Brewer Fanatic

Thankful, cocky or realistic?

brewerguy71

I've seen a wide range of attitudes this morning at my work place regarding the Brewers making the playoffs as the Wild Card.

The bandwagon fans are pretty cocky and running around saying things like "We're Number 1" and "The Brewers all the way!". Hopeful exuberance but also pretty cocky.

Another group is very thankful for the long wait being over. One of my co-workers has had season tickets for 21 years and is just plain happy they are in. He's not knowledgeable about the game very much, but he loves the Brewers.

And a third group is looking at it in a glass half full sort of way. (Myself included). The rationale is that if Russell doesnt throw Chavez out there twice to blow games and that if Pinella plays to win, then the Brewers dont make it.

Where are you?

Thankful that the Brewers are playing in October. Thankful that I can read/watch the playoff previews and have an actual rooting interest.

Realistic that the Brewers have as legit a shot as anyone. Realistic that a healthy Sheets would be much better. Realistic that Philly is a damn fine team and could spank us in 3.

Disappointed that I will be on an airplane for 14 hours Sunday flying to Munich, and that if it comes down to a game 5, I will be in Munich desperately finding a way to listen to it over the Internet.

No cockiness at all here.

Overall, still giddy and listening to the call of Braun's HR every 10 minutes.

So I take it your way is the one that qualifies as the realistic view in the thread title? Pessimistic more-so, realistic is debatable. You could look at any game and say, if this happens, or that doesn't happen, then the result is different. That isn't exactly realism.

The reality of the situation is the Brewers are in the post-season, and I'm overjoyed. It was a tremendous week, and I'll probably forever get chills from this week and having been a part of it. I'd like to see us put up a good challenge and go deep, but I'm fine riding this wave at the moment.

Realistically, the '87 Twins and the '06 Cardinals shouldn't have been champions if total number of wins, and a September record were indicators of realism.

So, the only realism I can subscribe to right now is a dash of hope, a couple handfuls of joyful exhuberance tempered with living in the moment and trying not to expect too, too much.

Thankful and realistic. Playing a team that only has to play 8 innings is going to be tough (as we found out about 2 weeks ago). I'd rather be playing the Cubs.

A healthier Ryan Braun gives me reason to never give up, I could see Braun playing the role of Pujols and making Lidge re-live his Astros days... did that just put me in the cocky category?

Get the job done in Philly, and we get to play the Cubs anyhow (or laugh at them for going out in the first round again)... OK, put me in the cocky category.

I've been following the Brewers pre-1982, but I liked the join those youthful, exuberant & appreciateive players in their relaxed approach to enjoying this stretch of this season.

The Brewers are a good but not great team, and often enough, those kind of teams miss the playoffs. I'm thankful that, for once, everything fell perfectly into place for the Brewers.

The Phillies are the better team but I don't think dramatically so. In a 5 game series, that might make the Brewers 40/60 underdogs. Big deal.

I have to say, I'm playing it safe and setting the expectation bar low, though. The Brewers better win at least 1, since I'm taking my wife to game 4 and going with someone else to game 3. A happy wife is a happy husband!

I am happy we made it in, but don't have much hope we win many games. I would feel a little cocky if our starting rotation had some semblance of order, but it is in shambles right now. We have a starter by committee right now and I am just hoping we don't get swept.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm thankful and cautiously optomistic, which is pretty much how I always am, I'm an optomist by nature.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived