Brewer Fanatic

9/28/08 Cubs (Guzman) at Brewers (Sabathia): 1:05 PM CDT

wibadgers23

I was at many big Brewer games in the early 80's, with my father, who passed in 2004.

We were at the game in '81 when Fingers struck out Whitaker to clinch the first Brewer playoff spot. We were at the Division Series against the Yankees that year.

We were also at the ALCS in '82. Interviewed by channel 6 out of Milwaukee during game. We were at the World Series that year too.

This huge win brings back so many memories and brings on quite a few tears too. I was in my bar, that my father and I owned together, when the Brewers clinched. Could there be a better place for me to be? Maybe Box 36 in County Stadium, but that would be the only better place.

A great season already. Can only get better, in my opinion. Go get em Crew.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CC and Ryan agree with David Bowie: We can be heroes, just for one day.

I attended my first Brewer game in September 1983 (at age 16), watched the Orioles clinch the AL East, and wondered what it must have been like to experience the same in 1982. I've wondered that for part of every game I've attended since (some games, only for a split second, but always part of every game).

Sweet lord, now I know, and it was beautiful. I've seen the highlights a bunch of times already, but I can't get enough of them. I could spend the whole night sitting here, shaking my head and saying, "Ryan freaking Braun. CC freaking Sabathia", and it would never get old.

September 28 just keeps coming up big in Brewers history. The last game at County Stadium was September 28, 2000. Mark Attanasio's birthday is September 28. The Brewers were eliminated from the 2007 playoff race on September 28. And now we have a September 28 that may never be topped.

I'm grateful for today, and happy for us all.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

September 28 just keeps coming up big in Brewers history. The last game at County Stadium was September 28, 2000. Mark Attanasio's birthday is September 28. The Brewers were eliminated from the 2007 playoff race on September 28. And now we have a September 28 that may never be topped.

That is kind of crazy and very ironic. Don't you think? I was at the zoo today with a bunch of family today for the DS Buddy Walk and did not hear a single pitch of the game until we got into the car and heard Uecker's call of Durham's neat HR in the 8th which of course was followed up by Braun's HR in the 8th. I don't know in my 26 years alive if I heard Ueck more excited then on that HR call. Wow. It distracted my Dad so much that he almost took 45 south to get him instead of 45 north. It was crazy.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I didn't know what to do when they turned that double play to finish the game. I wanted to yell at the top of my lungs, jump around the room, and in general make a giant scene. I only had a split second to make my decision. My girlfriend was sitting on the couch and my dog was laying quietly on the floor. I knew that the appropriate response did not involve tackling my girlfriend so I mauled my dog instead. I made the correct decision.

I just got back from some celebrating... what an incredible day. I'm 23, my first ballgame- Easter Sunday 87. Been hooked since I was 2, when my grandparents sat me down in front of a TV with the Brewers on and I was in love. I've been waiting for this day my whole life, and I'm not too proud to say I was wiping away tears when the final out of the Mets game was recorded.

I called my Grandma about an hour or so after the game, I haven't heard her that happy since my Grandpa passed away. And to me that's the beautiful thing about baseball, how devotion for a team is passed down, and how strong that bond is. Today made all those losing seasons, all those "almost" moments worth it.

I don't know how I'm gonna fall asleep tonight...

What a crazy week we all just witnessed!

Game winning homers from Fielder and Weeks - and two from the slumping Ryan Braun!

The return, from nowhere, of Yovanni Gallardo - just in time!

One run through five innings from the previously flammable Jeff Suppan - just in time!

Seth McClung, with a great pitching performance, that happened to include a catcher's interference and a run scored!

Craig Counsell standing in there, forcing the pitcher to throw strikes - tying the final game with a bases-loaded walk!

Ray Durham with a key double in both of the wins vs the Cubs!

Corey Hart with a great throw to the plate, followed by an alert play from Kendall, to kill a Cubs rally Friday night!

Mike Cameron with a diving catch Friday night, and a base hit ahead of Braun's homer on Sunday!

It's a team sport, folks, and that's what we just witnessed!

In case you're wanting to relive the goosebumps, FSN is showing the replay and we're heading into the 8th inning... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
I was so mad I missed that. Had I known it was on I would have taped that game and kept it forever. I'm sure they will show it again at some point and I will be able to tape it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

"Hey," the guy behind me said to me, "Do you see that W?"

"What?" We hadn't talked much during the game, so I wasn't tuning into his voice.

"That W in Waste Management... do you see it?" I think he pointed. I don't remember exactly.

"Oh, over there, yeah."

"That's where Braun's hitting it."

"Ahh, yeah I see it. All right." We'll see, I thought. I don't want to bet against that.

The W, at least from our vantage point, was directly above the Brewers bullpen, probably 450 feet from home plate.

Ten seconds later, the stadium erupted. Even before the eruption, as soon as the ball jumped off Braun's bat, I turned around to face the fortune-telling stranger. Like a 7 year old (I was born in 1975), I was laughing, high fiving to everyone, screaming. I laughed most of the drive back to Minneapolis.

The rest of the game was a blur to me. I remember screaming YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES as the ball rolled to Durham, found its way to Hardy and then to Fielder. I just wish I would have thought to bring a radio to hear Bob Uecker's call.

I didn't see how close the ball actually came to the W. My friend said it was within twenty feet.

Whoever you are that called Braun's shot, thank you for making the best moment of my baseball-watching career that much better. I assume that you must be a brewerfan regular... I needed to bear witness to your brilliance.

Archived