Brewer Fanatic

Game #162 - Brewer Nation, how do you feel ?

AJAY

I feel good about the Brewers chances to win. I don't know what to think about the Mets chances to lose. Perez can be really good or really bad.

Either way, I'll be disappointed if we miss the playoffs, but it's better than what we've had to go through for most of the last 26 years.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, who is starting for the Cubs tomorrow? I've seen both Guzman and Zambrano. Anyone know for sure?

It's going to be Guzman. Zambrano was a late scratch even though Piniella initially said he'd start tomorrow. Either way it sounds like Guzman will only go 2-3 innings at most and then Lou will turn it over to the bullpen probably without Marmol and Wood however. Let's put it this way, if the Brewers can't beat a Cubs bullpen of Bob Howry, Chad Gaudin, Neal Cotts etc, then they simply don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

I consider myself a bitter Brewers fan. They haven't been to the playoffs since I was 4 years old. I've seen so many disappointments over the years. I remember the 87 team that blew a 13-0 start, the 92 team that didn't quite catch Toronto. Paul Molitor being "just a D.H.", The entire rest of the 90's, Big Blue, and so on and so on. I expect them to lose out on the playoffs. I am pessimistic that they will make it, but at the same time I will be watching them tomorrow. I have begun to watch the Brewers like I watch the Packers. Yelling and screaming at the T.V.

If they make the playoffs I will be extremely excited.

I'm nervous and very disappointed that I have to work so I can't watch.

I also am afraid that we'll go to 163 and have no real viable option to start that game.

I am kind of excited though, this is the opportunity we've been waiting 26 years for. I have high hopes we won't blow it. I get the feeling OP will blow up sometime in the middle innings and the Marlins will win going away. The score will go final in the 7th and we'll end up riding that surge to a victory.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I am also terrified yet optimistic. Wee are throwing CC going against the Cubs B Reliever and the Mets have Oliver Perex who can be be just awfukl going against Scott Olsen who can be awesome.

The key will be to jumo put to an early lead. If we fall behind I might fall apart. The Mets game will have a 3 inning head start on us so hopefully the Marlins can do to Perez what they did to Glavine on the last day last year.

I am entirely convinced that the Mets are going to win tomorrow. I really don't know about us. CC has been rather mortal against the Cubs so far (not that he's pitched badly, but he hasn't stuck it to them like he has to every other team). Our lineup is entirely capable of scoring 10 runs or being no-hit. Our closer suddenly can't be trusted, especially against the Cubs. And if it comes down to game 163, we're starting a 22 year old coming off of two knee surgeries who's pitching on the road on short rest.

So yeah, basically I'm terrified.

I'd have to say not out of hope, but I'm less hopeful than I was about 24 hours ago.

Today I felt not so much stung by the loss itself (losses happen) than irritated by the visitors' fanbase. We've over-discussed them already so I won't start that up again. But I wish the Brewers wouldn't start or finish the home season vs. the Cubs.

I'd rather have Sabathia going Sunday than any other current Brewers starter. It's a bit analagous to Don Sutton being the stopper in the last game of 1982. We just don't know which Brewers squad will show up tomorrow.

Looking at the bigger picture...I'm usually kind of down about game 162 because I never like the end of the baseball season, not even the crappy seasons. I won't like the end of the 2008 season whether it comes Sunday or Monday or next Saturday or the end of October.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This is fun, right? If I'd said at the beginning of the season that we'd be in this spot right now, you'd all have jumped at the prospect! (I'm NOT kidding.)

THIS IS FUN!

Even if the season is done tomorrow, this is fun! Hey everyone! Forget the fear! Have fun! Get some sleep. Have a drink. Don't take the season too seriously. You could wind up dead tomorrow. Most of all, this is fun, and you should be having fun. Yay Brewers for giving me an exciting season! Way to go! Woohoo! I'm having FUN!!!

If someone told us before the season that we'd be tied for the wild card going into the 162nd game we would all take it.
You've got a point. Along this line, imagine if someone had told us this on May 2 or 3, when we were all reacting to the Gallardo injury.

