Brewer Fanatic

Framing for your Autographed 8x10's 16x20's

BrewCrew25
So I bought a bunch of stuff to do my own framing/matting a few weeks ago and have been framing my stuff double matted in team colors. I'm doing 2 different kinds of framing, one with an equal border all the way around, and another that I have a metal plate inscribed and stick that in the frame.

it depends on the quality of the mat board you are using. if it is museum quality, it will last forever and not become discolored, faded, etc...

that would jack up the cost, as obviously that stuff is more expensive than the regular matboard.

I also mat my own stuff and can do it for about 1/10 the cost of having someone do it professionally. I learned to do it in college.

It doesn't take long to do if you know what you are doing...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I've got a bunch of 16x20's and other odd-shaped prints that I am planning on getting framed sometime in the future. I would definitely be interested, and would like to see a finished product as well if possible. Also, where or how would one go about learning how to do this by one's self?

The mat board is your standard mat board from like a hobby type shop. I've used it in the past and never had a problem with it, but I also don't have any of my pictures in direct sunlight either.

I will get some pictures up when I get them finished (probably within the next week since I will be gone)

I just kind of researched it on the internet and played around with a mat cutter. My biggest problem so far is just finding the right size frames for the standard sized pictures. When you get into odd shaped pictures that's when the price starts to shoot up with custom sized frames.

The mat board is your standard mat board from like a hobby type shop. I've used it in the past and never had a problem with it, but I also don't have any of my pictures in direct sunlight either.
direct sunlight is bad, but just time will also ruin the cheap matboard... Also, and most importantly, the cheap matboard, over time will also damage the photo, artwork, or whatever you have matted...

You only want to get ACID-FREE matboard. If you don't, a few years down the road, you will see problems.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'll concur on the quality of the matting.

I have a couple of photos printed on quality photo paper that became noticably discolored because I didn't use acid-free matting. The damage was done in less than 10 years. I am also a proponent of using UV shielding glass. Fading will occur over time without it.

There is some very good information in this thread.

I do all my own framing now. I used to take it to sports stores. I found Hobby Lobby and have never looked back.

Dont go cheap though when you are doing it. What I mean is, you could do things a little cheaper and only really save yourself $10 bucks on an 8x10 photo.

UV or "museum quality glass" is a must and is only dollars more.

Acid free matting, Acid free backing and Acid free tape is also a must. Again, it is only dollars more.

I am at the point now where I only purchase the photos now so I am can frame them myself. Hobby Lobby will cut the matting for your photo too. There is usually always a 40% coupon on their website (hobbylobby.com) and their woods frames are 50% off every other week.

There you go. There are all my secrets.

My brother got a signed Favre jersey last year that has the 422 TD inscription and there were only 422 signed. He took it to get framed and with UV glass and the whole kit and kaboodle, they wanted to charge upwards of $500. Custom framing is NEVER cheap.

The framing issue I've had the most problems with is the Prince ESPN the Mag from last season. There was a 2-page spread on the Inside where you have to turn the mag and he's standing with the Sausages peering out from behind him. ESPN the Mag is larger than standard size and then you make it a double spread - I can't find a frame to use. Stupid odd-sized magazine.

I like the way this thread is going.

A couple questions...

1. Talking about going with the UV glass and acid free matting, where can you find that and how much does it usually cost? I got my matting from Hobby Lobby as well and it was actually 50% off that week. I wasn't aware that they will cut the matting for you, so that's good to know. I think with the 50% off it was $4 per sheet which I think it comes in a 32" x 40" sheet.

2. Those of you that get the UV glass, where do you get your frames? Do you just get a standard frame and then replace the glass with the UV glass?

