Brewer Fanatic

Why no discussion regarding the Phillies?

Jimbo

Driving home after the game last night listening to WTMJ, everyine keeps bringing up the Mets this and Mets that. Same thing at the game as well.

Um, is anyone aware the Brewers moved to within one game of the Phillies with the win?

Wouldn't it be weird if the Mets won the East, Brewers the WC and the Phillies out?

There's not much talk about the Phillies because:

a) we're tied with the Mets and, as such, have a better chance to pass them.

b) the Phillies seem to be better than the Mets, or at least not as prone to choking.

c) the Phillies play the Nationals, so it's not as likely that they collapse this weekend.

I have been keeping an eye on them, but I still think the chances of catching the Phillies, even if we do well this weekend, are not good.

The main reason is because the Mets free fall kept us in contention and they have been closer to us in the standings. It may also be because the Phillies play the Nationals who with their next loss hit 100 losses on the season. So one back with three to play means the best case scenario is probably ending tied, and we have a much better shot to do that with the Mets.

I'm paying attention to the Phils. If the Nat's can somehow play spoiler and take 2 out of 3 in Philly, hey, I'll be completely thrilled. The more "outs" we can give ourselves, the better.

It's just not very likely. The Marlins/Mets give us our best shot.

The Nats have their 2 best pitchers going in this series, Lannan and Perez. Both Lannan and Perez rose the occasion and pitched outstanding games against the Mets just last week. Balester, the 3rd Nat starter, has recorded 2 quality starts against the Phillies this year.

Blanton and Moyer are both beatable too.

Other thing is psychologically, Phillies are trying to protect a lead, and that adds just a little extra pressure.

A one game lead with 3 to go is actually pretty darn big. The Nats might have only something like a 25% chance of winning that series. And the Brewers still have to win theirs.

That said, anything can happen over 3 games, so I'll certainly be watching!

The Nats have really been blasted in the local papers today. They are desparate to avoid 100 losses. IF the Phillies lose game 1, the fans are very likely to turn on them and really put a lot of pressure on the players.... You never know.

Archived