Brewer Fanatic

Best Brewer Game Since 1982?

twobrewers

My brother and I were discussing the best Brewer games since 1982 - and we couldn't come to an agreement.

So I thought I would throw it to the board and see what everyones take is on the situation, and perhaps they can throw in a game we are overlooking.

Ryan Braun Grand Slam Walk Off

Brewers battling for the playoff spot. Heroic return by Yovani Gallardo. Eric Gagne purchases 5,000 tickets to help fill the stadium. Perhaps the most significant game because of the playoff implications.

Easter Sunday 1987

Brewers had started the season 11-0. They trailed 4-1 entering the 9th inning. Rob Deer blasted a huge 3 run HR over the left field fence to tie the game. Two batters later Dale Sveum went deep with a two run homer to win the game and push the Brewers to a 12-0 start.

Juan Nieves No Hitter

Only days before the Easter Sunday miricle, Juan Nieves throws the Brewers only no hitter at Baltimore. Being the only no-hitter in Brewers history, this game has to be considered.

I argued that I think Braun's walk off grand slam might have been the best Brewer game ever. 1987 was a magical year (With Molitor's hitting streak as well), but I think it loses some of the charm on account of the fact we missed the playoffs. In addition, both the Easter Sunday and No Hitter were in April - not exactly September baseball.

I am obviously giving a lot of weight to playoff/pressure implications. Anyone have any other games that they think should be rated above those three games?

TWR, really? Wow....that would make for a good game. But seriously, has there been a more fun, exciting and nervewracking week of baseball since 82? I don't remember much about 82, being 5 and all, but that probably was exciting and nervewracking as well. But between Prince's walkoff, Braun's walkoff, Rickie's bomb last night, the return of Yo, and the studliness of McClung last night, there's been so many big things. I'm expecting the same thing this afternoon.

If were throwing games out there, I might as well mention the game vs the Twins a few years ago where Weeks and Fielder hit their first career home runs. I was there, but the first thing I did when I went home was listen to Daron Sutton's call:

"CAREER HOME RUN #1. FOR THE MAN WHO IS PRINCE WILL SOON BE KING!"

Great game, but nothing close to what's happened this week.

Hmm...

What about May 1, 2008 against the Cubs?

Yovani goes down with a torn ACL. Comes back to keep pitching. Braun doubles in the 9th inning as the Brewers score three runs to win 4-3.

I mean, the next day I wanted to cry when we found out Yovani was seriously hurt. But that was a very exciting game - albeit at Wrigley Field.

I was at the game Thursday night and every since I've been trying to understand why it just didn't have the nail-biting crazy adrenaline fan expereince as a few other games I've seen THIS YEAR. That was by far the biggest game in terms of big plays and big outcome, and yet, I was more on the edge of my seat during the Muscle's pinch hit homerun game that we lost in extras to the Twins and the Cards game in April (I think) in which Isringhausen blew the save and we won in the bottom of the ninth. Both Gagne and Isringhausen lost their closer roles in the next day or so.

How is that possible? How could a walk-off grand slam in the final week of the season to keep us in playoff contention not have the same feeling? I'm still trying to understand.

Sunday, September 28, 2008.
I will echo this. The Braun-slam could be, depends what happening in the next 24-48 hours.

I will throw in 4/22/06 Hall, Miller, Clark, Hardy, Fielder all go deep in the 4th, Bush pitched CG 4 hit shut out (1 hitter thru 7 1/3) with 9K and the Italian Sausage won as well. (Oh, and it was my birthday)

Opening day 2007 (Sheets CG 2 hitter)

Just putting it out there, how about April 23, 2007 when the Crew pulled out a 5-4 win in 12 vs the Cubs. We rally back from 4-0, Prince hits 2 bombs and Jenkins makes a diving superman like catch to save the game in the 9th.
I remember that so well.....

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/paule17/Lambeau/jenks423.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I know there are a lot of youngsters on this board so I'll mention some blasts from the past.

Sunday October 3rd, 1982, Brewers 10, Orioles 2. It didn't have a comeback like today, but it still got the Brewers into the playoffs in a game they had to win to avoid a one game playoff.

September 29th 1982, Brewers 6, Red Sox 3. This actually was the Ryan Braun game until this past week. Ned Yost breaks a 3-3 tie with a three run home run in the ninth inning to take the magic number down to one.

April 10th, 1980, Brewers 9, Red Sox 4. Opening Day saw Sixto Lezcano hit a ninth inning grand slam. The Brewers had won 95 games in 1979 and a lot of publications (this was pre-internet!) were predicting the Brewers to win the division. The opening day win and the win the next day, two grand slams in one inning, had people buzzing about the Brewers like never before.

Personally, I'd rank today's win right there with the Easter Sunday game. The younger people on the board may not have been around for that game, but it was the most surreal game that I've ever experienced. It was game where you really had to stop for a moment and try to figure out if what just happened was real. Third would be the Oct. 3 game which got the Brewers into the playoffs in 1982, which I watched on TV as a fifth grader. It's only behind this year's version because they led from the beginning to end.

Archived