One more thing as far as metal plates goes for the frames. I found a guy on ebay that does custom sizing and inscribing on metal plates. I've used him 4 times so far for plates for frames and I couldn't be happier. It's about $10 for each plate and it has the player's name, number, team, and the team logo inscribed in it (even was able to do the Milwaukee Braves logo). The ones I've gotten are black with a gold based so when it's inscribed, the writing shows up gold on the black. Here's a couple of the different things he can do:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/50e15d968e37dc0a1fd16efff96c5437c64d2af.pjpg

If anybody would be interested and we can get a good number to order, I might be able to get a discount on a bulk sale of them. He ships pretty quick (usually get it within 2 days of my order). I'm planning on ordering 3 or 4. Let me know if you're interested.

Brewcrew25----

You can get everything you need at Hobby Lobby and NO! I dont work there or have any of there stock!

They have the UV glass.

To the poster above who wondered what it cost to frame an 8x10 with the "good stuff"...I have a double matted, real wood frame (the cheaper stuff is fake wood) with acid free everything and UV glass...it cost me $40. It would have been roughly $32/$33 for single matted.

How much does an avg 8x10 cost to mat yourself(with the good stuff)?, great thread. i vote for a sticky!

For a point of reference, a professionally done, double matted 8x10 photo with a cutout for a signature--total framed piece sized to around 11x14 or 12x15 with UV Tru-Vu conservation glass is between $125 and $160, depending on where you get it done.

That's with a fairly inexpensive piece of Bendix (now Larson-Juhl) wood moulding.

I must say, I thought this thread was going to be more primitive. Buying wood (moulded or not), making your own cuts, staining & finishing, etc.

But I do like this thread as it is as well. If I can put it together via items bought at Hobby Lobby for $30-40, then that sure as heck saves me a lot of time and effort.

For custom items though that can't be pre-purchased, it might be nice if there were tips like where to buy wood moulding for frames and places that cut glass, etc.

I thought Woodworkers Depot in Green Bay would be a good place for the wood moulding, but either I missed it or they don't have it. I was there looking around for something else at the time.

Brewcrew25----

You can get everything you need at Hobby Lobby and NO! I dont work there or have any of there stock!

They have the UV glass.

To the poster above who wondered what it cost to frame an 8x10 with the "good stuff"...I have a double matted, real wood frame (the cheaper stuff is fake wood) with acid free everything and UV glass...it cost me $40. It would have been roughly $32/$33 for single matted.

Awesome. I see that is ALOT cheaper than what i have been looking at price wise to get it professionally done. I might try this out.

Brewcrew25, i might be interested in getting one of those plates within the next few months, if i can get my picture i want signed soon enough.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

• 2 weeks later...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/jimhaas/IMG_1831.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/jimhaas/IMG_1830.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/jimhaas/IMG_1829.jpg

I recently got done framing some stuff and wanted to post the pictures so people could see what I am talking about.

The first photo are two 8x10's of Paul and Robin. Both have the UV glass and are double matted. The second photo is Ryan Braun's game used signed batting glove in a shadowbox. I bought the shadow box from Hobby Lobby and removed the normal glass and put in the UV glass. The bottom photo is a 16x20 of Robin. It also has the UV glass and is double matted.

So people have some ideas on pricing when you do it yourself. The shadow box completed cost me $32. The Robin 16x20 double matted into an 18x24 piece was about $90.

It still isnt cheap if you do things yourself. I use the museum or UV glass and acid free everything (matting, tape, foam backboard).

Thanks BHF! The pictures are from my office.

My collection seems to grow and grow! Right now though, it seems to be about 70/30 Packers memorabilia to Brewers memorabilia. Until recently, most of my brewers stuff has been Paul and Robin.

it seems to be about 70/30 Packers memorabilia to Brewers memorabilia.

now your compliments will stop...just kidding

I know it, I know it. Im not proud of it.

The main problem is, it is a lot easier to collect Packers memorabilia because of their countless number of legends, HOFer's and Champions.

I am VERY big fan of the Brewers but lets face it, the Brew Crew just doesnt have too much.

Wow those look great. What's the shovel for looks cool.

I am thinking about framing some of the post season stuff I have. The Keg Party newspaper article oCtoberfest prep rally poster & rally towels with NLDS tickets.

How hard would framing the towels be?

Archived