watch the game when I get home. Of course I doubt that will last much past 6:00. I will just have to check the score.

Edit: For those who don't have it I can't stress this enough, TiVo, I love it. No more sitting at a family gathering thinking, "I have to get home in 20 minutes or I will miss the start of the game." The game starts when you get there. No more worrying about missing your favorite show. Whenever you have time to sit down it will be there. I think it is a must have, along with Netflix, for future parents as well. Trust me, there is nothing on in the middle of the night and having a few programs recorded to watch is great. I know it can get a little pricey, but I would recommend putting it on your Christmas list or start saving up.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just ran about 50 feet of cable from the jack in the downstairs living room up to my desktop computer to record the game. I have a class I must attend at 3:30, so I'll see the first 5 or 6 innings, but then somehow take my mind off the game for an hour and a half until I get back and watch the rest.

Thursday I'll be in the clear.

I'm still on leave from my Eurotrip, game comes on at 9:00 PM my time. So it will be beer in hand by NLT 8:00 pm, by the time the game starts I want to be a bit tuned up. I'm off Thursday so I can catch that game as well.

I can't really find anything to back it up, but MLB.com is saying that TBS.com is streaming the NLDS games. Anyone know if this is true? A quick search around TBS' site didn't really reassure me.

Trying to get the Slingbox and and moving, but so far to no avail....

Archived