Brewer Fanatic

Playoff roster (released: reply 40ish) [merged with Would you have chosen another pitcher over Nelson]

LouisEly

Lots of questions to be answered here:

1) Is Sheets really healthy enough to start? Do they even put him on the roster?

2) Is Kapler healthy enough to start? Is he healthy enough to even be on the roster? If not, does Gwynn make the roster because of a lack of OFs?

3) Is Branyan healthy enough to play 3B? If not, will he be kept on the roster just to pinch hit?

4) How many pitchers do they go with? 4 starters and 7 relievers for a total of 11? 8 relievers?

5) What relievers do they go with? I'd think that they have to keep a 2nd lefty with Howard and Utley - is it Stetter or Parra? Torres, Shouse, and perhaps Villanueva are the only locks - if they go with 7 who is the odd man out of Stetter, Parra, Gagne, Mota, and McClung?

6) If they go with 4 starters/8 relievers, who do they keep for 13 position players? Fielder, Weeks/Durham, Hardy, Counsell/Hall, Braun, Cameron, Hart, Rivera... that's 10. Have to have one of Kapler/TGJ - that's 11. Branyan? Dillon? Lamb?

Lots of questions.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just came on here to see if there was any news about this. I hope Russ and Sheets are healthy enough to be on it. Kapler would also be nice. I don't think Lamb can be on the roster because of when he was picked up (same thing with Coffey).

I heard rumblings of Coffey being allowed on as well. I thought it had something to do with Sheets' injury and how you're allowed to fill the playoff roster spot with a guy who wasn't on your Sept. 1st roster if a regular player goes down. Please clarify to my point to see if what I heard was true...if anyone knows.

Branyan has played alot of RF earlier in his career. I wonder if he could be an option out there. Hart is in as bad a funk as you'll ever see a player have.

Parra looked awesome on Saturday, he's a no-brainer for the bullpen.

It sucks to no end that we'll have to bring Gwynn along on the post season roster. He just hasn't earned that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm sure Sheets will be off for the NLDS. Don't know if there is any realistic chance that he recovers in the next week, but if he did and the team makes it to the NLCS, he would be on that roster.

What about Joe Dillon, instead of Gwynn for the 4th outfielder?

Must have:

CC

Gallardo

Suppan

Bush

Villanueva

McClung

Torres

Coffey (assuming this can be done)

Gagne

Mota

Shouse

Fielder

Durham

Hardy

Counsell

Weeks

Braun

Cameron

Hart

Kendall

Rivera

Hall

Gwynn (seems odd, but he's our only other OF. Speed in a pinch runner situation as well)

That's 23.

I'd probably then add Stetter and My Clam if possible (Dillon of not).

I believe you can adjust this on a series to series basis. So who knows, if there is a NLCS to worry about, maybe guys like Sheets, Brnayan, even Kapler could be added then.

Coffey can be on the roster because Riske was on the roster, and is now on the DL, so he can be replaced by someone who was not on the roster as of Sep 1. He should definitely get on there, because he has been pretty consistent since he got here.

What about Joe Dillon, instead of Gwynn for the 4th outfielder?

Only problem is who plays CF if something would happen to Cameron - or even in a double-switch. I'd rather have Gwynn's defense than Hart's. (I'd much rather have Kapler, but that isn't likely to happen.)

The related question is who is your PR? Part of me wants Escobar, as he just seems so darn fast (and a good baserunner). But, TGJ is likely a more disciplined baserunner, though that's completely based on how long he's been around - not necessarily anything I've seen. They (Escobar/TGJ) can both probably score from 1B on an XBH.

And, with the likelihood of 6 IFs already (Fielder, Weeks, Durham, Hardy, Hall, Counsell) and Branyan seemingly tweaking that injury again on Friday, I'm leaning towards TGJ as a 4th OF.

