Brewer Fanatic

5/5/06 Brewers (Capuano) @ Dodgers (Lowe), 9:40 PM CST

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I'm sorry but I just don't agree with Yost (did he even make the call since he's canned?) for not putting in Turnbow here. I hate when we always have to wait to get a lead to use him. Even at home he won't use him in tie games.

I agree 100%. I made a post regarding this last season. It's a classic case of playing him only for the save situation, which is foolish.

You need 0 runs in the 9th to have a chance. Any other result, you lose. The next inning? You're going to have to worry about that when the time comes, but for now, you need to give up 0 just to not lose. Why not use your pitcher that gives you the best chance for that?

This is a very disappointing loss especially after getting back in the game. I hate that homeplate ump right now, but I also am concerned that we have virtually no one in the bullpen besides Turnbow and maybe Kolb right now that I can feel confident that can hold a tie or lead.

Oh, I'm not. I haven't been confident in him all year long regardless of what his ERA may suggest. He's not as deceptive as last year with that "killer" changeup and his fastball is meat. It just seems like every game he's in, he gives up a hit or walk to make things more difficult than they were last season.

I dunno about bring in turnbow. Don't wanna wear the guy out.

Just saw the replay of the Nomar hit. He was looking into his dugout when he swung at that pitch. One of the luckiest hits you'll see.

Once again. Stupid Shift!

It just seems like every game he's in, he gives up a hit or walk to make things more difficult than they were last season.

We definitely could use another arm, and I agree his deception is down this year, but Turnbow should have been in there anyway. It's stupid not to use him. Just saying that Wise shouldn't normally be in those situations if Yost was using his best option, but apparently a closer can only pitch in a save opportunity or when we're up 10. Dumb.

This game was garbage...It's tough to come back like that and then lose on a questionable (to put it lightly) call.

I thought today woud be the best shot at a win...Oh well, we'll just have to get 'em Saturday and Sunday.

Good job everyone who stayed up past midnight, sorry we didn;t get the job done..

Yeah...why does it seem like many of the other teams we play aren't afraid to bring in their closer to get some outs in the 8th or pitch in non-close situations to keep the game even? I think this may be one of his Bobby Cox type of mindsets that he adopted???

Quote:
I dunno about bring in turnbow. Don't wanna wear the guy out.

Wear him out?? He has pitched 2 innings in the last 8 games. I hardly think wearing him out was a factor in him not being put in in the 9th today.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't want to see Turnbow burnt like toast either, but when the game is on the line, I don't like the arbitrary decision that you *can't* use your best reliever because the score dictates that it's not his time to come in.

I don't know if it would have been the best move to bring in Turnbow, but I'd at least like to know that if it IS the best move, that's what'll be done.

And I don't have a world of faith in Wise right now either.

Verified Member

It's still bugging me that Jenkins swung at the first pitch when he had a chance to drive in the leading run in the 9th.

The failure to score with runners on 2nd and 3rd and only one out will probably keep me awake all night tonight.

*sigh*

Well to me, it's simple logic. You can't win the game unless you get through the inning. You have one guy that gives you a better shot of that happening than anybody else. But yet you "save" him so that if you can get some runs later, THEN you get get your best shot at giving up no runs.

Well, later doesn't come if you don't get through the inning first!

See, THESE are the games we are going to need to win these games if we are going to contend. Yes, I know it's early, and yes I know we've played a tough schedule. We're 16-14, which isn't horrible considering our schedule, but it's not what would be "contending" later on in the season.

Tonight, we played an inferior opponent, with arguably our best pitcher starting. We had a good chance to gain ground with our division competition losing. We couldn't get the offense going until it was too late, and when it really counted, we came up short with runners in scoring position and 1 out again. Then a questionable call in the 9th to "save" our best reliever for later ended things for good.

These things do happen from time to time...but, if we finish 87-75 and miss out rather than 90-72 and getting to the playoffs, games like these are the ones we are going to come back and say "man....what if"?

Verified Member

I still can't sleep right now. This loss was such a bummer. It's going to keep me awake all night. The difference between 4 games above. 500 and 2 games above .500 feels so huge.

I am just dying to see this team take off and really get hot. I know good teams win by taking 3 out of 5 but I really want to sweep everyone and climb up the ladder much faster.

I tell ya, it is so hard to keep a level head and maintain perspective.

It's still bugging me that Jenkins swung at the first pitch when he had a chance to drive in the leading run in the 9th.

Apparently he guessed he'd see a strike there and he was right. Why would that bug you?

Why the bashing on Jenkins and Wise? Jenkins has been hitting *very* well lately, and he has one oh-for and everyone is ripping him! He was the only guy to hit Schmidt, and he hit a huge home run on Thursday. Lighten up!

Also, why no trust in Wise? He gives up a slap bunt, and a cue-shot lucky hit. I don't think he is to blame at all. Luck happens.

I agree with Stevo 100%.

Jenkins has been on fire, and he got a pitch he could handle, and hit it hard.

Also, I'm as big a critic of the old-fashioned "save the closer" mentality as anybody, but I think using Wise there was ABSOLUTELY the right call. In fact, I was thrilled when I saw him out there; teams often are too strict with the "save the setup man" mentality as well and only bring him in in the 8th with a lead. First of all, you can't automatically say "bring in Turnbow" every time there's a crucial situation in a game. I agree with bringing him in in the 8th - even the 7th - with the tying run on base and 3-4-5 coming up, but if you automatically use him in a tie game on the road, you'll wear him out. On TWO OCCASIONS this year, he pitched in 4 straight games, and that was only in save situations! Second, Wise has been shaky here and there early this season, but last year he was unbelievable, and is still the guy I wanna see out there in tough situations.

For the record, I even would've been fine with Capellan in that situation. Turnbow would've been fine there, but the situation didn't demand him.

I was at the game.

Brewers played a good game. They hustled. They made great defensive plays. They played with fire. Ump screwed the team by making a crucially bad call on Cirillo. Yost got tossed and continued to argue with he Ump and the Ump stood there and took it cause Yost was right.

Lowe was on and still the Dogers got extremely lucky.

Archived