Brewer Fanatic

9/26/08 Cubs (Dempster) at Brewers (Suppan): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
It sounds like the Cubs will be playing their AAA club again...
I disagree completely. We'll be getting the real thing on the line-up card as well as all bullpen arms ready to go.

With the vacation that Marmol just got, we need lots of runs early. Wood faced 4 batters in New York, too.

Sure, if it's a blow-out after 6 innings one way or the other, players are going to come out. But Lou knows to get his team mentally prepped for the post-season and sure would not want to gift wrap any semblance of a psychological edge to the Crew. He would be opening himself up for a deluge of criticism (not that he'd care) along the whole rest versus rust lines.

I expect to see everybody except DeRosa play the majority of innings as well as Marmol twice.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree completely. We'll be getting the real thing on the line-up card as well as all bullpen arms ready to go.
I meant just for tonight. Pinella said before yesterday's game that he would rest the regulars again on Friday because they would be getting into Milwaukee late, but then most of the regulars would be starting on Saturday and Sunday to get ready for the playoffs.

I think the cubs won't take this series all that serious. An oppurtunity to rest up and stay healthy for the post season. Why would they want NY in the playoffs? The potential match up with Milwaukee means a 90 minute drive to their road games and apparently a near half home crowd. I doubt the cubs come out looking to win.

CF Mike Cameron

2B Ray Durham

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

SS J.J. Hardy

RF Corey Hart

3B Craig Counsell

C Jason Kendall

RHP Jeff Suppan

Shortstop J.J. Hardy is in the starting lineup for the Brewers tonight against the Cubs, so either he wasn't hurt in the celebration last night, as speculated, or it's not enough to keep him out of the lineup.

The other alternative would be that Hardy is tentatively in the starting lineup. We won't know for sure if anything happened until we get to talk to Hardy or interim manager Dale Sveum later.

If you read the earlier Brewers blog, you know that there was speculation that Hardy was injured, possibly hurting a hand, in the home-plate celebration last night after Ryan Braun hit his walk-off grand slam against Pittsburgh.

Assistant general manager Gord Ash, through media relations director Mike Vassallo, said he would have no comment until he heard more about the situation.

So, either Hardy never was hurt, wasn't hurt that bad or he's tentatively in the lineup pending the pre-game workout. We'll let you know as soon as we hear.

Doesn't have to do with tonight, but I just read this on MLB.com about the series:

"Piniella mentioned that he wanted Carlos Zambrano to throw a couple of innings this weekend as well."

Wonderful (unless he pitches like he pitched the last two games).

So much for resting guys.

The Brewers better get that AAA lineup on Saturday or Sunday or I'm going to be seriously cranky. Does Lou not realize that he should want to face:

Dodgers & Milwaukee/Philli

In the playoffs, over:

Mets & Dodgers/Philli

Now, the Brewers are the underdogs for today's game. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Silver lining: I'd rather see the AAA lineup against Sheets/Bush/Sabathia/McClung/DiFelice while facing Lilly/Marquis/Marshall than against Suppan facing Dempster. This would be a game we can steal tonight instead of a game we "should win" because we're facing the scrubs.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Does Lou not realize that he should want to face:

Dodgers & Milwaukee/Philli

In the playoffs, over:

Mets & Dodgers/Philli

Call me crazy... but if I'm Lou, I want Sabathia - Sheets - Gallardo out of October, and I'll take my chances with Johan - something - something.

Call me crazy... but if I'm Lou, I want Sabathia - Sheets - Gallardo out of October, and I'll take my chances with Johan - something - something

Fair enough, although 2 of those 3 pitchers have body parts stapled on right now. Also, the Mets have averaged 5.0 runs per game, compared to the Brewers 4.65. I guess it's a horse a piece.

I feared that Lou would consider the Mets series, the rest series, and then the Brewers series the warmup for the playoffs, where he plays his starters most of the time. I also don't think it has anything to do with the teams they are playing but more the timing (and weather). I am not a guy to usually root for an injury but maybe a minor tweak of Soriano's foot (nothing major) or something of the ilk would scare Lou enough to go AAAA on us.

I probably would have piggybacked McClung and Villanueva, pitching them for 3-4 innings each. McClung has fared pretty well until about pitch 45, and Villanueva until pitch 75. Suppan has pretty much been a disaster throughout games.

Plus, Villanueva and McClung have had pretty good success against the North-siders this season. Once again, Suppan has been a disaster.

I'm going to be biting my nails throughout Soup's start. At any sign of trouble Villa should be called upon to save the day.

I have never been so nervous for a sporting event in my entire life
Agree 100%. I know for a fact I am way more nervous then the players are. A nice comfortable early lead would go a long way towards calming my/all of our nerves tonight. This hanging on every pitch is going to put me 10 feet under sooner rather than later.

Archived