Brewer Fanatic

Registering to Vote in Madison

brewcrewman17

I posted this also in the BF political forum, but wanted to post here also. This is in no way a discussion about politics, merely a discussion about voter registration in Wisconsin. So please don't turn this into something that belongs on the politics forum and get this thread locked.

Anyway. I've been deputized as a special voter registration deputy in the city of Madison, so if there are any Madison residents here who need to register (or re-register if you've moved since the last time you voted) please feel free to send me a PM and we can set up a meeting. I can also answer most questions regarding voter registration in Wisconsin or at least direct you to someone who will know the answer. Thanks, and make sure to register before October 15th.

Wisconsin has same-day voter registration, doesn't it?

Yeah, it does, but to register without showing proof of residence (like a water bill, cable bill, etc) you must register before the October 15th. In my opinion, as someone who has registered and re-registered to vote three times in three years and done it both ways, it's a lot easier and a lot faster to register beforehand. Registering early just makes things a lot easier on election day for both the voter and the poll worker.

It would be a good idea to register in advance for this election. The lines at the polling places are already going to be long, and registration just makes them longer. I work in a residence hall that also serves as a polling place, and the Election Commission has been in contact with me for months to make sure we try and get all of our students registered so the lines aren't unmanageable an election day.

i got a voter registration form from one of the candidate's website since my address has changed in the past few months that got sent to the state elections board and soon will apply for an absentee ballot, so I don't have to deal with the lines on election day. You can register on the day as others have said, there are also plenty of 3rd parties willing to register you, you can also register at post offices and libraries as well. Having lived on a college campus for the last election, I remember how crazy registering on election day was since most were people voting in wisconsin for the first time, i'm trying to avoid that at all cost.

Try to register beforehand at your city/town clerk. The lines get crazy during Presidential elections for the same-day stuff.

Here is a good link: http://vpa.wi.gov/

Also, make sure to update your driver's license information. There is a big debate about that info not matching voter roles. They cannot purge your vote because of it, but they may require you to file a provisional ballot.

Archived