Brewer Fanatic

What can we as fans do to keep CC?

BrewCrew25

So this is something I've been thinking about since I saw someone mention something about it in a previous post. Although it's not really possible for us to get a 0.1% sales tax passed by the government, there has to be some ways in which the fans of Milwaukee and the Brewers can in some way do our part to help this team retain CC while still keeping them from losing money. Just some general suggestions as to possibilities...

First off, I think since CC has been in Milwaukee, he kind of represents that kind of hard working, grind it out, type of workforce that we here in the Midwest are known for. I know that he obviously is in the prime of his career and it's a big risk to invest such a large portion of the team's salary into one player. But at the same time, the example of work ethic and the leadership along with the confidence he brings to the younger players on this team, can have kind of the "Reggie White" effect on our players in the future.

Baseball and Football obviously have very different business models in regards to payroll and revenue, but the Packers have built a successful team that is driven around community ownership and a non-profit organization. They have successfully sold stock in the team and turned the team into a marketing giant. Mark A has had some similar success with marketing his players and the Milwaukee Brewers brand in his short time here. And I think that we've all seen how much the Brewers fans can contribute just based on the attendance alone this season. Being ranked 9th in the MLB in attendance for one of the smallest markets really says something about the fan base.

So how can we accomplish raising more money to keep a player of CC's caliber in Milwaukee? Obviously he is going to get a HUGE raise and I think the fans specifically will need to contribute in some way, shape or form. The following are just a couple of ways that we can help raise the payroll enough to Keep CC on for 5-6 more years...

Stock ownership for the public - Not sure if there are legal issues with this given that Mark A and his ownership group actually own the team, but the way that the Packers have it set up is basically that the fans get a souvenir piece of paper and are invited to attend a yearly shareholder's meeting which is basically a "State of the Packers" address. For the Packers in 1997, it raised over $24 million. Spread that over 5-6 years and you're talking about $4-$5 million of the payroll that the fans are picking up.

Raise the seat cost at Miller Park - I realize this in an unfavorable option because then eventually it starts to price out certain fans and families from coming to the ballpark, but if you look at the math, it could be very beneficial to the payroll not just in the short term, but in the long term as well. The Brewers had 3,000,000 in attendance this year. Let's estimate that in a normal year Miller Park could bring in 2,700,000 fans. If you raise the price of tickets $3, that's another $8,100,000 for the payroll next year. Again, it wouldn't completely cover the cost CC's salary, but it eats up a large chunk of it.

CC Sa-back to Milwaukee Fundraiser - This would probably bring in the least amount of revenue, but I have to believe that with the marketing that the Brewers have had over recent years, they can do some kind of fundraising effort(s) to generate revenue for the team. They could adopt a similar model to the Minnesota Twins On Deck event where they charge a fee for Twins autographs of both current and former players. The Twins however do it for charity, but maybe they could put some kind of spin on it where charity gets a certain amount of it. Things like that maybe.

All of this is said under certain assumptions. 1) It can overcome the population of people that say no one person should be paid that much money for playing a sport when that money can be used elsewhere. 2) Mark A doesn't get all "Selig" on us and decide the Brewers are best suited just to turn him a profit on minimum investment. 3) The fans and community realize that there is a certain amount of investment that we need to make as a community to continually field the most competitive teams even though we are in a much smaller market. Let's face it, this team helps to put Milwaukee on the board and could in the long run, serve as a Miller or Harley type product where when they think of Milwaukee, they also think of the Brewers.

Sorry for the long post. I'm really just kind of thinking out loud here. I'm just looking for anyone's thoughts, ideas, or any ways that people can get their voice out to look into these types of things so we can keep Sabathia and, in the long run, maybe create a little more of a payroll to spend wisely and keep this team at or near the top!

Unfortunately, I dont think there is much anything anyone can do to keep Sabathia in Milwaukee.

With what he will garner as a FA this year, coupled with the economic realities of being a small market team, its just wishful thinking that he would sign a long term deal with the Brewers.

