Brewer Fanatic

Game #162 - Brewer Nation, how do you feel ?

AJAY

I've been "All-In" pretty much all year long. Even thru the low times around the Boston series, I still thought they would make the playoffs.

Today, I am nervous, but with Sabathia on the mound, there is no doubt in my mind the Crew will win.

Can't wait to get to the park. We splurged back in February and got Club Level seats for today.

It's gotta happen, it's just just gotta!! I wanna see it done here.

Go Crew!!

Go Marlins!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have made my peace with another season out of the playoffs for the Brewers 2008 season, and there are good reasons for my pessimism:

- They waited too long to pull the trigger on launching Ned. It should have been done after Game 162 LAST year, and the damage he did to the clubhouse, with his polyanna "But we're still in first place" attitude, left us with virtually no room for error once Dale took over.

- The Mets can hit all day long, and the Marlins are only so-so.

- The game is in Shea Stadium.

- The Cubs will try as hard as possible to beat us.

- That damned Reed Johnson will find a way to either injure another key Brewer, or make another amazing sliding diving miracle catch to kill a Brewer rally. He wasn't capable of any of these heroics in Toronto, but in Cubbyland, he's Superman.

- Similarly, Jim Edmonds didn't even seem like he was trying as a Padre, but for the lovable Cubbies, he's an All-Star again.

- Henry Blanco, too.

- Corey Hart is the anti-Carlos Lee, inthat, when a key RBI is on the line, he becomes baseball-incontinent, and he's starting again today.

- Hart, with his .470 OPS in September, IS starting because Gabe Kapler can't. And we could use a cool, productive veteran like Gabe on a day like today.

- While CC has been very good lately, he hasn't been no-hitter-threatening great. And he'll need to be, since stranding runners in scoring position is something most Brewers are becoming really goos at, this month.

- Ben Sheets was again too fragile to do his job, so we're forced to mix and match today.

- Last reason? Because it's the Brewers. I can't imagine us in the playoffs.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I've accepted the fact that this team will not make the playoffs. They have proven during this last month that they cannot come through when it counts and any kind of serious pressure leads to them not performing the way they've done all year. Other than 3-4 clutch ABs late in games recently, they have been hitting horribly, struggling to score 3+ runs or have 6+ hits in many games. The added do-or-die pressure today will overcome the team, and especially if they get behind early, those 27 outs will start counting down quickly with each pop-out and strike out.

And even worse will the the fact that it's the Cubs, and their fans will be all too willing to remind us for the forseeable future about how they dealt us these crushing blows in our one best shot of ending the drought.

Oh well. Time to leave for the game. I guess we'll re-stock the minors and can "go for it" again in around 2011 or so. Good thing 3,000,000 people buying tickets and spending money will allow us to remain a contender next year. Oh wait, no it won't. New owner, same as the old owner.

This has been an emotional roller coaster of a month. The Brewers looked to be completely done two weeks into the month. I've had some rough times at work. I received some not-so-good news from my family. And then this final week of the season.

I had avoided this thread until now, and a small part of me is still wishing I had continued to avoid it. jflick's post brought the emotions over the top (again). The disappointments yesterday have me dreading (a little) watching the game today, but I'll watch. I went to my first Brewer game 31 seasons ago, and I don't ever remember this kind of emotional upheaval (not even in 82, which I'm sorry to say I don't remember very well). I'm hoping for the best, but trying to prepare myself for the worst.

For what it's worth, this is what it means to be a fan--it's not supposed to be easy. If it was, it wouldn't be as much fun.

I had a dream last night that I couldn't see the game. I ran into Doug Melvin at a bar, and I asked him how the day went. He smiled, said the Brewers won and the Mets lost. That's why he was out at the bars, ready to celebrate. I'll take that as a psychic dream. Brewers win, Met lose, welcome to October Brewers!!!

On friday night I was out to eat and after dinner we got our fortune cookies and I opened mine and inside it said, "soon someone will make you very proud." To me, it couldn't have been referring to anyone but the Brewers. So today I am feeling very confident. It has to be a sign. GO CREW!

I just had Chinese food yesterday also and the fortune I got said, "Treat someone to flowers". I'm going to treat myself to flowers if the Brewers pull off a win today. If ever there was a must win game for the Brewers in the last 25 years it has to be this one. Go Brewers.

Never has the fate of my emotional well-being been so tied to one event. If they lose and miss the playoffs, I'll be depressed all winter. If they win and make the playoffs, I'm going to be extremely excited and $50 bucks richer (made a bet three years ago that this team would make the playoffs by this season).

I am fairly confident in a Brewer victory today... but what does that mean?

50% chance they get to celebrate in front of the home team crowd today.

50% chance they need to go on the road with a chance to celebrate in hostile territory.

So, I expect to get Brewers to make the playoffs (even if it is just the one-game variety). I'm fairly relaxed today (a good Packer game will help with that), but if they play on Monday, I'll become much more afraid of the worst.

Archived