It should be fun. We're here because we like baseball. This is the deepest the Brewers have gone in a season (without being eliminated) since 1982. That's an accomplishment!

It's very tempting to look back and think about 'what might/could/should have been', but I'd rather focus on the peaks than the valleys from this season.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Wow, so it all comes down to this. I will not see the game. I have a family gathering at the Zoo tomorrow. I will be texting friends for updates constantly though. I was also busy today and unable to see the game because of a prior engagement. I'm just hope between missing today and tomorrow that Friday night was not the last Brewers game I see in 2008.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I just want this to be overwith! I can't image the dissapointment I will feel tomorrow if they lose. (Although I got a taste of it today). I would have liked a doubleheader today starting as soon as possible after todays game. I thank everyone on this website for the emotional comfort I have gained this year in each of the stinging losses that put us where we are today (having to win the last game, instead of clinching long ago).

No matter what happens it was a great season and if we make it, I will be in a state of joy, but if we don't I'm not going to turn on the team or anything. Baseball is the greatest sport known to mankind and the great moments of this season can't be taken away by what happens tomorrow. This is the first time that game #162 has mattered for the Brewers in quite some time and I'm pretty happy with that. Despite us losing CC and Sheets next year I like our chances as our core players continue to develop and get better, but this is a great opportunity here to take advantage so let's do it. If we don't, though, Spring Training won't be able to come soon enough.

If I'd said at the beginning of the season that we'd be in this spot right now, you'd all have jumped at the prospect! (I'm NOT kidding.)
Not without seeing how the season the rest of the season worked out. If you would've told me that we got the reigning AL Cy Young winner in early July and had a 5.5 game lead in the wildcard heading into the final month and it came down to one game I would be rather nervous/angry. Which I am.

I was 4 the last time this team made the playoffs.

I was there for the last game of the season last year and watched the Packer game at the bar in the Club.

I have tickets and am going to the most important game this team has played in my memory.

I'm neither excited nor nervous. I'm looking forward to going to a game that will carry importance and drama that I have never seen before.

I cannot remember what happened 161 times before today.

I'm not worried about the lineup.

I just wanna win, baby.

It's 11:16. I should be sleeping. Instead, I was just pacing around my bedroom, trying to explain to my wife of 8 years why I was wide awake. She doesn't understand why tomorrow is huge. I spent about 10 minutes outlining all of the reasons that have been gone over here ad nauseum...

a) CC and Ben are leaving. Although we won't be a bad team next year, this is clearly our best shot.

b) This would leave no doubt that the CC trade, at least for me, was a win. The man propelled us into the playoffs.

c) We haven't been there in 26 years. 26. I was 4. I started following the team in 1984. That's 24 years for me, hundreds and hundreds of games. Putting up with Jeff Juden's bad acting, Johnny Estrada's, Alex Sanchez's baserunning mishaps, Chuckie's Hacks. You know the list.

d) Making those great memories that the '08 team gave us stay completely untainted. Let's not have this team's legacy be a 4-15 start to September.

d) The fans. As some of you know, I am the GameCast guy for MLB.com. I do 1/2 of the games at Miller Park, and so I've gotten a little bit of a different view of the team this year. I've seen what the press box has been like in this homestand. People, even those supposedly unbiased, are unabashedly cheering for the hometown 9. I want them to win, well, mostly for myself. But I also want them to win for my friend Jon, who I talk or email with after literally every game. And my friend Rob, who will be at the game. And my Dad, who always loved Robin, and wasn't the fan in '82 that he is today, partly (or mostly) because of me. I want them to win so official scorer Tim O'Driscoll can do his first post-season game in his 22 years at the helm. I want them to win for Brewerfan.net. For Hawing. And Brian. And pessimist Geno. Fatter than Joey. All my favorite posters. Because I know how much it would mean to them. And I know how much it would mean to me.