6 IF + 4 OF + 2 C + 13 P (4 SPs/9 RPs, with that distinction becoming more nebulous with Gallardo/McCLung/Parra/even Suppan)

He can lay down a bunt better than Escobar, too, probably, though he's failed at times at that.

All bets are off if they can sneak Lamb. MLB.com has him on the 40-man... same as Coffey...

Coffey can be on the roster because Riske was on the roster, and is now on the DL, so he can be replaced by someone who was not on the roster as of Sep 1. He should definitely get on there, because he has been pretty consistent since he got here.

So then is it also safe to say that Lamb can be on, in place of say Kapler or Branyan? If yes, I would say the only open question is Lamb vs Dillon. I'd probably pick Lamb. Or, given the situation, maybe you bring another pitcher -DeFelice perhaps.

I'm not positive, but I don't think this is right. Coffey and Lamb are not eligible for postseason, because they were not with the Brewers' organization on 9/1. Injured players can only be replaced with guys that were with the Brewers organization on 9/1 (although not necessarily on the major league roster at the time).

I am very interested to see how Svuem manages the pen with fewer hands on deck. He did a good job optimizing matchups in his 12 game stretch, but that's much easier to do when you have 20 pitchers. Now he'll have a normal sized pen, and it will be much more difficult.

I'm not positive, but I don't think this is right. Coffey and Lamb are not eligible for postseason, because they were not with the Brewers' organization on 9/1. Injured players can only be replaced with guys that were with the Brewers organization on 9/1
This is my understanding as well. Lamb not a big deal, but losing Coffey would be a huge blow.

The only reason people think Coffey could be on his because Ken Rosenthal said he would be on the roster. So Rosenthal could turn out to be an idiot how got my hopes up. I would prefer Coffey to be on the roster, no doubt about it.

I think we need 2 lefties out of the pen, so Stetter might have a chance, but I really don't know who they would leave off of the roster. There isn't an obvious choice. If Coffey doesn't qaulify I would add Stetter.

They'll have 2 w/o Stetter, as Shouse and Parra will be on.

I'm pretty unimpressed with Rosenthal. His "scoops" all seem to be second and third hand, and he often reports his opinions as facts. Add to it his case of little man disease, saying he'd never vote for the HoF any "tainted" player...while never saying what classifies as tainted, he is seriously lacking as one of the top guys in his profession.

They'll have 2 w/o Stetter, as Shouse and Parra will be on.

I'm pretty unimpressed with Rosenthal. His "scoops" all seem to be second and third hand, and he often reports his opinions as facts. Add to it his case of little man disease, saying he'd never vote for the HoF any "tainted" player...while never saying what classifies as tainted, he is seriously lacking as one of the top guys in his profession.

Oops, forgot about Parra. I don't know if he is a guy I want to count on to get an important lefty out however. But he did pitch very well on Friday.

For the Phillies series, I'd keep all 3 lefties on the roster. I don't wanna see Howard or Utley facing a righty late in a game EVER. So for the first round, at least, my roster would be:

Pitchers(12): Bush, Gagne, Gallardo, McClung, Mota, Parra, Sabathia, Shouse, Stetter, Suppan, Torres, Villanueva.

Catchers(2): Kendall, Rivera

Infielders(7): Counsell, Durham, Fielder, Hall, Hardy, Nelson, Weeks

Outfielders(4): Braun, Cameron, Gwynn, Hart

My last spot went to Nelson, and that's only assuming Branyan can't go. I just like having a lefty with some power coming off the bench.

Tom H manages to put up a blog post about the postseason roster w/o ever answering who the 25th man will be. Nelson or Dillon...or I suppose it could be Rottino, DiFelice, or even Escobar.
I noticed that too- that's why I came to this thread. His post didn't answer my question about Branyan or Dillon. I want Branyan on the roster-- and playing 3b against RHP, but that's another thread. I would rather Dillon over Gwynn in case of a OF injury, but I suppose Gwynn could be a PR asset. In that case if an injury occurs, I'd consider Hall to the OF; but that probably wouldn't happen.

Archived