Brewer Fanatic

9/23/08 Pirates (Karstens) at Brewers (Bush): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great night tonight. Walk-off homer and the sleeping giants of St. Louis were officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Houston is also a non issue at this point. It is almost impossible for the Astros to take the wild card now since multiple teams have to not win any games for it to happen. It is more or less down to Mets, Phillies, Brewers.

Just home from the game, the team showed more emotion than I've seen all year - even before the walk-off. Braun's 1st inning shot really fired them up. Even the crowd was pretty good - into the game, minimal booing (save Mota) - its amazing what giveaway towels will do.

It sounds crazy, but I think this team is going to the playoffs. And for the first time this month, it looks like they think they're going.

minimal booing (save Mota)
Figures. Booing our most reliable reliever for the last couple months simply because he had a bad inning. Boo for lack of effort, boo a player for being a jerk, but don't boo just for a poor performance, especially since a) baseball is a game of constant failure, and b) Mota has been fantastic lately.

A major league pitcher, who was just handed a one-run lead, walks the first hitter on 4 pitches. That is boo-worthy. I didn't have a problem with the HR...he hung a slider, it happens. It's the inexcusable 4-pitch walk to a mediocre hitter that cannot happen. Regardless...I want Mota to have the ball late in tomorrow's game, and Thursday's and all weekend if need be.

I've been looking for good omens the past couple of games:

Jason Kendall hit a clutch RBI double to tie the game with two outs

Prince Fielder hit a majestic walk-off HR

I really hope these are moments we'll remember years from now. And, oh yeah, how bout those sleeping giants?

I'm late with comments, but with Bush's 3 walks that all scored (LaRoche is hitting under .200 as well as the pitcher), and Mota's leadoff walk, we were lucky to pull this one out.

It was exciting, but let's hope we play better tomorrow.

Archived