Brewer Fanatic

New York weather may have big impact on race

NYChez

A 3-day rain event is scheduled to come in to New York Thursday afternoon. This could wash out game 4 of Mets / Cubs and also mean that The Mets would be facing some AA scrub on Monday instead of Harden on Thursday if the game means anything. I imagine Harden would pitch Saturday (possibly in relief) to stay sharp.

Not good news.

I'd imagine it would be Marshall pitching for the Cubs, and you never know if that type of thing would be good or bad. I'd be perfectly fine if they spend 6 hours trying to get that game in on Thursday between rain drops. That would theoretically impact both the Mets and the Cubs who would then have to travel to Milwaukee for the game Friday. Can't imagine their interest level for that game would be very high at that point. Can work both ways. There are all kinds of scenarios that could come of that.

People like to criticize weather forecasters because they tend to only remember times when they are wrong. For the most part (if you really pay attention to a weather forecast and not just look at the graphics they put up...just because they show rain drops on their graphic does not mean that it will rain all day or that the entire viewing area will see rain), I think meteorologists do a fairly good job on predicting something that is not in their control.

It seems fairly certain that NY will get some rain at some point Thurs-Sat. Right now it looks like Friday has the highest probability of being a wash out. With some luck they may be able to get the game in on Thursday between rain showers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Miller Park is available Thursday during the day...

Its available Monday and Tuesday too. How about the rain just hangs around NY a few more day. The Cubs and Mets play the makeup game at MP, and then the Mets just stay here for game 163?

According to weather.com, there is a 70% chance of rain and/or showers in NY on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with a 40% chance of rain on Sunday. While this could hurt us in terms of the Cubs rotation and makeup game roster, this could actually work to our benefit. What if 3 games get rained out this weekend? Would the Mets have to play doubleheaders on back to back days to end the season?

Sunday - 2 vs Marlins

Monday - 1 vs Marlins, 1 vs Cubs scrubs?

Has anything like that ever happened? A doubleheader against different teams? Obviously this only happens if every game matters but it could make the Mets play a ton of games in a short period (granted all at home). What else could they do?

1 vs Cubs on Monday, 1 vs Marlins on Tuesday...then a potential 1 game playoff with Milwaukee on Wednesday? I would think that would throw a wrench in the playoff schedule. Thoughts?

...that The Mets would be facing some AA scrub on Monday instead of Harden on Thursday if the game means anything. I imagine Harden would pitch Saturday (possibly in relief) to stay sharp.
Don't be so sure. Games 3 & 4 are Saturday and Sunday. Why not run the Sunday starter out on Monday? He'd still get 5 days off.

Community Moderator

It would be agonizing if we win 4 out of the last 5 and then have to sit and wait for the Mets to play a few games to see if we're in.

I guess I'll also comment that coastal lows like this one are very difficult to predict, so the timing/extent of the heavy rain is definitely in question. If I were the Mets, I would move Thursday's game to noon, since the rain is expected to go from Thursday evening to Saturday morning.

Phillies figure to be affected too. The forecast for Philadelphia isn't any better. I don't think overall it affects the race though it might affect those teams ability to get their rotations in order for the playoffs. It would undoubtedly help the Brewers to delay a one game playoff, especially of say both Phillies and Mets are playing doubleheaders on Monday.

My guess is baseball does whatever it takes to get this game in. It would not shock me to see them playing in a light to medium rain to avoid the scheduling problems. It seems to happen every year towards the end of the season, where they play games that in April/May would be called without question.

I don't see how rain on Thursday can benefit us at all. If they play through the rain Chicago isn't going to risk any injuries, so their bench players will be playing and Harden will not be pitching. This means Harden gets pushed back to Friday, Dempster Saturday, and Lilly Sunday. No more Marquis.

If the game is postponed, the same thing will happen. Harden will pitch Friday, and if the game is made up Monday, the Cubs will play their scrubs. And I don't think they would hold Dempster off until Monday just for the fact that the game may not be played.

I'm praying the teams are looking at the weather and try to get the game in during the day. If they get the game in Thursday and Friday and Saturdays games are postponed, that's fine with me. But they NEED to get Thursday's game in, preferably with Harden pitching.

Even if they played Thursday in wet conditions, it might prompt Piniella to rest all his regulars (including Harden) to avoid injuries. Just imagining a worst case scenario of the Mets playing a doubleheader Sunday vs. the Fish, then playing an afternoon game Monday vs. the Marlins and another game vs. the Cubs at night, then an afternoon playoff game Tuesday vs the Brewers boggles the mind.

Looking at weather.com it appears the rain comes tommorrow after 3pm. I don't see why they can't move the game from 7 est to 12 est and let the Cubs get out of town earlier. Than you just have to worry about the final series of the season.

Community Moderator
Just to make things a little more fun, the Low off the Carolina coast is starting to develop tropical characteristics. The other tropical disturbance around Puerto Rico is also expected to move into the Northeast. It could easily rain the whole weekend, with strong winds as well.

Looking at weather.com it appears the rain comes tommorrow after 3pm. I don't see why they can't move the game from 7 est to 12 est and let the Cubs get out of town earlier. Than you just have to worry about the final series of the season.
It would be great if they could move Thursday's game up. I don't anyone would object.

JSOnline's blog mentions that the Mets have "used up their quota" of day-night doubleheaders, which would force them into a back-to-back situation should one become necessary? What is this quota? Reminds me of a school district using up all their snow days.

Blog

So it looks like the Mets will get their game in today. How about they lose tonight and we win out so none of this matters! It would be interesting to see if they would move to a neutral site but I really doubt it. Especially with the division still being up for grabs if the Phils keep losing.

I agree with fondybrewfan. I sure hope the game gets played tonight so there is no facing Harden. The Brewers are going to have a hard enough time beating the 3 pitchers they are facing already without having to face Harden. If the other games get rained out all we have to do is win and put the pressure on the Mets even more.

Ideally the perfect situation would be to get in 4 innings and then the game gets called. Harden would be off the table for tommorrow and they still would be forced to makeup the game in its entirety. They way it looks the game should start on time, but around 7 or 8 is when it could start to rain

Archived