Brewer Fanatic

9/27/08 Cubs (Lilly) at Brewers (Sheets): 2:55 CDT on FOX

hawing
The bullpen could have also gotten their use in on Thursday just the same as today. If he does it in one series, he should do it in the other.
If it was pouring in Miller Park today, Wood and Marmol would not have been used.

The bottom line is, Lou only gives a crap about the integrity of the WC race when it benefits his ball club, and truth be told deep down, I think he'd rather take his chances with the Mets in a possible NLCS then have to deal with CC and Gallardo.
The bottom line is that Lou is not an idiot.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wood pitched the 22nd and the 24th @NYM and got saves in both games.

Marmol pitched 22nd against the Mets too.

It sucks that we lost but stop trying to blame the other team for it. They rested most of their offense and we still didn't win.

The bottom line is that Lou is not an idiot.
No, but he's a complete jerk.

Based on what? Trying to keep his team sharp, both physiucally and mentally? You're right. Otherwise, you're the jerk for basing this post on how a manager manages a game.

I know I've few posts and am thus relatively unqualified to dive into the discussion, but are we not Brewers fans? We just lost the driver's seat on the road to October. We now have the discomfort of the Mets sitting in our laps as we navigate the previously-referenced route to the playoffs. I don't know about any of you, but I HATE having Metropolitan in my lap while I drive! We as Brewers fans should have the pride to cheer on our team, not rationalize Sweet Lou's baseball decisions.

I don't know for sure whether or not the Cubs want to stick it to the Brewers as a personal thing. I do know that Piniella probably made the right calls so far in both the Mets series and the Brewers series. Does that knowledge make my furious hatred of the Cubs lessen? Hell no. I hate them and their miserably frat-yuppie fanbase with the intensity of a thousand suns.

Regardless of whether or not Piniella is coaching to embarrass our beloved beermakers, we cannot and should not be defending his managerial decisions. Openly hating the Cubs and their skipper does not mean someone doesn't understand baseball. Rather, it means we are being a true fan...short for fanatic!

I don't want to hear another word about how Lou is managing well or fairly. We hate the Cubs and everything about them right now. Irrationally is how I'm rolling today and probably tomorrow. I'm cheering for the Brewers whole-heartedly, but I refuse to even admit Piniella is doing this managing thing correctly or fairly.

I think a lot of you were fooled by the last 4 games. Just because they won didn't mean they were playing well. They haven't hit well all month, and were bailed out by late-game HRs a few times this week.

I fully expect them to lose by 4-6 runs tomorrow, with Sveum taking out CC early so he doesn't get hurt for his next team once they are losing by enough runs. And of course the Mets will win easily with Perez.

This team has no heart and hasn't played a complete game well all month long, so there is no reason to believe that tomorrow will be any different. CC is overworked and can't do it alone.

Sorry if this seems like a "vent" post, but it got a little tiring seeing you all making playoff plans and all that when the team obviously couldn't care less about playing like a playoff team.

Hello all. I'm a Cubs fan, and I'm just having a hard time understanding what some of you mean when saying Lou is trying to "show up" the Brewers. First of all, Lou Pinella isn't a Cubs fan that has a deep hatred for Milwaukee, he's only doing what he thinks is best for the team.

If he really wanted to show up you guys, there would be at least a couple regulars starting today. Using Wood and Marmol is not to humiliate the Crew, it's to keep them sharp until Wednesday.

I don't think Pinella is basing everything he does on keeping the Brewers out of the playoffs, that's just over analyzing by fans. Simply put, Lou is doing what he feels is best for his team to be ready for the postseason.

Thank you for reading this, and good luck to your team.

What's ironic about all of this is just last year if I remember correctly the Cubs and Lou whined to the league office about their concern about the Astros not using their regular players in a late season series against the Brewers, when the Cubs were in the middle of a pennant race. Kind of funny how they whine about it when it could be to their benefit, but this year they turn around and do the EXACT same thing in a series against the Mets when serious playoff implications are on the line. I think our complaints are valid don't you??

What's ironic about all of this is just last year if I remember correctly the Cubs and Lou whined to the league office about their concern about the Astros not using their regular players in a late season series against the Brewers, when the Cuns where in the middle of a pennant race. Kind of funny how they whine about it when it could be to their benefit, but this year they turn around and do the EXACT same thing in a series against the Mets when serious playoff implications are on the line. I think our complaints are valid don't you??
Personally, I don't think the complaints last year were valid either. But my question is, what do you mean? The Cubs didn't use their regulars against both the Mets and Brewers, so I don't see what the problem is.

I fully expect them to lose by 4-6 runs tomorrow, with Sveum taking out CC early so he doesn't get hurt for his next team once they are losing by enough runs. And of course the Mets will win easily with Perez.
And I fully expect Mickey Mouse to chop down the right field foul pole with a frozen raccoon tomorrow. There, I can make unsubstantiated predictions too.

