Brewer Fanatic

Closer by committee from here on out?

Jay Zahn
Torres is not pitching well in September. Should we try someone new for the remaining games? Or take a committee approach and just go for matchups like any other late inning. We have enough other relief pitchers to cover for him - most of the others are pitching reasonably well. It's not like Torres was ever a world beater anyway - just a nice fill in when Option A tanked.

Torres conceded that he is a bit worn down.

"I've been trying to do too much with what I don't have right now," Torres said. "I don't have 94, 95 [mph]. I have to do what I can with 88, 89..."

http://milwaukee.brewers....mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

So was the coaching staff and Sveum unaware of this, or does being the designated "closer" trump doing whatever gives the team the best chance to win?

If Torres is worn down like he says, you have to give the ball to Seth McClung. He is hot right now, I have no idea what Seth could do in that roll for a full season. But right now he comes out of the pen throws gas and is throwing strikes. Why not give him the ball today if needed and in the playoffs if needed.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'll probably get laughed off the board for this, but, in a way, I wouldn't mind seeing Eric Gagne coming full-circle and reclaiming the closer role in today's game and throughout the playoffs. Well, at least today.

Otherwise, yes, I like the idea of McClung. He's definitely got the fastball (NOW with movement!), hammer curveball, and the confidence to do just about anything.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wouldn't mind seeing Eric Gagne coming full-circle and reclaiming the closer role in today's game...

Before I knew Sveum was going to stick with CC, I said I'd rather see Gagne out there than Torres for the 9th.

I really hope Sveum just goes without a designated closer. If McClung comes in in the 7th inning and is doing as well as he has recently, just leave him in for the 8th and 9th, even if they have a lead of 3 or less. If they need to get a lefthander out in the 9th, don't hesitate to go to Shouse for that, even if the lead is 3 or less runs. Etc.

Archived