Brewer Fanatic

Washington Mutual Collapses

PeaveyFury

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the career i'm studying for has the option to move anywhere in the world. once i thought it would be a fun option. now i'm wondering if it might almost become necessary just to find a job opening.

i'm really getting pretty nervous about what the state of things might be like a couple years from now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wamu's collapse has been rumored for a few weeks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I work at a smaller regional bank and people are absolutely freaking out about their money. We have been fielding a ton of calls. We are literally in no danger at all (Virtually no exposure to Sub Prime) but it doens't stop people from panicking. For the most part investment banks have been failing, not your standard bank.

Plus if you really are worried about your bank you can go to FDIC.GOV to check your banks latest financial statements. Just check their capital and liquidity levels.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
question abotu FDIC: is it insure per account/per bank or in total? So if I have $300K and split it equally between three banks I'm covered in the event of a bank failure right? Not that I have $300K floating around - just curious.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

To my understanding (through my employment) as long as your money is separated into 3 different accounts you would be covered. What happened to a lot of the people was they jumped at higher interest rates for higher balances. For instance, many banks offered substantially higher interest rates for accounts holding say 300k instead of 100k. Therefore, when the bank collapsed the FDIC only insured 100k. (More money would be divided amongst account holders once the banks assets were liquidated.)

Why would anyone have $300,000 in cash in a bank anyhow? For a toaster and 3% return on a CD?

Because it is liquid. People who normally have $300,000 in cash in a bank are ones who are retired or are about to be retiring. Still not a good strategy to have anything over $100,000 cash in a bank. There are better liquid investment options that are better and will give you a better interest rate than a bank could give you.

Archived