Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia likes everything about it here, may re-sign says Agent

Hate those Rodents

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VERY interesting article. However, it's just talk. I'd love to see Mr. Sabathia back with the team but it's going to take a lot of coin to do so.

If he likes the team, the make-up of the clubhouse, and other intangibles, I guess it COULD happen. Anything's possible. Nice to read that the agent is not saying, "no stinking way" to playing in Milwaukee after this year. But, again, he's an agent and you can't believe anything they say until the ink is dry on the new contract.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The Brewers have financial wherewithal and flexibility to get it done. They can start by not re-signing both Ben Sheets ($12 million), Greg Gagne ($10 million) and Chris Capuano ($3.75M). That's almost $26M right there.

Indeed.

It's somewhat encouraging, but I'd be shocked if CC re-signed. And if he did, somewhat disturbed, given he'd account for 1/4 of our payroll at least.

That's all well and good that we have $25 million or whatever coming off the books with Gagne, Capuano and Sheets. The problem is he doesn't take into account the raises that will be given to Suppan, Bush, Fielder, Hart, Hall, Weeks etc.

CC will control the situation, no matter what any agent, GM, or fan group may think.

No matter where he signs, he's going to be unbelievably wealthy, so perhaps money won't be the deciding factor.

If he wants the most money he can possibly get, there's no way he'll be back in Milwaukee, but if he's willing to merely have more money than he ever could have dreamed of, he could most certainly decide to stay here, if it makes him happy.

I'm sure the odds are against him staying, but I do expect the Brewers to give it a shot.

Carlos Lee "wanted" to stay with the Brewers, too.
That's what I was thinking. Did CC and his agent also say "it isn't my decision?" I love that one. "I would like to stay with this team, but it isn't my decision." Just be honest, you are going to whoever pays the most.

Sure we have the money to resign CC, but should we really tie up 25%+ of our payroll in one player? I would say no.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Carlos Lee "wanted" to stay with the Brewers, too.
That's what I was thinking. Did CC and his agent also say "it isn't my decision?" I love that one. "I would like to stay with this team, but it isn't my decision." Just be honest, you are going to whoever pays the most.
I would imagine that they are referring to the pressure from the player's union to get the highest possible amount. It's not necessarily just for himself, but the bigger deal he gets, that will drive up the price of all upper echelon starting pitchers. The union really handcuffs top players in this regard.

Put it this way, if the Crew can keep CC and Sheets, then they have to be the favorites for the NL pennant next year:

Sabathia, Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Bush/Suppan

Good grief... Dave Bush and Jeff Suppan fighting it out to be the #5 starter?

Most teams would LOVE to have that kind of problem.

It's outstanding to hear that he likes playing here that much. I think he's a tremendous player for any team to have, it seems as a person as well as an athlete, but there's just no way we can afford to have him on the books unfortunately. It's been an absolute thrill to have him for the time we will, I just hope we cross that threshold with him this weekend.

It sounds like the agent is doing his job to whip up as big a market for Sabathia as possible. If an agent can help get fans in a smaller market to believe that a virtually unsignable player is signable the ownership may bump up their offer a little bit.

Put it this way, if the Crew can keep CC and Sheets...
We're not the Cubs. We dont have that kind of money.

i can see them making a run at CC. and if he really does like it and wants to stay I guess thats a possibility.

as far as sheets, i think that this latest injury to his forearm makes it more likely that he will be back for at least a year. the brewers have to offer him arbitration, and it might be in his best interest to accept. teams might be hesitant to offer him a long term deal based on his continuing "problems" (groin, forearm). i mean, if you cant step up to pitch in a pennant race in your contract year - are you really worth a huge deal?

While reports and rumors are running rampant that Sabathia's days with the Brewers are numbered, Parker isn't buying into it.

Maybe that was true, but he changed his mind after Yost was fired http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I think the salary problem is that it is not just $25 million (or whatever) for 2009, it is $25 million per year for each of the next 5-6 years. If he really likes it here, perhaps there will be a small discount if his other alternatives are not appealing...for example, maybe he'd take $23 million per year to play here over $25 million to play for a team like the Dodgers, with their reportedly unhappy clubhouse.

He probably turned down Cleveland because he wants to hit http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

By my calculations, if they pick up options on Cameron and Torres, arby raises, decline Counsell and sign CC for $20 million a year, the payroll ends up around $95 million. That means a minimum salary bullpen outside of Torres and Riske.

But a rotation starting with CC, Gallardo, and Parra (ready for a full season) would be pretty exciting.

I would love to see CC in a Brewer uniform next year but I am not optimistic. To me the only option would be a back loaded contract to allow some time to get Suppan, Hall, Cameron, etc off of the books. But you are exposing yourself to major risk with a backloaded contract.

Year 1 - $16M

Year 2 - $18M

Year 3 - $20M

Year4 - $22M

Year 5 - $22M

I would never go to 6 years on a pitcher. So many things could happen and a CC type contract could destroy the Brewers financial capabilities. I wonder if their is a type of insurance the Brewers can take out that would protect them financially if CC were to get hurt?

By my calculations, if they pick up options on Cameron and Torres, arby raises, decline Counsell and sign CC for $20 million a year, the payroll ends up around $95 million. That means a minimum salary bullpen outside of Torres and Riske.

But a rotation starting with CC, Gallardo, and Parra (ready for a full season) would be pretty exciting.

I still don't understand why people think Cameron is a lock. He's not worth $10 million at age 36 with declining skills and a strikeout rate that would make Jose Hernandez blush.

"That means a minimum salary bullpen outside of Torres and Riske"

Shouse (if they bring him back) isn't minimum salary. Resigning CC assures that Villanueva and McClung will be in pen and they could do a lot worse. By the way McClung won't be "minimum salary" either. He figures to get $1.2 to $1.5 or so in arby. Those 2 have held up as well as any all year.

Bottom line is I believe CC is signaling that he'd consider a "hometown discount". In his case that might be $20-22 million a year over 6 years instead of $25 million. But watch for the union to put pressure on his agent. CC's the biggest fish out there and the union doesn't want discounts going to those guys.

Archived