Brewer Fanatic

5/13/06 Mets (Gonzalez) @ Brewers (Eveland), 6:05 PM CST

wOOgiE22
However, Carlos has not been a streaky player throughout his career like Jenkins has. I think Carlos will play much better throughout this entire season, especially now that he's faced NL pitchers for an entire season. Not to mention he is in his prime of his career, and I think all can agree Jenkins is starting to get to the downside of his.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

However, Carlos has not been a streaky player throughout his career like Jenkins has. I think Carlos will play much better throughout this entire season, especially now that he's faced NL pitchers for an entire season.

Carlos' streakiness last year was already well documented.

In 2004 he had a .821 OPS pre-all star, and a .975 OPS post all star.

In 2003 he had a .756 OPS pre all star, and a .919 OPS post all star.

In 2002 he had a .772 OPS pre-all star, and a .928 OPS post all star.

I'd say the assertation that he's not a streaky hitter is pretty much statistically false. Granted he had better halves in the 2nd half, but last year he had a far worse half in the 2nd half. The only point I'm trying to illustrate however, is that Lee IS just as streaky as any other hitter out there.

Not to mention he is in his prime of his career, and I think all can agree Jenkins is starting to get to the downside of his.

Jenkins turns 32 in July. Carlos turns 30 in June. 2 years is a difference, but it's not a huge difference.

EDIT: I'm not saying I prefer Jenks over Carlos. I'm simply pointing out some statistical facts.

But does having better second-half numbers every year mean that you are streaky or that you get better as the year goes on?

EDIT: I think last year was the only year that Carlos had a worse second half. Maybe because he got tired, maybe because NL pitchers figured him out before he figured them out, who knows? But, throughout his career he has not been known for streaks like Jenkins has.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In my opinion, streaky is streaky. If you're hitting for crap in the first half, you're costing your team games, which are just as important to win as games in the 2nd half.

They say the magic number for the WC is 90 wins, and every win you get, whether it's on opening day or September 30th, counts the same.

Willie Randolph has no class. Prior to Brady's at bat there was a mound visit, in which I'm sure they were discussing how Sanchez was to be taken out of the game, but there was no reliever ready in the bullpen.

Sanchez barely missed Brady with the first pitch, then when he did hit Brady, Brady stared him down while walking to first, since it was patently obvious Sanchez had no intention of pitching to Brady. Too bad the punishment did not fit the crime in this situation.

edit: missed a word!

Man, oh, Manischewitz,

Stupid Jose Valentin.

For me, the good parts of that game were good enough to dull most of the pain of the bad parts. They didn't win in front of the big crowd, but they didn't 'lay an egg' either. This was not the type of game that turns off a casual fan.

There were an awful lot of people there - the lines at 4:30 snaked out a long way from every gate - and the vast majority of fans stayed until the end. This made for a slow trip out of the park, but on the bright side we got to hear an hour of WSSP postgame instead of 20 minutes. Better yet, the fans were into the game. I enjoy not being the only one clapping.

The back to back dingers in the 8th were truly exciting. The momentum in the park was terrific. I don't have a problem with Ned following that up with Turnbow in the 9th. However...

I have one word. DEMARIA. this should be over.

That was the move I could not figure out. (I also would have taken Dana out sooner, but I wasn't surprised when Ned didn't.) Why. Not. Matt. Wise? I was a little surprised to not see much discussion about this in the IGT.

Not to further torture those of you not in attendance, but this Turnbow bobblehead is sweet. Someone even thought to position some of the hair in front of each ear - kind of like sideburns. It's so shaggy.

Prince saved me some cash, indirectly: during his last at-bat, when most everyone in the park was thinking one thing, I secretly vowed to buy a Fielder jersey if he hit the walkoff. Since I don't truly have $250 (or whatever it is) to sink into one top, he sort of did me a favor. Yes, I know I could have gotten the $25 t-shirt, but that wasn't the promise I made during the at bat.

Final (off-field) note: To the couple who cut through our line at 4:40, clearly leaving the park because all they came for was the bobblehead:

I hope you get ripped off when you sell your merchandise on eBay.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Verified Member

This was one of the most schizophrenic games I have ever attended. I don't know whether to be thrilled and proud of the comeback and the never-say-die sprit . . or be alarmed by the strikeouts with RISP and the horrible replacements for our injured arms.

It was aweome and it was ugly. I am incredibly excited and yet terribly concerned too. It was just weird because all the strengths and weaknesses were on display.

Just got home from the game and it was easily one of the most electric games I've ever been to at Miller Park. That 8th inning was incredible. I thought the roof was gonna fly off after Miller's homerun. It was a loss, but it was great to see Milwaukee so excited about baseball again.

Quote:
The whole point is, it's May and roles are still being defined and the team is still coming together. They're a young team and will be up and down. Blame can go to whoever you want, but you still have to keep in perspective that this team down the road is going to be a force. They're not going to make the clutch hits in every situation, make the right pitches all the time. Last time I checked, there hasn't been a team that went 162-0. There's going to be losses....big ones, and close ones.

Why does everyone always point out the Brewers youth when they lose? Truth be told, they are not THAT young of a team. They have the right mix of youngsters and vets where they SHOULD be able to win. The outfield are made up of all veterans -- Lee, Jenks, and Clark. The infield has the young guns at 1B, 2B and short, and the 3B platoon is one solid vet and one solid youngster.

The bullpen is a pretty good mix of young guys and vets, but in the starting rotation, Bush is really the only "young" one. It's not like the others are over the hill by any means, but I hear so much about how young of a team we are -- we're not that young.

This one is tough to swallow.

I was ragging on/joking with my girlfriend all week for making me miss D-Bow Bobblehead night to go to prom http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ...and when we get back in the car after dinner we hear Powell say "one of the most wildly entertaining games in Miller Park history", so that didnt help things.

Now we've got Pedro on the mound for the Mets and we are in fear of dropping 2 games under .500. Hopefully, Last week's west coast swing and last nights game will have angered this team enough to wear out the baseball like crazy today.

P.S.--- Doug Davis: Strikes = Good. Let's not have a repeat of your last Retro Sunday outing, ok?

That game last night was amazing. I'm going again today, and I was contemplating the "Who's your daddy?" sign.

I couldn't agree more. Being down 6-4 and surrendering a 2 run shot to Valentin, giving him 4 RBI's for the night is the reason we lost that game. I've said this before, and I'll continue to say it until something is done, but Demaria and Fernandez have ZERO business pitching in the big leagues. As long as those 2 are on the roster, the Brewers will never see 82 wins. What a game though, just can't believe Wise wasn't put into the game.

I had a blast even though they lost. I had no voice this morning when i woke up. The crowd in the 8th inning was the loudest i have ever heard Miller Park. It was great to see Damion come out for a curtain call. After Damion's homerun most of the crowd was on there feet for the rest of the inning. Then in the bottom of the 9th the crowd was on there feet again. Even though they lost in front of 45,213, i was just so happy they did not lay a egg. Not to many people left early after the top of the 8th homerun. it was alllot of fun.

One thing I'm having trouble looking at on this board is how Demaria is getting lumped into the same sentence as Fernandez. Yes, Demaria gave up two huge runs yesterday, but he is a 25 year old reliever with 18 innings of major league experience who had no business being put in a situation like that. I think thats on Yost, not Demaria. Demaria has shown the ability to get people out in the minor leagues, although he was always a little old for his level. I think this guy has a chance to be at least an average reliever in the majors. I believe the same thing happened in 2004 with Jeff Bennett. Yost continually put him into situations a player that young had no business being in. Just my two cents.

Archived