Brewer Fanatic

playoff strategy

Ennder

What would you like to see us do in the playoffs for rotation, lineup, bullpen etc?

I would go with a rotation of Gallardo, Sabathia, Bush I would think.

Go with the normal Lineup against lefties and if Hart doesn't look better against Hamels sit him against Myers since he struggles more against righties.

I think I'd have to stick with Torres as the closer until he struggles and then I'd go with the hot hand who right now is McClung most likely.

This thread should be combined with the Playoff rotation thread.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

We have one thread devoted to the rotation, might as well use this for the other stuff. I'm guessing that the Brewers use 4 starters: Gallardo, CC, Bush, Suppan. McClung, Villenueva are multi-inning guys to piggyback for Gallardo or Suppan if he doesn't have his stuff.

The regulars are obvious: Fielder, Durham/Weeks, Hardy, Counsell/Hall, Braun, Cameron, Hart, Kendall/Rivera.

Bullpen locks: Torres, Gagne, Mota, Shouse.

By my count, that is 21 locks (or locks in my opinion). Kapler has said on Bob and Brian the last couple of weeks that he hoped to return. I know he's just a positive guy, but I don't think he's ready. Maybe he comes back for a hopedul LCS. So the team needs at least one more OF, and maybe a utility guy to be a 5th. I see the options as being Gywnn, Nelson and maybe Dillon. I could see Gwynn making it because of the possibility of being a Pinch Runner. Nelson obviously gives them the better LH bat for a pinch hit. Dillon could make it on his veteran presence and his defensive utility. I think how many of those 3 make it depends heavily on how many pitchers they take.

I think they probably add Stetter. Other than that, Sveum has only used Coffey (who I don't believe is eligible despite what some writers have said) and DiFelice in limited appearances. I guess the 25th spot goes down to DiFelice or having a 5th OF. I'm guessing that Sheets and Kapler are out for this series, and I don't think Branyan can take up a spot if he is only eligible for PH duty and is still banged up.

Edit: For some reason, I wrote something about Parra and didn't submit it. Anyway, a big question is what his arm strength is right now. If he is available as a swingman, he definitely should make the roster ahead of DeFelice. I guess I just don't know where his arm strength is. It was certainly good in his last appearance.

I would like to see someone pound it into Corey Hart's head, to LAY OFF THE LOW OUTSIDE PITCH!!

If it gets called for a strike, fine.

I'm not just talking about today. He's always had that problem, but in these last two months he's gotten even worse.

If Kapler were available, I'd start him and not have Hart get off the bench outside of pinch running. But since TGJ is the only other option, you have to start Hart because he at least has the ability to hit a 3 run HR. (At least I think he does.)

Otherwise I keep the lineup the same. Rotation of Yo, CC, Bush.

Ender, I like your points, but who plays if Hart sits? Gwynn? Rottino? Nelson? Branyan?

Branyan and Gamel can catch a flyball, right? Won't ever happen, we'll have to hope Hart clears his head.

I don't think either one of them can catch a flyball right now. It really is unfortunate, because having one of those guys healthy would improve the team.

I would love to see a rotation of

Game 1-Yo, piggybacked with Suppan

Game 2-CC, piggybacked with CC

Game 3-Bush, piggybacked with Parra

Repeat throughout the playoff run.

Torres would be my set up guy and McClung the closer.

I know it wouldn't be likely but I personally feel that would be the best way to utilize our talent.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived