Brewer Fanatic

How much credit does Dale Sveum deserve?

GormanHarvey

He deserves no credit. Don't you know the state of our economy?!?!?

Ok, bad jokes aside. Svuem didn't do anything stupid (except bat Bill Hall 2nd). It wasn't like he lit the offense on fire, which you couldn't reasonably expect out of him anyway. I liked how he handled the bullpen. If he gets hired for the job, though, its going to be because of what the club knows about him already, not for anything he did in 16 games.

He might be a good pick, but I don't think anybody here has seen enough to know that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Small sample size I know, but it's hard to argue 8-8 means he did a great job. He did get creative with the beleagured pitching staff and it paid off pretty well, except for Suppan in game 4. But batting Cameron first, benching the 2nd hottest hitter in September, playing Hart every game, bunting at silly times, maintaining the Counsell/Hall platoon when a game or two of Diilon/Lamb might have really helped the offense, and continuing the Nedly misguide of playing Kendall everyday, all were decisions made on various levels of boneheadedness.

I'm tired of all the endorsements Sveum is receiving, the latest from Terry Francona

Amen. His line of thinking: They were pretty bad when they played us, then they were insanely awesome over the summer, then they tanked in early September. But, Sveum managed to dig them out of that hole and send them to the playoffs!

Everyone who follows the Brewers know that what transpired the last week of the season has as much to do with the Brewers' performance as it does with the choking of the Mets and the complete ineptness of the Pirates. A guy like Francona doesn't have the time to follow the Brewers. He probably knows about our solid record and that CC Sabathia has set the world on fire while playing for the Brewers.

Kudos to Dale for the changes he made to the pitching staff (before October 5), but his mediocre performance over 16 games shouldn't be enough to hand him the job.

He deserves no credit. Don't you know the state of our economy?!?!?

Ok, bad jokes aside. Svuem didn't do anything stupid (except bat Bill Hall 2nd). It wasn't like he lit the offense on fire, which you couldn't reasonably expect out of him anyway. I liked how he handled the bullpen. If he gets hired for the job, though, its going to be because of what the club knows about him already, not for anything he did in 16 games.

He might be a good pick, but I don't think anybody here has seen enough to know that.

I think batting Cameron lead off could also be considered stupid. I like Svuem more than I liked Yost but I don't know if I want him as the next manager. I would just assume start fresh next year with an entirely different staff save Mike Maddux. Jim Skaalen can beat it as far as I am concerned. He has failed to develop the offensive capabilities of our young guys and one could argue that some have gotten worse.

I think batting Cameron lead off could also be considered stupid. I like Svuem more than I liked Yost but I don't know if I want him as the next manager. I would just assume start fresh next year with an entirely different staff save Mike Maddux. Jim Skaalen can beat it as far as I am concerned. He has failed to develop the offensive capabilities of our young guys and one could argue that some have gotten worse.
Technically they have all gotten worse except for Hardy. That's a pretty serious indictment of a coach if you ask me.

I agree with you, Maddux should stay.

I know Melvin said he wanted to take at least a week to make the decision on whether or not Sveum will come back. Well, here we are on Monday morning, it's been a week since the Brewers were eliminated, can we expect an announcement later today, or will they wait until after the playoffs?

I know Melvin said he wanted to take at least a week to make the decision on whether or not Sveum will come back. Well, here we are on Monday morning, it's been a week since the Brewers were eliminated, can we expect an announcement later today, or will they wait until after the playoffs?

Here ya go...

Link

"Doug Melvin is on his way to Phoenix to meet with Sveum to interview him for the club's managerial job." JSOnline

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived