Brewer Fanatic

Could Sheets' injury affect draft pick compensation?

Thurston Fluff

I'm not sure if I have this right so I thought I'd ask.

If Sheets can't pitch again this season and worst case scenario he needs surgery wouldn't that effectively eliminate us getting compensation for him.

The way I understand it the Brewers would have to offer him arbitration to be eligible for compensation. Would they do that if he had surgery? I believe the maximum reduction in arbitration is 20% of the previous year's contract. If he needs surgery nobody is going to want him next year a that high of a price and give up a first or second round pick to boot. If he can't get a nice deal he'd be smart to opt for doing a one year arby deal and if the Brewers do offer him. So wouldn't we be stuck with an injured pitcher coming off surgery at $7ish million if we offered him arby?

Anyone know for sure how arbitration works in this sort of situation? Is Ben's injuries going to hurt us one last time on his way out of town?

(edit: title --1992)

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Backupcatchers,

The Cubs were in a similar situation with Mark Prior last offseason though draft compensation didn't really figure in. If the Cubs wanted to keep Prior, they would have had to offer him around $3 million in arby. They weren't obviously convinced Prior would be able to pitch in 08, so that was too much for them to swallow. What they tried to do was to offer Prior a 2 year guaranteed deal with a real low amount (say $500K) for the second year to make the total deal $3.5, or a more reasonable $1.75 million per year. (Numbers aren't exact but approximations).

Prior figured he'd rebound in 08 and be worth much more than that so he rejected the Cub offer, ended up signing for the Padres for a million and now who knows if he'll ever see the major leagues again.

Thank Jb. I guess the question is does arbitration work on a one year basis or does the team offers arbitration and they offer a multi-year contract and the player gives his offer and an arbitrator picks one of the two and the deal is for whatever length the winning side put forth? I'm assuming it's a one year deal for arbitration purposes but you know what they say about assumptions so I figured I'd ask.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Realistically it shouldnt......even if he misses the rest of the season, it will be, what 2 starts he misses? I believe his ERA is still under 3 with a few complete games and 12 wins. Its a shame win totals have been so low because he may appear to some on the face that he's just an average pitcher although we all know when he's healthy he's anything but.

The Brewers could:

• Drop him and not receive picks.
  • Offer him arby and hope another team takes a flyer on him.
  • Sign him with the possibility of going to arbitration.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived