Brewer Fanatic

The Good Feet Store - any help?

Patrick425

Has anyone ever been to this place? I have had this continuing issue with my left foot for the last 4 weeks or so that was aggravated by my decision to go golfing today. I went to the Good Feet Store. It's not really a store, but more of just a giant living room with a bunch of couches. The sales person sits me down and asks me a few questions about my situation. After doing some tests he goes in the back room and comes out with 3 sets of arch supports. He has me try each one of them telling me that initially I should start with the higher arch support and gradually work my way down to the smaller one as the day goes on until I get used to wearing them. While I'm trying them, I can definitely notice a reduction in pain.

Finally after all of this, he starts talking about pricing. It's over $700 for all 3 sets!! These are little pieces of curved plastic that probably cost about $1 or $2 to manufacture. I don't have to buy all three sets, but a single set is $250 and it the difference between the 3 sets (in regards to comfort and ease of use) is very different and I can see how you would want to have all three of them.

It kind of seems like a scam to me, but I definitely noticed a difference when I wore these things. I believe I could pay for them out of my HSA account, but I'm not sure I want to use HSA money for this.

Does anyone have any testimonials regarding the good feet store? No - not you Bill Schroder (spl? - too lazy to look it up).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I've had all the symptoms of plantar fasciitis in the past. I've never been diagnosed, but I've read about it and spoken with trainers, and they seem to think that's the issue.

It's essentially pain in the arch and instep of my left foot, which originates at the heel.

It started when I was more of an athlete than I am now, running several times per week.

I got the best relief when I employed four specific things before running.

1. Ibuprofen (Tylenol) to reduce swelling

2. Ice Therapy. I filled a 20 oz. plastic coke bottle with water and kept it in the freezer. I would roll the ice bottle under my feet for 5 minutes or so.

3. Tape. I would use cloth athletic tape on the bottom of my foot to provide support for the heel. It took some trial and error to get it so I could run with a taped foot. It couldn't be too tight, or that would be problematic as well.

4. Relaced my shoes. A good runner's shop will show you how to lace your shoes so they provide the most support for your feet.

On occasion, I've also replaced some of the worn insoles of shoes. I have used the green Superfeet brand, and they work okay, but not as well as the trainer's tape.

I don't think I'd opt for the more expensive solution until you try some or all of the cheaper ones. You can get a 6-pack of tape for less than $10, and that should last several months.

Good luck!

i'm not a giant fan of Superfeet because the heel is still pretty hard, but i really like SofSole. I had a really bad right foot problem when i was hiking and used those, plus i taped in an arch support to raise that and it helped. basically it was a shift of weight when the foot landed.

[braun Grand Slam!!!!!!!] sorry, not related, but that was awesome.

if you don't have the insurance to pay for the expensive stuff, the cheaper solutions likely won't work as well, but they at least couldn't hurt to try first.

Ibuprofen's great if it's a once in a while thing, you just shouldn't be taking that stuff on a regular, long-term basis. and agree with Jim's suggestion of relacing your shoes. I've done it and haven't noticed the difference, but I've heard several people before suggesting the same thing.

http://link.brightcove.co...329255460/bctid1332234594

Here's a link that I think should work to provide a short video on the technique.

Part of the problem is in wearing mesh running shoes, in that the mesh stretches over time, so the shoes that fit fine when you bought them stretch to be a little too big, creating lots of slipping in the heel. You can tell when you pull your laces really tight, and the top part of the shoes nearly come together in the middle over the tongue. It's nearly impossible to draw newer stiffer shoes that tight.

The same lack of support happens in wearing shoes with insoles that are worn. . .or in wearing flipflop sandals too often.

Another good insole that I've worn is Spenco.

I just can't see spending $250 on a pair of orthotics. Maybe my problems haven't been as bad as other people, but my cheaper solutions have suited me fine.

Last week I attended a presentation given by a certified pedorthist and he had bad things to say about the Good Feet Store.

I have heard that too. Someone with more time can look it up, but I am pretty sure they have been sued and or had fraud charges filed against them.

Jimbo wrote:
Last week I attended a presentation given by a certified pedorthist and he had bad things to say about the Good Feet Store.

I have heard that too. Someone with more time can look it up, but I am pretty sure they have been sued and or had fraud charges filed against them.

After yesterday's experience, none of this would suprise me. It just seemed like a complete racket to me. It was almost like going into a car dealership the way the salesman worked it. When I told him I wanted to check and see if I could use HSA money and that maybe I would come back, he said I could charge it now and then if I find I could use HSA money, he would credit my charge card and take my HSA check. He clearly did not want me walking out without making a purchase (not that that's unusual for a sales person, but this was more of a hard sell).

Thanks for all the advise. I ended up going to wall greens and buying some Dr. Shoals inserts for $15. Wearing them now. We'll see how they work.

Edit: Interesting thread about the Good Feet Store that i found: http://heelspurs.com/bbs/bbt.cgi?n=105826

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If you have insurance through work, go to a podiatrist and they'll make you prescription supports.

I just got my third pair of custom orthotics through my podiatrist and even though they were not covered by my insurance the cash price was about $350, so you're already ahead of the Good Feet store there.

I would highly recommend first going to a New Balance store - they have an array of very good supports that are almost as good as the custom ones I got through my podiatrist but they only cost about $40. Try those first before spending $300+ on other stuff.

My Folks went and bought these things. They said that it was a complete rip off. Didn't really help anything. Wonder if just getting a nice set of insoles would work, although I know some of them could be pricey too. Go on Web MD, one of my friends went on there with a foot problem, and they pointed him at a insole/brace that straightened out his foot, and the thing only cost like $20 over the internet.

Archived