Brewer Fanatic

Line up the Rotation for the Phillies / Yo starting game one (reply 65ish)

bjkrautk
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like it to be:

Gallardo

Sabathia

Bush

Gallardo

Sabathia

But think it will be:

Suppan

Sabathia

Gallardo

Bush

Sabathia

I think Dale is going to put a lot of stock in Suppan's "big game" reputation and start him game one. I think they should try to get the most out of their two best pitchers (Gallardo and Sabathia), but I guess it would make some sense to have Gallardo start in Milwaukee in an attempt to bring him back slowly and limit his at-bats. Also, the Pirates were nice enough not to try it, but I could see the Phillies testing Gallardo's knee with a few bunts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Game 1: Scott Karl

Game 2: Jeff Juden

Game 3: Ben Diggins

Game 4: Ruben Quevedo

Game 5: Wes Obermueller

Rotation of the damned!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Game 1: Yovani Gallardo

Game 2: CC Sabathia

Game 3: Jeff Suppan

Game 4: Yovani Gallardo (possibly abbreviated start followed by Villa)

Game 5: CC Sabathia

The primary reason we acquired Suppan was because he's proven at the very least to not be phased by the pressure of the playoffs. Dave Bush was fine this season, better than Suppan, but playoffs are somewhat of a different animal. Bush so often hasn't even been able to handle the adversity when things go awry in an individual inning of a midseason game. He shouldn't be given the nod over Suppan.

Yovani Gallardo is an ace level pitcher, who has been cool under pressure. Pitch him as much as his arm allows.

Villanueva has performed in some big innings against tough opponents throughout his career. He almost looks like he's asleep on the mound. If the Brewers need to preserve a lead or keep the team alive after an early struggle from one of the starters, he should be the first option out of the pen.

McClung should get serious consideration for some closing situations after the way Torres has faded and really struggled against better competition. When McClung is amped his fastball reaches 98 MPH, and he can throw it by players for strikes, which is necessary in the 9th when they know even on 1-1 or 2-2 counts you have to come in the zone because the worst case scenario is walking a batter. I don't want Howard, Utley, or J-Roll knowing that a 92 MPH fastball is on its way.

Game 1: Scott Karl

Game 2: Jeff Juden

Game 3: Ben Diggins

Game 4: Ruben Quevedo

Game 5: Wes Obermueller

Rotation of the damned!

Ben Diggins! That is awesome. Did he not just have one start in Chicago where he didnt get out of the first?

so call me crazy, i'd just like to play a little devil's advocate here:
each and every of 54 posts up until now has assumed that CC is going games 2 and 5. And I'm fine with that, too.
but in the name of scientific discovery, can we even explore the other option?
for the record, I know CC will ask for the ball Thursday - and I have now taken the stance that CC should be in a 1960s style 4 man rotation and that he is settled into this particular groove.
like, if you had pitched 15 straight starts on 4 days rest, the first time you pick up the ball on 3 has to be the biggest adjustment, right? but now that his body has become accustomed to the workload routine, it is responding and regenerating the way it needs to.
BUT, what if Suppan (for the sake of argument) "steals" game 1 against Hamels? Would it then not make sense to throw Gallardo game 2 on 6 days rest? Thereby leaving CC ready to go for either the close-out (!) or pivotal game 3 on a veritable vacation for him at (undefeated) home on 5 days rest?
Note that this also puts CC starting game 1 of the NLCS on "regular" 4 day rest.
What is the etiquette / protocol regarding announcing your starters then changing them? Could Dale pencil in CC for game 2 and then scratch him? Is that kosh?

Checking baseball-reference.com, Diggins actually started 5 games in Sept 2002, and two of the five were "quality" starts. The other three were awful, including his major-league debut in Chicago where he gave up 8 runs in an inning and a third.

I guess I was hoping for Matt Kinney and Ben Hendrickson myself.

Anyone who saw Suppan pitch in Philly a couple of weeks ago can't possible suggest he should be pitching there again in the post season.

thanks for giving it some thought. But fine, if you insist - here is my proposed rotation assuming game 1 is "stolen":

Gallardo (5) - Villy - McClung

Bush (4) - Parra

OFF

CC (5)

Suppan (8)

OFF

Gallardo (5) - Jonny Wholestaff

Again, this sets up CC to start game 1 of the NLCS on 4 days rest - WHICH MEANS: CC has the opportunity to pitch 3 full games against the Dodgers / Cubs.

