Brewer Fanatic

Why is Hart regressing? / Merged: Corey Hart (.300) OBP

endaround
Watching Corey right now, I have no confidence in him, just like it looks like he has no confidence in himself.... it's like he is swinging at every pitch, and the pitchers keep throwing further and further out of the zone, and look amazed as he whiffs at a ball so far outside and low it looks like it'd hit a lefthander in the back... he needs to relax and get hot!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the upper deck today right behind home plate with 3 other friends, and we all said the same thing about Corey, he looks like he is opening up his hips way to0 early, almost like he's trying to pull everything. It seems to be somewhat similar to Bill Hall, when Bill gets in a bad funk, of opening his hips too early and trying to pull everything.

I think both those guys have really good opposite power so they don't need to try and pull everything, but for some reason they seem to go through periods when they do that. Corey looked like a top today with the bases loaded.

Corey really needs a few days off. Perhaps, these couple days before game 1 will get him back in the groove.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cory looks absolutely terrible right now. His swings are weak. He's guessing at everything. His inability to lay off low outside pitches in particular has only gotten worse. If Kapler was healthy, I suspect he would have been in RF quite a few times over the past couple of weeks. Right now, however, there's little to turn to. Let's hope he gets his crap together for the playoffs.

If Kapler is healthy, he starts quite a few games down the stretch I would assume. But he isn't. I would be for Nelson starting against RHP but I have no idea who well Nelson could play in RF. Probably not near as well as Hart. I would not even think of starting Gwynn.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Corey hasn't lost it altogether (my opinion), although it sure seems the sky is falling. He's watching the easy strikes and swinging at everything else under the sun and can't lay off the low/outside slider to save his life (ugh!). It sure is painful to watch.

But I also believe this guy is a key piece of the team's future, and not as a trade chip, either.

Gwynn is an offensive liability and Nelson is a defensive liability. But if Gwynn were to bat in the #2 position with strict instructions to take pitches and bunt runners over then he might not be as much of a liability (I also think he could be very good at that fake-bunt-to-draw-infield-in-then-slap-it-by-the-infielders move). Also, in the #2 position with Braun and Fielder behind him, they would have to pitch to him so he would get good pitches to hit. I guess also in the #8 hole he would be pitched around to get to the pitcher and may get a few extra walks (and then have his speed on base). But then you have Kendall 7th and Gwynn 8th, and I'm not sure who is the bigger offensive liability of those two. At this point I don't think it would be that terrible to start Gwynn against a tough righty.

Hopefully Kapler is healthy. Branyan too.

I said it in another thread but I'd start Gwynn or Nelson against Myers and let Hart face the lefties.

I was talking to my friend after that ugly ugly at bat today and couldn't believe i was saying this, but i'd actually prefer Gwynn was playing instead. I also thought about Nelson, but don't have any clue if he can play RF even half way decent.

Nearly every at bat by Hart is the same story. Him hacking at one slider off the plate after another that results in either a K or him rolling over the ball for a weak grounder. His only chance for a hit is hoping he gets his arms out enough on a slider off the plate that Corey can bloop over the shortstop.

I just read the whole thread and was looking for the "I wonder if he is playing with an injury" question. It never popped up amid all of the "Corey Hart sucks right now" talk. What if he IS injured. Would the team disclose this? Look at Sheets...his elbow was hurt for over a month before the fans heard about it. The same thing could be happening with Hart. The crew has no replacement right now so if he IS hurt maybe they are just keeping their lips shut about it...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I just read the whole thread and was looking for the "I wonder if he is playing with an injury" question. It never popped up amid all of the "Corey Hart sucks right now" talk. What if he IS injured. Would the team disclose this? Look at Sheets...his elbow was hurt for over a month before the fans heard about it. The same thing could be happening with Hart. The crew has no replacement right now so if he IS hurt maybe they are just keeping their lips shut about it...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I just read the whole thread and was looking for the "I wonder if he is playing with an injury" question. It never popped up amid all of the "Corey Hart sucks right now" talk. What if he IS injured. Would the team disclose this?

Well, you'd think we would have heard some kind of info about that by now...Haudricourt or someone would have at least hinted at it by now. He doesn't seem like he's moving like he's hurt.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I know we're all down on Hart, but I'll give him credit for one thing. He made some huge plays in the outfield over the last few games that may have saved every single one of them.
Yea I don't know. For every huge play he made in the outfield, he has made twice as many outs with the basesloaded at the plate this last 3 weeks. I was surprised that he was not pinch hit for in the 7th with the basesloaded and one out. Everyone knew he wasn't going to deliver in that situation. He actually looked like he was going to cry during that at-bat while taking 3 HORRIBLE SWINGS.

And lets not forget the Cubs game we blew in the 9th. Hart twice makes an out with the basesloaded. Makes 2 outs in one inning. And after a lucky hit in the 9th to score Fielder, he gets thrown out at third.

We play Gwynn during the last 2 weeks of the season and CC doesn't need to go on 3 days rest and he is pitching Wednesday against the Phillies. At the very least, bat him 9th when CC is pitching and 8th when CC is not pitching and pinch hit for him when he need a chance for a hit in a tight game.

I don't think it is just an injury, he is letting juicy pitches go by for strikes and swinging at pitches even Vlad couldn't hit. Seems more mental than physical.