I heard an interview that he gave yesterday after the win was very cordial and appreciative for the city and fans of Milwaukee, but I dont think you can make the leap that he would like it so much to re-sign here. It would be a difference of about $50 million dollars between staying here and getting what the market can pay him.

The Brewers are in a box when it comes to brining in more revenue. Attendance can go up a little bit, you can raise ticket prices a little bit. Our TV/radio deal is locked in for 4 more years. Mark A. has said the Crew needs to get to the World Series to break even with a $90 million payroll. As much as we want CC to stay and as much as he would like to stay (I believe he does), it's just not going to happen.

There are two things we can do to get CC resigned:

1. Buy tickets

2. Buy merchandise

Mark A is a businessman, so he's going to look at what CC brings in vs no CC. If signing CC long term sells x number of jerseys, y number of tickets, and gives the brewers the equivalent of z wins a year over his replacement, which increases post-season chances by so much, and if all this + how much CC raises the value of the team + the increased revenue from TV contracts is greater than CC's salary, he will sign CC.

Though it does look like Mark A is willing to take a calculated risk where the Seiligs would stick to the safe route.

I know it's been said before...but it's not even really a question if they "can" sign CC to that type of money...it's if they can take the risk of signing one player to such a huge contract for an extended period of time. I mean, they will probably have the payroll to do it if they really want...it's just a question of if a small market team like Milwaukee can pay him that much money for four, five, six years, or whatever it ends up being.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

it all depends on how much mark wants to spend.

breaking even every year isn't necessarily mandatory to make profit on this team.

think of it like real estate. all good investors look at what they will be able to sell that investment for at a given point in the future. there is no question that the value of the brewers has gone up over the past four years. if mark were to decide to sell the team, that's where he would make significant returns. losing a couple million a year isn't always a bad thing if the value of your franchise is increasing at a greater rate.

All the merchandise and ticket sales that signing CC would mean very little if anything in the grand scheme of things. The only reason Mark signs him is if he believes having CC long term will lead to at least one and ideally more World Series championships. Enough success that they make a few extra bucks from merchandise and tickets, but more that the value of the franchise increases so dramatically as a world champion that he can get that money he gave to CC back when he sells the team down the road. And since winning a WS is never anything close to a sure thing, the decision to let CC go is pretty easy from a business standpoint.

You know why couldn't they sign him to a big deal, keep him for these next two years, then trade him to New York or whatever?

It's been done before. Look at A-Rod with Texas.

Course, yes there is still the injury risk, then not being able to trade him, and being stuck with that salary on the books.

I don't know. Glad it's not my decision, or my checkbook.

jhart05[/b]]You know why couldn't they sign him to a big deal, keep him for these next two years, then trade him to New York or whatever?

It's been done before. Look at A-Rod with Texas.

Don't like that idea at all. Never sign a player unless you intend to keep him for the duration of the contract. Texes ended up paying some of A-Rod's contract every year until he opted out of his previous contract. Texas would have been paying this year even.

Edit: Texas agreed to pay $67M of the $179M A-Rod was owed at the time of the trade. Texas was "lucky" A-Rod opted out since it saved them $21M. The paid approx $46M over 4 years for a player that was no longer with them. I would be irate if we ended up in a similar situation.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

2. Buy merchandise

I am curious as to how MLB works on merchandise. Does the MLB get a percentage of the licensing and then split that equally over all the teams? Is it every team gets there own sales for themselves?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

1. frame him for the murder of Ronnie Woo Woo (not advised)

2. get compromising photos of CC and Counsell in the shower

3. chain him to the pitcher's mound (doubt you could get a chain strong enough)

4. find him a solid off season job at Briggs and Stratton so he doesn't have to worry about money

5. take him to Kopp's for french silk custard day......he'll never leave.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

2. Buy merchandise

I am curious as to how MLB works on merchandise. Does the MLB get a percentage of the licensing and then split that equally over all the teams? Is it every team gets there own sales for themselves?
good point, I'm not sure how the profits are split up, but it seems to make sense that when you buy a jersey at the fanzone in MP, the brewers get much of the profit from that sale. I suppose it might be a different story when you buy a jersey at J.C. Penny's.

Archived