Brewer Fanatic

Why is Hart regressing? / Merged: Corey Hart (.300) OBP

endaround

I have to blame Sveum right now. I know we don't have any good options to sit Hart out a game but I don't know how he continues to bat 6th in the order. Our offense is in a funk but there have been at least 6 instances in the last 2 plus weeks where Hart has been at the plate with the bases loaded (most with less than 2 outs) and he has either struckout or hit into a doubleplay. Others have failed but Hart specifically has just killed so many potential rallies. That game yesterday changes if we put more than 1 run on the board in the first (Doesn't mean I think we win it folks). Anyways, I said it before the game yesterday and I will say it again today. Hart needs to be out of the 6 hole. He should have been in the 8 or 9 hole yesterday. As bad as our options might be, I dont see a Counsell or Kendall or almost anyone else swinging at that point in time in first considering what was happening and I can't believe Hart didn't have the take sign until he saw at least 1 strike if not 2.

Sveum is just as stubborn as Yost was and probably needs to go. Hart has been horrible this entire month and the coaching staff is either too stubborn or dumb to realize that they need to figure out how to mitigate the damage of Hart.

Its funny how everyone pounds Weeks into submission for his stupid play at times yet give Hart a free pass. I would much rather see Weeks in the lineup tomorrow than I would Hart. And its not even close.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Nothing is working right now with a lot of the guys," Hart said. "We're trying to see pitches and see what we can do. ... I'm not going to sit there and walk, though. I'll eventually find it, and hopefully we'll still be in it."

Hart's postgame comments. As a player, I like him and hope he can return to form next year (or this weekend) but the whole "I'm not just going to sit there and walk" thing is about as lame as it gets if you ask me.

That quote really disturbs me. This is bigger than finding your way out of a slump. This is the Playoffs and it is either win or go home. If I were Doug M or Mark A, I would be taking note of these kind of comments. Unless this quote was taken out of context, he is basically saying, "I am more worried about getting out of my slump than doing what it takes to win in the Post Season." I used to be a big Corey Hart fan and was pulling for him to get out of his slump but he is making himself very unlikeable. I don't want to turn this into a managerial debate, but we need a manager who won't put up with this crap.

"Nothing is working right now with a lot of the guys," Hart said. "We're trying to see pitches and see what we can do. ... I'm not going to sit there and walk, though. I'll eventually find it, and hopefully we'll still be in it."

Does anyone have a link to this quote? I mentioned to someone I work with and we have searched JS Online for it, but can not find it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have to blame Sveum right now. I know we don't have any good options to sit Hart out a game but I don't know how he continues to bat 6th in the order.

I apologize for being a broken record, but a Nelson/Hart platoon in RF for this series would have made me gain some faith in Sveum. Through game 2, there has been literally no point in having Brad on the 25-man for the postseason. Apparently TGJ will be getting PH appearances ahead of Nelson, and I would have rather just had Dillon added instead if Sveum is burning TGJ before Nelson in fear that Manuel would bring out Romero or another LOOGY. In my ideal world, Dillon would have made the roster ahead of TGJ... but apparently the slim chance that you might need a PR outweighs the high-leverage PAs that it seems Gwynn will now get.

I also agree that batting Hart 6th at this point is just insane. A guy who's slumped as badly and as long as Corey has... and that vows he 'isn't just going to take a walk' has no business batting 6th on a team playing in the postseason. I guarantee you that Nelson can at worst provide what Corey is bringing to the table right now v. RHP, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that Brad would comfortably outproduce the scuffling Hart.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is what I started off the post with-Hart is being much more aggressive this year. And I don't know if it was coaching or himself but my guess a combination due to him having to"protect" Fielder, being a "RBI guy" so Fielder sees pitches.

I posted this somewhere already, but maybe Hart just wore down this year?

He's never played 150 games in a season before.

Can we hope that's what the problem was? And now that he's got a full season under his belt, he'll know what to expect next year?

Yeah, I'm probably just grasping at straws now. I don't know...

I just can't comprehend most of the posters take on Corey.

Up til Sept. 5th there was hardly a word mentioned about is OBP. Granted it was only between .315-.320, but nobody really said a word.

I know everyone complains about plate disipline, but if Corey had walked just 3 more times a month (18 total) that would have pushed his OBP to a respectable above average .351. With another full year under his belt and what the club says his work ethic is. I'll bet we see improvement in walks next year. I mean the kid put up solid major league numbers every month except Sept. April /..295, May /.306, June /.265, July / .265, Aug. / .299, & Sept. /.173

And to say he is below average in a RF is ridiculous. Every sports caster, every opposing manager, every TV analyst says how good of an outfielder he is. You want names Reynolds, Cooper, Kruk, Kennedy, Simpson. You want more just look in the archive's. Nobody has a negative to say about his defense.

I dont think anyone hates Corey Hart. I like him a lot. Also, his plate discipline has always been poor, but was exceptionally poor since about the all star break.

As far as taking 18 walks and adding 50 points of OBP, I dont see how you figured that calculation at all.

His OBP month-to-month breakdown was as follows

All were equal sample sizes. He needs some serious work on his OBP skills. IT seemed to me that pitchers found a huge weakness, his inability to lay off a slider off the outside corner, and exploited it. IF he can make the adjustment, he might be ok.

And to say he is below average in a RF is ridiculous.

Please avoid statements like this. They attack the messenger rather than addressing the message.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Between those comments and Corey's "were more relaxed on the road, it feels like a home game in Philly" comments Corey has gone down a few notches in my book. I have said if before, if we can trade him for DeJesus do it Doug!
I think Hart is the best player to trade this offseason. I've started a topic here and would love some input: http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=16137

jhpc12 wrote:

I know everyone complains about plate disipline, but if Corey had walked just 3 more times a month (18 total) that would have pushed his OBP to a respectable above average .351.

What if (insert action here) then (insert result here) . It doesn't work that way. You could say that about any player about any stat. He had a terrible OBP, no way around it.

With another full year under his belt and what the club says his work ethic is. I'll bet we see improvement in walks next year.

I don't think work ethic has much to do with plate discipline.

Maybe Hart is just one of those guys who starts off well in his career and then loses it. The list of those guys is pretty long. Take Cory Snyder from late 80's-early 90's. Peaked at age 25, downhill after that.

That's not to say Hart won't rebound, but they better be prepared with an alternative.

Maybe Hart is just one of those guys who starts off well in his career and then loses it. The list of those guys is pretty long. Take Cory Snyder from late 80's-early 90's. Peaked at age 25, downhill after that.

That's not to say Hart won't rebound, but they better be prepared with an alternative.

And the common thread for these players is their on base percentages stink. The Tigers thought a lot of Deivi Cruz when he hit .284 followed by .302. At the time they thought he was 24 and 25, but he turned out to be two years older than that. He was done at 32 in the majors, but done as a starter at 30. Truthfully he was done a few years before that.

Bill Hall is the same way. At his peak he managed league average obp for two seasons in a row. He also peaked a little early, his age 25 and 26 seasons. I suspect peaking early is also a symptom of poor on base skills.

So far what we have seen from Hart, he has to hit about .300 to have an above average obp. If he doesn't change his ways next year his value will be at all time low. Then it will be there the year after that. By the time he's 29 he will no longer be an everyday player. At least not on a good team.

Ryan Braun is another player dangerously close to joining this group. He has to hit around .300 for an above average obp. There is more hope though, his walk rate did go up a wee bit, and his K rate went down this year.

Archived