So Go you Milwaukee Brewers. Make September 28, 2008 a day to remember forever. Just like the last day in Baltimore in '82. Game 5 of the ALCS, with Coop's hit, and Ladd's save. Just like Game 5 of the World Series, when we had a 3-2 lead heading back to Busch. Put this day, 9/28, in the history books, the media guide's, the newspapers, and most of all, in the hearts and minds of all us fans who have cheered for you all these years.

It's 11:16. I should be sleeping. Instead, I was just pacing around my bedroom, trying to explain to my wife of 8 years why I was wide awake. She doesn't understand why tomorrow is huge. I spent about 10 minutes outlining all of the reasons that have been gone over here ad nauseum...

a) CC and Ben are leaving. Although we won't be a bad team next year, this is clearly our best shot.

b) This would leave no doubt that the CC trade, at least for me, was a win. The man propelled us into the playoffs.

c) We haven't been there in 26 years. 26. I was 4. I started following the team in 1984. That's 24 years for me, hundreds and hundreds of games. Putting up with Jeff Juden's bad acting, Johnny Estrada's, Alex Sanchez's baserunning mishaps, Chuckie's Hacks. You know the list.

d) Making those great memories that the '08 team gave us stay completely untainted. Let's not have this team's legacy be a 4-15 start to September.

d) The fans. As some of you know, I am the GameCast guy for MLB.com. I do 1/2 of the games at Miller Park, and so I've gotten a little bit of a different view of the team this year. I've seen what the press box has been like in this homestand. People, even those supposedly unbiased, are unabashedly cheering for the hometown 9. I want them to win, well, mostly for myself. But I also want them to win for my friend Jon, who I talk or email with after literally every game. And my friend Rob, who will be at the game. And my Dad, who always loved Robin, and wasn't the fan in '82 that he is today, partly (or mostly) because of me. I want them to win so official scorer Tim O'Driscoll can do his first post-season game in his 22 years at the helm. I want them to win for Brewerfan.net. For Hawing. And Brian. And pessimist Geno. Fatter than Joey. All my favorite posters. Because I know how much it would mean to them. And I know how much it would mean to me.

So Go you Milwaukee Brewers. Make September 28, 2008 a day to remember forever. Just like the last day in Baltimore in '82. Game 5 of the ALCS, with Coop's hit, and Ladd's save. Just like Game 5 of the World Series, when we had a 3-2 lead heading back to Busch. Put this day, 9/28, in the history books, the media guide's, the newspapers, and most of all, in the hearts and minds of all us fans who have cheered for you all these years.

This is really a fantastic post and if there was a post of the year nomination on this board it would certainly get my vote.

The real question is what do people in Wisconsin watch tomorrow... the Brewers or the Packers? Sadly, I still say Packers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif
Well, I'm not in Wisconsin, but I will be skipping my Packers sports bar trip tomorrow in favor of watching the Brewers. The Brewers are on WGN here in Atlanta (yeah, stinks that I have to watch the Cubs broadcast, but I'll take it) and the Mets are on TBS. I plan on finally getting PIP going.

jflick1215 wrote:

d) The fans. As some of you know, I am the GameCast guy for MLB.com. I do 1/2 of the games at Miller Park, and so I've gotten a little bit of a different view of the

I had no idea we had a stringer as a member, that's really cool. Much kudos for the post as well.

I second that motion...phenomonal post. All day I've felt horrible between the Brewers and the Badgers...jflick, you've finally struck the chord and got me pumped.

I'm trying to think back to how I felt as a 15 year old after the Crew lost those first three in Baltimore or those first two in Anaheim...probably as sick and terrified as I am now. But this has truly been an awesome ride and it's not over yet. In 13 hours, perhaps the best pitcher to ever don the Brewers uniform will take his place on the mound at Miller Park...and he's big and strong enough to put all the hopes and dreams of life long Brewers fans like us on his back.

This team has excited us and frustrated us and we've debated every call by Ned/Dale, every move by DM & Mark A and everything in between...but there is one thing I've never doubted about our team...for the first time in a long time, we've got a great group of guys that want it as bad as we do. So let's get out there and get it...I for one will be screaming loud enough from LA that I expect all my pals back in the homeland to hear me!!!

GO BREWERS!!!

Archived