Anyone who saw Suppan pitch in Philly a couple of weeks ago can't possible suggest he should be pitching there again in the post season.

thanks for giving it some thought.

3 2/3 innings, 8 hits, 6 runs, 4 walks. On September 14. In Philly.

Doesn't take a whole lot of thought to think just maybe Suppan isn't the best option. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

ETA: If his most recent Philadelphia nightmare isn't enough to scare you, he's started 2 other games in Philly the past couple of years: 10 innings, 17 hits, 13 runs (9 earned), 4 homers, 3 walks.

So in his last 3 starts there: 13 2/3 innings, 25 hits, 15 ER's, 5 homers, 7 walks.

Again, this sets up CC to start game 1 of the NLCS on 4 days rest - WHICH MEANS: CC has the opportunity to pitch 3 full games against the Dodgers / Cubs.

Well, you have to get there first. And if the series doesn't go 5 games, Sabathia would be ready to pitch 3 in the NLCS anyway. I'd rather have him set up to pitch two in the NLDS if needed.

I don't think the Crew has earned the right to look past anyone. Like it has been said countless times, only looks so far ahead as todays game. Don't even think about the NLCS, lineup the rotation to make it through the NLDS and worry about the NLCS later. There is absolutely no reason to not start CC in 2 games.

If CC is wearing down, that would be a great reason not to start him for game 2. He hasn't shown any obvious signs of fatigue, at least insofar as it affecting performance. That doesn't mean that the Brewers should take it for granted. He better be closely monitored.

I just can't understand this Suppan situation. Bush easily outperformed Suppan this year. It wasn't even close. On top of that, Suppan has been horrible for a month now. He was lucky to escape that last start relatively unscathed, IMO. Is there really any question who's the better overall pitcher?

Is there any other sport where fans would argue starting the inferior player, just because he had prior success in the playoffs? Baseball has the history and culture that allows the playoffs to have a very special atmosphere. The season is so long that to have it all decided on in a couple of weeks is exhilarating for the fans. But in the end, it's the same game that they've been playing for 162 games. The stakes are higher, of course but that's true for any sport. You don't play your #5 WR over your #3 one just because of playoff experience. You play your best players and Suppan isn't one of them, IMO.

This is the playoffs. You shouldn't hold anything back and that includes not starting yovani because he's on the road. The kid has ice water in his veins and I want him out there as he's 2nd best SP.

I'd go with this:

1-Yo

2-CC

3-Bush/McClung

4-Yo

5-CC

It would be real hard to give Suppan the ball after his playoff performances, but we need our best pitchers out there and he isn't one of them.

You don't play your #5 WR over your #3 one just because of playoff experience.

I see your point, but baseball is a much more 'individual' sport than football is. I'm not saying Suppan should or shouldn't start, but when it's an individual setting like it is on a big time stage some guys may pitch better or worse because of it.

I guess I won't be mad if Suppan/Bush/Yo starts game 1 as long as there's logic behind it. The one thing that concerns me about Yo is obviously the fact he hasn't pitched most of the year and now he's our starter in game 1? I guess that doesn't worry me if we know what his real leash is. If Yo only goes say 2 or 3 innings, the Brewers could be screwed. We don't have all the extra pitching and it pretty much forces CC to go deep into the game. CC is a great pitcher don't get me wrong...I just don't know if I want any pitcher taking the mount on short rest with little bullpen help.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
JSOnline is saying Gallardo will start game 1.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Good choice Dale. I think that McClung may have been the difference. He knows Yo is 4-5 innings max. To have a long reliever he is confident in to back him up makes a difference. Villy too with Parra & Shouse to get Howard out. Soup in that band box scares me...he's just not that healthy. Bush has earned the start this year. When he's off, he can be brutal, but he has delivered for most of the year.

Yo/McClung

CC

Bush

Short hook Soup with all hands on deck

CC

I would go:

Yo

CC

Bush

TBD (between Yo and Soup)

CC

A bigger concern for me is the bullpen. I would save McClung for the point in the game when things get rough rather than starting him. I have no idea what Sveum plans to do for a closer. Right now Torres is not the man I would use. At this point I would much rather use Mota or Gagne. At least they have been pitching better lately while Torres hasn't..

Archived