Brewer Fanatic

Don't expect to see Hardy in the line-up tonight (hand injury) / Latest: will likely play (reply 83ish); tweak (reply 110ish)

GormanHarvey

Would this stressful experience really cause great trauma to Escobar and endanger his ML career?

The hyperbole is a bit much. The Brewers have 3 games to play. Their advancement to the postseason could hinge on the smallest events over this weekend. Escobar is supposed to be great defensively. But we actually have to play the game to find out. We don't know how Escobar is going to react to the set of circumstances that he would be facing this weekend. When the first groundball is hit to him, we don't know if his ability will let him make the play, or whether he will be nervous and make a mistake that could cost the team.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't know how Escobar is going to react to the set of circumstances that he would be facing this weekend. When the first groundball is hit to him, we don't know if his ability will let him make the play, or whether he will be nervous and make a mistake that could cost the team.

Yes, and we'll never know will we. Instead they want to go with either:

A. A player we know can't hit righties and is average defensively.

B. A player who we know has 1 HR in 246 ABs with a .597 OPS and by all accounts is not a very good fielder

C. A player who we don't know if he can even physically play the field at all.

It's not like we have Derek Jeter or Miquel Tejada waiting in the wings to fill in for Hardy.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

wondering just how serious the injury can be that the team apparently didn't feel the need to xray last night...you'd think that if it were really serious that team doctors would at least do more than look at and tell JJ to get some sleep and then look at it again today.

did he jam a finger or pop a knuckle in the midst of untucking 'em?

They just said he dislocated his left thumb. They popped it back in last night, and it is swollen today. They said he will play tonight.
That's wonderful news and I hope that is accurate! The last thing I wanted was to get everyone's heart in their throats. I was told it was a hand injury and that it was serious. Let's hope what olliegjw is reporting is right and that it is less serious, although a thumb dislocation could still be somewhat hindering - especially if it is on his throwing hand.

They just said he dislocated his left thumb. They popped it back in last night, and it is swollen today. They said he will play tonight.
James Jerry Hardy, I want to have your babies. That dude has become my favorite Brewers player this season -- this only cements that further.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Good to hear that apparently it's not broken or missing. A request for the next 3 games....can we NOT have to wait until the last at-bat to win the game and avoid not only the heartache and the pain that it causes the fans, but the potential injury it may cause for the team? Thank you Brewers!

Hardy "tweaked" his thumb

By Tom Haudricourt

Friday, Sep 26 2008, 04:00 PM

Everybody can settle down now. I just talked to J.J. Hardy and he said he's fine.

Hardy said he "tweaked" his left thumb during the scrum around home plate last night after Ryan Braun hit his walk-off grand slam to beat Pittsburgh. Hardy had trainers look at it after the game and it was determined to be nothing major.

Hardy said he was surprised today when word began circulating that he had a hand injury, possibly a major one.

"It's nothing," said Hardy. "I just tweaked out there. I don't even know how."

Hardy came out early today, put his fielding glove on and determined the sore thumb was not enough to keep him out of the lineup tonight against Chicago. He said he made a conscious effort to stay on the outside of the pile of players and therefore was surprised he tweaked the thumb.

"I don't want to get in the middle of that," he said. "Every time that happens it's a possible disaster.

"We're not just tapping each other out there. We've got spikes on and people are stepping on each other's feet. I'd compare it to a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert."

Archived