Brewer Fanatic

Playoff roster (released: reply 40ish) [merged with Would you have chosen another pitcher over Nelson]

LouisEly
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can replace injured players (like Sheets) but the replacement has to have been on the 40 man roster as of September 1 (according to TH). That leaves out Coffey.

As for whether the other guys can still travel with the team and be in the dugout, that's an interesting question. Guys on the DL can do it during the regular season but I don't know if "extra" guys can in the playoffs. I think it would be a great thing for our young guys (Gamel, Escobar, etc) to get playoff exposure by being with the team this week.

For the Phillies series, I'd keep all 3 lefties on the roster. I don't wanna see Howard or Utley facing a righty late in a game EVER.

Amen brother.

I think your roster is spot-on; I think the 25th man will come down to Branyan, Dillon, or Nelson. No way I go with 13 pitchers - not enough bats off the bench to PH.

Why is Gwynn a lock? Sveum and Ned before him have except for pinch running, basically ignored him all month.

Nelson can play some corner OF. So can Dillon. If need be, Hall can play CF. I would have Nelson And Dillon on my roster and not Gwynn.

Having Parra on the roster against the Phils is a no-brainer. Bush and Suppan are very, very vulnerable matchup with this lineup. Even if you go with them, you want to be able to counter with a lefty in a hurry to keep a game close.

Nelson can play some corner OF. So can Dillon. If need be, Hall can play CF. I would have Nelson And Dillon on my roster and not Gwynn.
I'm knocking on wood as I say this. So if Cam goes down in the first inning of the first game, you wouldn't mind trotting Hall out in center for the whole series? Or putting Nelson/Dillon in right and shifting Hart to center? This is the most important 5 games for the Brewers in 26 years. I don't think there is any way they can risk that. A lot of playoff games are won from pitching and defense. But I agree, Gwynn should then be the last option off the bench, and should HOPEFULLY only be used as a pinch runner/defensive replacement.

Yup, I'd say Gwynn is a lock as he can backup all 3 OF slots and there's no one else to play CF if Cam goes down. Hall could possibly do it but hasn't all year, which could wind up costing the Brewers big-time and at the worst time.

I guess I'd take Dillon as the 25th man because he can backup 3B, LF and RF and provides decent OBA.

Can we leave Corey Hart off the post season roster? Is there anyway to do that at all?
Sure it's possible. But I hope you aren't serious, because if Kapler is still injured, we don't have a realistic option to take his place.

Many have pointed out the pressure on the Crew is minimal right now. If Hart was affected by the expectations of being an all-star and in the race, he's an excellent bet to relax and break out.

I harken back to the forecaster that said whenever a player's numbers fall greatly, you almost always find out later an injury was involved. Braun has admitted his, and while Dale said Corey was at 80%, he later said he was just making an example...time will tell. He hasn't ran much either of late, and looked to be laboring the other day when he scored (I think it was from 1B on a double) and did not look himself.

So, here's the roster:

Pitchers (12)

• RHP Dave Bush
  • RHP Eric Gagne
  • RHP Yovani Gallado
  • RHP Seth McClung
  • LHP Manny Parra
  • LHP CC Sabathia
  • LHP Brian Shouse
  • LHP Mitch Stetter
  • RHP Jeff Suppan
  • RHP Salomon Torres
  • RHP Carlos Villanueva

Catchers (2)

• Jason Kendall
  • Mike Rivera

Infielders (7)

• Craig Counsell
  • Ray Durham
  • Prince Fielder
  • Bill Hall
  • J.J. Hardy
  • Brad Nelson
  • Rickie Weeks

Outfielders (4)

• Ryan Braun
  • Mike Cameron
  • Tony Gwynn Jr.
  • Corey Hart

(edit: prettification http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif --1992)

Many have pointed out the pressure on the Crew is minimal right now. If Hart was affected by the expectations of being an all-star and in the race, he's an excellent bet to relax and break out.
I agree completely Al. It feels like the team is playing with "house money" at this time, I know as a fan I feel much less tense even. Hopefully that feeling transfers to the players and they realize they now have nothing to lose.

Fatter than Joey wrote

I am not interested in seeing Sheets pitch again this season -- He doesn't look healthy or effective.

It was revealed today, or at least the first I heard, Sheet has a slight tear in a muscle near his elbow. I'd be surprised if he gets a long term deal from any team now. One or two years more likely.

Archived