Brewer Fanatic

Solving third base.

clancyphile

It seems to come down to:

1) Do the Brewers really think they have a viable shot to go places in 2009 or is it a transition year to 2010? How much capital do they want to lay out at 3B when they are already paying Hall way too much? Do they platoon a cheaper 3TO or Lamb option with Hall or go out and sign a legit 3B guy? This may depend on whether they feel laying out that type of money is worth it for 2009...it may take a Cameron type contract to get someone.

2) Will Gamel and/or Escobar be ready for 2010 to be regulars? This may determine whether they just need to plug the hole for one year or two. If these guys are tabbed for 2011...signing someone on a 2-4 year deal or making a trade with the ability to trade the player (ala Overbay) to clear space may make sense. That may open up the ability to get a higher level of talent.

Why not Mike Lamb?

Indeed, why not Mike Lamb right now?

This topic was discussed at length earlier this month, though I can't find it now. Blalock may be a good option as a lefty platoon, but he can't stay as healthy as Branyan. Casey Blake is good player to have around. I'd like to see them pick up Adrian Beltre for a year, or as a backup plan Melvin Mora. This doesn't solve the lefty bat they so desperately need though. I'd like to see them accomplish that by dropping Cameron and trading for David DeJesus.

Weeks

DeJesus

Braun

Fielder

Hardy

Beltre

Hart

Kendall

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I remember last year when everyone was looking for a 3B and suddenly we signed a CF and moved Hall. This year could be similar. No, I don't think Braun will be moved to 3B, but looking at all of our weak(er)spots (3B, P, 2B, CF), what happens at one might effect another. Do we sign a free agent P or trade? Does Weeks get traded (or moved to CF)?

Here is my take (kinda-sorta in order of probability IMO):

1) Cheap option 1 - Platoon Lamb/3TO/Dillon - Dillon is the bigger Q, but would be used less, since there are less lefties. Hall could replace Dillon, but I think he will be trade bait in the offseason. I don't think he would accept starting only against lefties.

2) Cheap option 2 - Gamel: Can someone compare Braun's D at 3B to Gamel? Doesn't seem like anyone thinks they both stick at 3B, but is Gamel better?

3) Free Agent: Unless its a low salary, I doubt this will happen, since we could be spending $$ at P and CF.

4) Cheap option 3 - JJ/Escobar at SS/3B or 3B/SS. Don't think this will happen.

5) Trade option: Trade JJ/Escobar for a 3B - Could we get a better stick at 3B than JJ's stick just because JJ has good D at SS?

6) Trade Option 2: Trade Fielder. I'm not advocating this, just listing it. Gamel would NEED to start then, since we are short on LH bats anyway.

endaround[/b]]Blake is 35. No way do you give him anything close to a 3 year deal.
Almost exactly 3 years younger than Craig Counsell right now. If Blake would sign a similar 2-3yr contract with us this year like Counsell did in 06, I would be very happy. I know he would cost us a lot more than the 2.8 million per year plus an option year that Craig did but it's not like it would be unprecedented by the Brewers to make a similar deal. I don't think that it will happen, but out of the options that clancy started this thread with, it's the one that I would most like to see happen.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I say Lamb. In fact, is Counsell that much better than him with the glove to justify Lamb not getting any starts NOW?

No. But I suspect that since Lamb is not postseason eligible, they are thinking they have to play Counsell. At least it gives them a very viable lefthanded bat to PH late.

Then again, they have Coffey playing a pretty significant bullpen role and he's not eligible either.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No. But I suspect that since Lamb is not postseason eligible, they are thinking they have to play Counsell. At least it gives them a very viable lefthanded bat to PH late.

Then again, they have Coffey playing a pretty significant bullpen role and he's not eligible either.

Don't the Brewers have the option of adding one person due to the fact that Kapler was injured after the Aug 31st deadline?

Don't the Brewers have the option of adding one person due to the fact that Kapler was injured after the Aug 31st deadline?
But I think that person has to have been on the 40 man roster prior to August 31....

Although he had a down year at Toronto, I would go after Scott Rolen. He has two years left at 11M per. Maybe they would be willing to take a Weeks or Hall plus a mid level considering Rolen hasn't done a whole lot this year. The gamble would be that Rolen still has something left offensively. At least he would be able to provide solid D. Also, he's not a big strike out guy and has a career 370 OBP.

I'd guess Hall will be hard to trade this offeseason, as he's been a bench player most of this season.

Therefore, I'd say a Hall/Branyan (or Lamb) platoon would be likely to start the season. Gamel will likely start the season at AAA with the (high) potential of being called up a couple of months into the season.

On a side note, what's with all the "he wouldn't accept the move" talk. If he's under contract, Hall will have to play when {insert 2009 Brewers' manager name here} says he will. Same holds true with Hardy if they should choose someday to move him to 3B. They don't have to like it, but they don't really have a choice but to accept it. Most players aren't able or willing to pull a Manny Ramirez and fake an injury, so they either play or find another line of work (that would pay them substantially less than the $4+MM Hall will gladly accept from the Brewers for the next two seasons).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think a Lamb/Hall platoon would out play Rolen at this point in his career. His power is largely gone, his AVG has dropped enough he is a .340 OBP guy and his defense has slipped some. Plus he is only a 400 AB a year type of guy now.

What about Morgan Ensberg on a one year deal? I agree with some others and I think Hardy is/should be the answer. Pay him a little more on a 4 year deal and move him to third. If he doesnt want to, then move him anyway, and let him walk when his free agency comes up, and I guess hope Green or Lawrie is ready by then. I also wouldnt be opposed to a Bill Hall/Mike Lamb platoon next year, though.

Hall happily moving from SS isn't something that happens very often. The player doesn't usually go full Shefield but very few will move happily if it costs them moeny and it would cost JJ lots of money. In addition Escobar's bat just iosn't ready. A Branyan/Hall platoon with Lamb on the bench and Hardy at SS will vastly outproduce anything with Escobar in the lineup. Let Escobar develop some power before burning his cheap years in Milwaukee.

Hall happily moving from SS isn't something that happens very often. The player doesn't usually go full Shefield but very few will move happily if it costs them moeny and it would cost JJ lots of money. In addition Escobar's bat just iosn't ready. A Branyan/Hall platoon with Lamb on the bench and Hardy at SS will vastly outproduce anything with Escobar in the lineup. Let Escobar develop some power before burning his cheap years in Milwaukee.
I can mostly get behind everything you said, with the exception if that they can deal for a legit young pitcher, they should make the deal and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. I'm much more concerned with the state of the pitching staff than I am with the state position players. I'd rather work from the pitchers down, than the hitters down, if that makes sense.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Heck, if Escobar doesn't develop a lot of power, you have a new 2B and leadoff hitter, and Weeks can be shopped.

Archived