This team has no heart and hasn't played a complete game well all month long, so there is no reason to believe that tomorrow will be any different. CC is overworked and can't do it alone.
Two walk off home runs in the past week and you are saying they have no heart? Seriously?

Sorry if this seems like a "vent" post, but it got a little tiring seeing you all making playoff plans and all that when the team obviously couldn't care less about playing like a playoff team.
Reading, so tiring.

Hello all. I'm a Cubs fan, and I'm just having a hard time understanding what some of you mean when saying Lou is trying to "show up" the Brewers. First of all, Lou Pinella isn't a Cubs fan that has a deep hatred for Milwaukee, he's only doing what he thinks is best for the team.

If he really wanted to show up you guys, there would be at least a couple regulars starting today. Using Wood and Marmol is not to humiliate the Crew, it's to keep them sharp until Wednesday.

I don't think Pinella is basing everything he does on keeping the Brewers out of the playoffs, that's just over analyzing by fans. Simply put, Lou is doing what he feels is best for his team to be ready for the postseason.

Thank you for reading this, and good luck to your team.

NOT good luck to your team, nerd! What part about irrational hatred of the Cubs did you miss in my previous post? I clearly and angrily stated I wanted to read not one more word about Lou managing fairly.

Partially kidding, but I think if the situation was completely reversed that we'd be reading many Cubs fans down on NSBB echoing these complaints. It's the nature of fanhood. You'd be better served allowing some of us to blow off steam by blaming the Cubs for easing up on our wild card chase rivals. You and I (and many other fans of both teams) know that the Cubs aren't really doing anything wrong. But it sure feels better to hate the Cubs for whatever reason we want than to admit our team just didn't cut it today.

Thanks for the classy post (honestly). I hope the Brewers take it to the Cubs early and often tomorrow, never letting up and showing them that Milwaukee's offense can be explosive as any.

And to the guy who vented: I can sympathize to an extent but I have to ask...why are you watching the games anymore? It sounds like it's a foregone conclusion to you that the Brewers will fall short. Don't torture yourself (or me) with your Debbie Downer impersonation.

ManOfTheBeer wrote:
Partially kidding, but I think if the situation was completely reversed that we'd be reading many Cubs fans down on NSBB echoing these complaints. It's the nature of fanhood. You'd be better served allowing some of us to blow off steam by blaming the Cubs for easing up on our wild card chase rivals. You and I (and many other fans of both teams) know that the Cubs aren't really doing anything wrong. But it sure feels better to hate the Cubs for whatever reason we want than to admit our team just didn't cut it today.
Eh, yeah, I agree that it does feel good to blow off some steam. I just figured I'd step in and add my thoughts. We've been getting a lot of classy Brewers fans on NSBB, so I thought it would be good to represent the Cubs well on BF.

And the Cubs have alot to gain today right?? You can talk until your blue in the face. It isn't going to change the fact that Lou has taken this series more seriously. Does Florida have anything to gain?? It was raining all day today in NY yet they are playing their guys, with no reason to. The baseball gods will not take kindly to this crap by Lou and they will get their payback in the playoffs...trust me.

He's sending them out there to get there work in, stay sharp, and yes to uphold the integrity of the series. He managed the exact same way versus the Mets. Do yourself a favor and go for a walk or something. Don't be a whiner.

Let's see, no Lee, no Ramirez, no Soriano and somehow Pinella isn't doing enough to help the Brewers?

Most Brewers fans have no problem with how Lou is managing. There is only a vocal minority who somehow feel there is some conspiracy going on to keep us out of the playoffs.

The bottom line was that the Brewers only scored 3 runs. That's not going to win many games, even against a bunch of backups (who aren't too bad, by the way). Yeah, Sheets probably shouldn't have started, but we barely scored, anyway. I don't blame Sveum. Sheets obviously convinced the coaching staff somehow that he was ok.

No, the players don't care at all. Think before you type.

As for no heart, come on. Game winning rallies that ended with walk-off homers twice this week and a late-inning rally today that fell just short after being blanked all game and seeing their star pitcher fail.

It's really amazing to read some of the ridiculousness that comes from a bunch of people here. Every time a Brewer batter makes an out, it was a "pathetic at-bat" or some disgusting failure. It's never, not even once, a good job of pitching by the other team. Every time an opposing hitter doesn't make an out, it's an abject failure by our pitcher. It's never a good job of hitting by the other team. If we lose by more than a run or two, we have no heart. If we don't come back to win after being down, we have no heart. It's frustrating to see our team lose, of course, and I didn't have a skip in my step tonight, but the Brewers are playing hard and are having their best season in a long, long time.

I know I'd rather see them go down to the final day of the season and lose out on the playoffs than have another 90-loss season. And you know what? All it takes is a win tomorrow and a Mets loss and we're in the playoffs.

Archived