Brewer Fanatic

Line up the Rotation for the Phillies / Yo starting game one (reply 65ish)

bjkrautk

I would go Bush, CC, Gallardo, Bush, CC

I wouldn't mind Gallardo going game 1 but I am going to Game 3 and I would rather watch Gallardo

Myers has been getting roughed up lately so Game 2 would seem to be a major advantage to the Brewers. Hamels is tough for sure, Game 1 will be an uphill battle no matter who we throw out there

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Start it off with Yo/McClung, then go CC, Bush, Soup, CC.

And if the brewers win game 1, you absolutely still throw CC in game 2. Not only do you need to have him rested for a potential game 5, but you do everything you can to pick up a second game in philly if youve got that chance.

Even with Sheets' injury, Suppan might be the Brewer's 5th best starter. Gallardo will be rested up, so you have to go with him game 1, IMO. Pencil McClung to relieve him and give 2-3 innings. After that, the decisions get A LOT tougher. I don't like the thought of pitching CC on 3 days rest yet again, since the average starter just isn't as good doing it. Sabathia hasn't looked like the average starter while doing it, though, so I think I'd roll the dice and give him game 2. Bush game 3. Do you bring Gallardo back on 3 days rest for game 4? I think that would be irresponsible personally. I'd be fine with Johnny Wholestaff, myself. That leaves CC and even Gallardo available game 5, if needed. So:

Game 1: Gallardo

Game 2: Sabathia

Game 3: Bush

Game 4: Johnny Wholestaff

Game 5: Sabathia/Gallardo

If you can get it done in 4 games, you have Sabathia and Gallardo fully rested and ready to go for the next round.

why do most seem to think that Soup can't build on his last start?

this is precisely the game he was given that contract for, is it not?

Parra has been sharp, too, with some recent rest let's not forget.

I guess Suppan in game 1 CC in 2 and Gallardo in game 3 is possible? I don't know it just seems to be so up in the air. We all know CC is in the rotation it comes down to what Sveum and Maddux want to do with Yo, Supp and Bush. It will be interesting that is for sure.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

"why do most seem to think that Soup can't build on his last start?"

I have no idea if you could build on it but I don't really look at it that way. Over the entire season, he wasn't very good, so one game personally doesn't make me feel any better about him. It doesn't matter if he can emotionally handle the pressure if he doesn't have the physical skills.

Just my 2 cents.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One of beat writers noted this, and also pointed out the lefthanded power of Philly (Ryan Howard in particular - who has a .756 OPS vs lefties as opposed to a .947 OPS vs righties). Of course that opens up opportunities to the righties - like Burrell and Werth. Manny has given up a sub 700 OPS to lefties - but almost an .800 OPS to righties. Not sure I'd do it, but it's an option.

why do most seem to think that Soup can't build on his last start?

this is precisely the game he was given that contract for, is it not?

Because even though Soup didn't give up many runs and made a couple good pitches in later innings they were killing the ball pretty much his entire start. He easily could have given up 5 or 6 ER in that game and left by the 3rd inning.

I'm more interested in the bullpen situation. Do we try McClung at closer eventhough he hasn't closed a game all year and was even a starter for most of it? Villanueva perhaps? Does that push Torres to pitch the 8th? What's Parra's role? Do we even risk a Gagne blow up?

I think rluz's rotation is right on, with maybe Suppan instead of Johnny Wholestaff. If Sveum chooses to go with McClung as closer (which we of course have no idea if this is even something he's thinking about), we still have Parra and Villy who can come in for Yo and go multiple innings.

Man, how much fun would it be to see someone who loves the Brewers as much as McClung get the save in a World Series clinching win? The only other player I'd rather see on the mound if we won the whole thing would be Sheets, but that's not going to happen.

The only other player I'd rather see on the mound if we won the whole thing would be Sheets, but that's not going to happen.

What about CC in a complete game

I just mean if someone said that the Brewers would definitely win it all and I could pick the guy to be on the mound for that final out, I would pick Sheets because of how great he's been and how much he's been through with the team.

Just like if we lose in the NLDS, I hope the Phillies win because I want Geoff Jenkins to get a ring.

Game 1 - Suppan on a short leash with McClung on call. They make a great piggy-back - Suppan's junk-balling followed by McClung's heat. Tough for hitters to adjust from one to the other. Like someone said, this is why they gave him the money.

Game 2 - CC

Game 3 - Bush - very good at home

Game 4 - Gallardo piggy-back w/McClung or Villy

Game 5 - CC

My only hope with Suppan is that whenever he starts a game, Sveum has a very quick hook at the first sign he's in trouble and/or the Phillies are ripping liners that just are lucky to be finding gloves. Either McClung or Villanueva have to be up quickly, Sveum being proactive so that the Phillies don't have guys on base with a big bat due up, but Suppan isn't pulled before it's to late because guys in the pen aren't warm yet.

I know Suppan pitched well the other day (although he did work out of a few jams and they were hitting the ball hard in the first couple of innings), but I'm still not comfortable with him starting. I would prefer something like this.

Game 1 - Bush (with Parra, Suppan, McClung, Villy support)
Game 2 - CC
Game 3 - Gallardo (with Parra, Suppan, McClung, Villy support)
Game 4 - Bush (with Parra, Suppan, McClung, Villy support)

Game 5 - CC

Side note: Why does the spacing on my posts get all messed up sometimes? I could not type anything right below game 4, it automatically spaced a line in there. This happens to me a lot.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Do people not want Gallardo to pitch game 1 because he is young or because he might not physically be ready to do so? All else equal, I'll take the experience but things are not close to equal. Yo is about a 1.5 runs/9 better than Suppan. There's not enough veteran presence in the world to make up that gap.

Gallardo is ready and able. He is a supremely talented pitcher. Play your best players.

Gallardo is ready and able. He is a supremely talented pitcher. Play your best players.
I agree...Gallardo is one cool cat. I was at the game Thursday and it did look like the emotion/adrenaline of the early innings coupled with teh lack of work caught up to him quickly and he tired, but he wasn't going to go much deeper anyway. I think the key if the Brewers are to win Game 1 is to avoid getting in an early hole, and maintain until some of the excitement and emotion of teh game wears down, and simply based on ability, I think Gallardo probably provides the best option for that. I'd be fine running the experience of Suppan out there as well - he's obviously been there - but given the way the last couple weeks have gone, Yo is my guy, and hope the bullpen can handle the last 5 innings or so.

1. Gallardo

2. Sabathia

3. Bush

4. Suppan or Gallardo depending on how Gallardo does in game 1 and whether they are up or down in series. If they are up 2-1, I'd go with Suppan to save Gallardo. If it's an elimination game, I'd go with the better arm and that's Yo.

5. Sabathia

Bingo. Bush in Philly is scary, but you can't start him Game 1 and he has no chance to pitch Game 2. This makes the most sense because if gallardo can only go five, the bullpen is fully rested for game one and you cannot really rush him on three days rest for Game 4. He could then be available in the pen maybe for that game or a game 5.

Archived