However I'm not sure how Gwynn hitting .250 with a few walks and a bunch of weak groundouts on the infield would have changed much over what Hart gave us. Sadly that is Gwynn's upside too so I'm assuming he got hot that week.

He actually looked like he was going to cry during that at-bat while taking 3 HORRIBLE SWINGS.

Ugh...yeah, I agree. I basically screamed at the TV after that. He just isn't showing any sort of discipline at the plate at all. He looks like he's trying to hit a home run every at bat, instead of just waiting for a good pitch and trying to put the ball in play.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

You know guys this is really getting old. I know someone has to complain about something all the time. But I believe it is a little excessive here.

Corey had one month, one. He has been average or above average in almost every category all year. And even with his one bad month he still remains in the top ten in extra base hits.

And I don't mean to through wrench in every ones parade, but outside of two hits Braun had just as bad a month as Corey.

And the thing everyone seems to forget is if Corey doesn't drive in 24 RBI's in June or 20 RBI's in August we might not even be in this situation.

So yes Corey slumped in September along with half of the other Brewer's, but Corey also carried us when Prince, JJ and some of the others were in slumps. That is why they call this a team, when someone is struggling then somebody else has to pick up the slack. Just like the Brewer's did.

The problem with Cory isn't just one month, he has been an out machine for June, July, August and September. His OBP during that time has been .292, .301, .310, and .192.

I was just going to post something pretty similar. He's been having a down season since the All Star break. I'm just hoping he can bust out of his "funk" starting on Wednesday.

You know guys this is really getting old. I know someone has to complain about something all the time. But I believe it is a little excessive here.

Corey had one month, one. He has been average or above average in almost every category all year. And even with his one bad month he still remains in the top ten in extra base hits.

And I don't mean to through wrench in every ones parade, but outside of two hits Braun had just as bad a month as Corey.

And the thing everyone seems to forget is if Corey doesn't drive in 24 RBI's in June or 20 RBI's in August we might not even be in this situation.

So yes Corey slumped in September along with half of the other Brewer's, but Corey also carried us when Prince, JJ and some of the others were in slumps. That is why they call this a team, when someone is struggling then somebody else has to pick up the slack. Just like the Brewer's did.

I am not talking about dumping the guy from the team forever. He does have value, just not now. It is about winning. Yes he played great in the first half of the year and without his production through July, we lose some more games. But again it is about winning and winning now. And he is not giving us the best chance to win now.

And yes Braun has struggled this month but even with his struggles, he is the one who came through in the clutch while Hart has looked HORRIBLE. I have no doubt that the Kaplar injury was huge. He would have been playing a lot in place of Hart with Hart being an automatic out over the last few weeks. Actually, I have more confidence is CC batting than I do in Hart. Speaking of which maybe we should trot CC out in right when he is not pitching. Kidding. Sort of. No honestly kidding but it has been that bad. I just find it hard to believe that we can 't do better than Hart right now.

I know we're all down on Hart, but I'll give him credit for one thing. He made some huge plays in the outfield over the last few games that may have saved every single one of them.
Yea I don't know. For every huge play he made in the outfield, he has made twice as many outs with the basesloaded at the plate this last 3 weeks. I was surprised that he was not pinch hit for in the 7th with the basesloaded and one out. Everyone knew he wasn't going to deliver in that situation. He actually looked like he was going to cry during that at-bat while taking 3 HORRIBLE SWINGS.

And lets not forget the Cubs game we blew in the 9th. Hart twice makes an out with the basesloaded. Makes 2 outs in one inning. And after a lucky hit in the 9th to score Fielder, he gets thrown out at third.

Thanks for taking my compliment for Hart and turning it into an unrelated, rehashed, negative. I'll try not to notice anything good that he does any more.

Just watching the game from yesterday again on TV.

Corey swung at 3 straight balls after the pitcher had just walked the batter in front of him on 4 pitches. After swinging at the first pitch (and missing), Durham, on 3rd base, gave Corey the "calm down" motion with his hands. Very interesting.

Hart's been amazingly streaky not just in 08, but 07 as well. In July 07, he followed a red hot June (.336/.421/.618) with a miserable July (.200/.261/.467). He's also shown miniscule power early in the season both in 07 and 08, having just 1 April HR each of the last 2 seasons.

As his slump this season has been extended, one has to wonder if the league has caught up with him and whether he's capable of adjusting. I had the opportunity to watch the Cub telecast yesterday and Bob Brenly made an interesting comment. As Hart was waving at Wuertz's off the plate sliders, he said: "Pitchers have found a hole in Corey Hart's swing. You can bet that during the playoffs, they are going to attack that hole over and over."

I think this offseason, that Melvin is going to have to make contigent plans for RF in case Hart struggles early next season. He must find a guy either from within or outside who can at least do an adequate job as a starter and not just a backup. Maybe Kapler's that guy.

We have to hope now that the regular season is over, he can take a breath, get some rest, and play baseball like we've all seen he can.

His defense has been there, so he's contributing something.

If he doesn't figure it out at the plate. Bat him 8th. Or go back to the pitcher hitting 8th, at least for Sabathia starts.

I'd see how he does against the LHP, then decide.

Archived