Brewer Fanatic

Playoff roster (released: reply 40ish) [merged with Would you have chosen another pitcher over Nelson]

LouisEly
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The playoff rules allow teams to keep six players in uniform who are not active in the dugout during games.

Interim manager Dale Sveum chose the six extras who have been with the team the longest:

RHP Ben Sheets

OF Gabe Kapler

3B Russell Branyan

RHP David Riske

INF/OF Joe Dillon

C Vinny Rottino

Sheets (elbow), Riske (elbow), Kapler (shoulder) and Branyan (back) are out with injuries. Dillon was up and down with the team during the season and Rottino was a September call-up.

The other September call-ups, such as Alcides Escobar, Tim Dillard and Mark DiFelice, will be on hand but not in uniform. Catcher Angel Salome left to prepare to play in the Arizona Fall League. Mike Lamb, signed in September, was not eligible to play and left because his wife is close to giving birth.

Reliever Todd Coffey, aquired on waivers from Cincinnati in early September, isn't eligible to play, either, but asked if he could accompany the team. Coffey made nine scoreless relief outings and wanted to stay with the club.

"I wanted to stay with the team," said Coffey. "I feel a played a role in helping us get here. It doesn't hurt to ask. They said OK."

You can change the roster after each series...and I think you can even make a move during the series, but only if the player is going to be out the rest of the postseason...the Yankees did this with Clemens a year or two ago.

And unless Corey is banged up, Nelson was added as a PH, not as a RF option. The playoffs are not the place to trot a rookie out.

The problem with the roster is that it's thin on RH pinch hitters. That was ok when it appeared that all Phillies would have in pen is one LH (Scott Eyre), but they included a second in J.A. Happ.

So now when facing Hamels and Moyer with the righthanded lineup, the bench will just have Durham and Rivera from the right side which could be problematic. That's why I would have gone with Dillon over Gwynn.

To answer So Cal's question, yes the can change the roster after each series.

To be blunt, I'm not afraid of Eyre or Happ, though I think Scott is a pretty solid arm. Compared to having to face Marmol or Wood (or Lidge, for that matter), I'll take my chances with those fellas. It's all but 8 innings versus 9 playing PHIL, as Lidgfe has been dominant at levels unseen since the "Game Over" days of Gagne.

I'm a bit concerned with only 4 OF's. It's the end of the world, but it's a real possibilty that we could need another one.

Extra inning game....Gwynn already used, Hart/Braun/Cameron gets injured or something, then what? Stick Hall or Nelson out there (assuming they're available) and hope for the best? Or what if one of them gets injured, would we want Gwynn starting against Hamels? Sticky and ugly situations.

Hall played last year but hasn't taken 1 fly ball this year in a game. Nelson played RF in the minors (I think), but he just looks like he would have a rough time in the OF. And this is a reach, but did Durham have some games in the OF at some point?

Other than that, I like the roster a lot. And I do think Nelson was the right choice. It's really too bad Kapler is hurt.

And unless Corey is banged up, Nelson was added as a PH, not as a RF option. The playoffs are not the place to trot a rookie out.

The playoffs are not a place to trot out a guy performing like Corey Hart. I hope RF is a Nelson/Hart platoon.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gorman Harvey - thank you much for you reply, exactly what I was looking for.

Too Live Brew - Hart has been atrocious lately, and I can only hope you are wrong (not that your idea isn't the smart move based on Corey's recent play but more hoping that Corey actually starts hitting like he did pre-September).

Brad Nelson in the Outfield would make Chris Duncan look like a gold glover.

Have you seen him actually play OF? I've seen him many times and he's not bad. He's probably below average and maybe one day he can be average. I don't know if I'd keep in him the OF the entire game, but should there be an injury he's not the worst option.

Have you seen Nelson. He's big, it looks like has been stung a nest of bees.

I have watched him play outfield in Huntsville & Nashville and as long as the ball is hit within a 10 foot circle of him he has a chance.

I believe he is on this rooster for one reason and one reason only. I believe they want to let him get the fill of a major league player. I could be wrong, but I bet you are looking at next years starting first baseman.

Fielder time here is short and Nelly makes all the since in the world to replace him at 1B.

Have you seen Nelson. He's big, it looks like has been stung a nest of bees.

I have watched him play outfield in Huntsville & Nashville and as long as the ball is hit within a 10 foot circle of him he has a chance.

I've seen him and met him. I'm not saying his future in the bigs is in the OF. I just think carrying 4 OFs is a risk, but looking that Nelson has some experience this year there he could do it if need be. I don't expect him to start unless there's an injury. He moves pretty well for his size, but I do agree with you he's not going to get to every ball. He's a nice insurance policy to have should one of the OF go down.

As far as replacing Fielder, who knows. I do think it's fitting that he's on the 25 man roster giving his high prospect status at one time and then battling through injuries. It'd be a 'feel good story' should he come up with some clutch PH.

Too Live Brew - Hart has been atrocious lately, and I can only hope you are wrong (not that your idea isn't the smart move based on Corey's recent play but more hoping that Corey actually starts hitting like he did pre-September).

Oh, I really hope Hart busts out too. My opinion of what's best for the team in the playoffs is independent of how I regard Corey Hart as a hitter. I don't think the second half of 2008 has been an accurate portrayal of Corey's ability, nor do I think it should be trusted very much in evaluating him going forward. I've long felt that Hart's lack of OBP/BB skill is a concern, but I never would have guessed he could be this ugly at the plate for so long.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm very glad Nelson made the roster. Nice option off the bench left hander with some pop. Good choice, I also think it's cool that you can have 6 players in uniform but they can't play. It's good for guys like Sheets, Kapler, Branyan and Riske who have had injuries but been with this team through this run.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Just wondering what people want to do. Nelson has shown in limited pt that he's not overmatched at all at the majors and we can use a lefty bat. My only thinking in bringing this up is that DeFelice has been maybe a bigger help lately and I'm wondering if given our starting pitching deficiency, if it might be more beneficial to have an arm like DeFelice. It also seems like having the extra pitchers has really been soothing to our team moreso than having extra bench bats. Do you think there's a better chance DeFelice would come in handy or do you think Nelson will moreso?

not really, we'll have a 3 man rotation all through the playoffs, so both unused SPs in Parra and Suppan can pick up the slack if need be.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived