Brewer Fanatic

What is the rotation the rest of the way?; Latest - Sheets to start on Saturday (reply #64ish)

sausage racer
I just listened to Gord Ash on XM's "Baseball this morning". He stated that Sheets feels he can pitch on Saturday and that is the Brewers plan, unless something pops up between now and then regarding Sheets elbow. I would be more excited about this if he was pitching tonight in place of Suppan. I'm not sure I prefer a possibly less than 100% Sheets over Bush. I like the way Bush has pitched over the last couple of months.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure Suppan is on a real short leash, and McClung has been told to prepare as if he's starting. Then Saturday, same situation with Sheets/Bush. Tonight is huge, of course. Suppan vs Dempster is scary as it gets. With Santana and Sabathia going Sunday, this is practically a 2 game race.

Really, at this point, it doesn't matter who's starting. If Suppon and/or Sheets can only be effective for 2 or 3 innings, no big deal. Pinch hit for them at the firtssfirst opportunity and go to starter #2. That's a luxury that the Brewers have by having so many available starters.

Also, let's remember that a game 163 is a real possibility. Having a decent pitcher, like Bush, ready to go isn't the worst thing.

Crazy to think that Galladdo could get two starts in the first round of the playoffs? If theBrewers make it, I'll bet you he gets game 1.

Really, at this point, it doesn't matter who's starting. If Suppon and/or Sheets can only be effective for 2 or 3 innings, no big deal. Pinch hit for them at the firtssfirst opportunity and go to starter #2.
The problem is with Suppan, I'm worried it will be 5-0 Cubs (or worse) before the 1st innning is even over and the Brewers have any chance of getting him out of there. He's been just awful lately. If either of those guys can effectively pitch 2 or 3 innings without getting hammered, I'll be happy.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think Jeff Cirillo can even do better than 5 runs/inning. furthermore, Svuem will have an insanely fast hook anyway, so no matter how bad Suppan is, he's not going to get a chance to end the game in the first inning. Just pretend he's coming in as a reliever...might make you feel better. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think Jeff Cirillo can even do better than 5 runs/inning.
Did you see Suppan's last game? First inning:

Jerry Hairston Jr.: Strike looking, Ball, Hairston singled to left.
Wilkin Castillo: Strike looking, Pickoff attempt, Pickoff attempt, Castillo reached on bunt single to pitcher, Hairston to second.
Joey Votto: Votto homered to right, Hairston and Castillo scored.
Jolbert Cabrera: Cabrera singled to right.
Jay Bruce: Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Strike swinging, Cabrera stole second, Foul, Bruce homered to right, Cabrera scored.

I'm not sure Sveum can act fast enough for something like that.

His outing before that was not much better.

Well, Vegas is giving the Brewers a 54/46 edge today, so the collective wisdom of the nation is to not just assume the same thing will happen this start as last's. Even a hurt Suppan is not a true 45 ERA pitcher. I pitching machine might be able to do better than that.

But as I always say, if you think Vegas is grossly incorrect, go out there and make some cash! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well Russ, I hope I'm wrong. Especially since I will be at the game tonight. However, nothing that Suppan has done over his last 2 or 3 starts has given me much confidence that he will do any better against what will probably be the Cub's A lineup. How many runs do you think the Brewers will score against Dempster tonight?

My goal for Suppan tonight is 5 innings and 4 runs or less. I will take that in a heartbeat.

I am actually kind of happy Bush is going tommorrow rather than Sheets. Bush pitched well his last time out against the Cubs and we just can't count on Sheets at all. We ran threw our bullpen yesterday, we'll probably run through it again today, we can't have another Sheets 3 inning game tommorrow.

I am actually kind of happy Bush is going tommorrow rather than Sheets. Bush pitched well his last time out against the Cubs and we just can't count on Sheets at all.

Actually according to Gord Ash (see post #50) and the Brewer's web site http://milwaukee.brewers....ble_pitchers.jsp?c_id=mil, it appears that Sheets is scheduled to start tomorrow. That was my original argument in post #50. I would rather see Bush go tonight and Sheets go tomorrow (or vice-versa), then have Suppan in the equation at all.

My goal for Suppan tonight is 5 innings and 4 runs or less. I will take that in a heartbeat.

You're making the assumption that the Brewers can score four or more runs off of Dempster and the bullpen.

Just heard per WTMJ that Sheeter is going tomorrow night! Awesome!
Thanks for the breaking news.

What am I..chopped liver? I think I've mentioned this twice in the last 10 posts.

Sheets scheduled to start

By Anthony Witrado

Friday, Sep 26 2008, 04:37 PM

Dale Sveum announced a few minutes ago that Ben Sheets is healthy enough to start tomorrow against the Cubs even though Dave Bush was penciled in today as the starter.

This is a turn from what we were told yesterday when Sveum said it would take a some sort of minor miracle for him to take the ball. Later in the day, Sheets himself said he had no idea if he'd be able to start. Turns out that was just blowing smoke because after his three-minute bullpen session yesterday, Sheets told Sveum he was good enough to go.

"He's pitching tomorrow," Sveum said. "As of right now he's our starting pitcher for tomorrow's ball game. We'll see how things go. He said he's feeling as good as he has in a month, so we'll see what happens."

Sheets hasn't pitched since leaving his last start in Chicago after two innings with what was called forearm tightness. He revealed later that same night that it was an elbow problem that has bothered him since late August. And until Sveum's pre-game media session, it was likely that Sheets had started his last regular-season game with for the Brewers.

Things have obviously changed.

"The ability for him to look you straight in the face and say he feels fine, that's good enough for me," Sveum said. "He's one of the best pitchers in baseball when he's healthy, so he's starting tomorrow."

Bush will be on standby until game time, though. And he could come out of the bullpen for long relief.

I sure hope Sheets is healthy. A sub par Sheets could be as bad as a September Suppan.

Here's a question for everyone: If Sunday rolls around and we are leading the WC by one game, do you start Sabathia? We could rest him for the playoffs, hoping that whoever else we start can get the job done, or the Mets lose and it doesn't matter. Worst case is we go to a one game playoff with Sabathia on regular rest.

Here's a question for everyone: If Sunday rolls around and we are leading the WC by one game, do you start Sabathia?
Yes, and its not close. I am not crazy about 3 consecutive starts on short rest. But until you are in, you are not in. And if you are not in, there is no reason to save anyone for anything. The potential tie breaker is just that - it amounts to a 163rd game on the schedule.

Turns out that was just blowing smoke because after his three-minute bullpen session yesterday, Sheets told Sveum he was good enough to go.

Well, I feel 100% confident we'll get 7 strong innings out of Sheets tomorrow. Sounds like he threw at least 15 pitches in the bullpen without pain. Wonder if they were able to get Lee, Soriano, and Aram to stand in against him on some of those.

Two words: Short leash!

Check that, three words: Very Short Leash!

Here's a question for everyone: If Sunday rolls around and we are leading the WC by one game, do you start Sabathia?
Yes, and its not close. I am not crazy about 3 consecutive starts on short rest. But until you are in, you are not in. And if you are not in, there is no reason to save anyone for anything. The potential tie breaker is just that - it amounts to a 163rd game on the schedule.
If you treat it like a 163 game schedule, then it would make sense to just pencil Sabathia in for his start on regular rest - the 163rd game. If we happen to clinch before then, in the 162nd game, then yay, we can rest Sabathia because we don't even have to play in the 163rd.

Nope. I discussed that yesterday with a friend.

You have to take the chance and try to hope you can have CC for the playoffs. If not, you still have him for game 163.

I am so excited about Sheets. I would imagine CC pitching on 3 days rest and Yovanni pitching after surgery on his knee has been pretty motivating.

We ran threw our bullpen yesterday, we'll probably run through it again today, we can't have another Sheets 3 inning game tommorrow.

Even if Sheets only goes 3 innings, Bush could probably finish the game if needed. Sheets being available can only help the bullpen.

Well, I feel 100% confident we'll get 7 strong innings out of Sheets tomorrow.

I certainly share your uneasiness but it's not like he was going to throw 80 pitches the day before a start. Sheets is going to go out there tomorrow and his elbow is going to start to hurt after 10-20ish pitches or it's not. He and everyone else will know when it does, since he'll start throwing 89 MPH fastballs again. I would guess that Bush will prepare like he's starting tomorrow, just like McClung is today.

This is good news!

I think I've mentioned this twice in the last 10 posts.

Hey, who let chopped liver change his screen name to Patrick425? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I have to just echo the sentiments here... this is great news. For the (imo asinine), 'Where is Sheets when we need him?' line... well here he is, once again, for this franchise.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

You have to take the chance and try to hope you can have CC for the playoffs. If not, you still have him for game 163.

Agreed. Start CC in an elimination game. It wouldn't hurt to get him another day of rest, either. We'd all feel a lot better about CC Sabathia starting at Shea than Dave Bush.

Ken Rosenthal on Fox Sports radio just said a whole lot about the Brewers staff and I will try disect it and reorganize it.

1. If the Brewers are one game up tomorrow and Sheets comes out of it healthy, Dave Bush will start tomorrow, CC Sabathia would then be ready for a one game playoff or Game 1 vs. the Phillies.

2. If the Brewers are one game up tomorrow and Sheets leaves early and the Brewers are forced to pitch Dave Bush tonight, CC Sabathia will start tomorrow, Yovanni Gallardo would start either the one game playoff or game 1 vs. the Phillies.

3. If the Brewers and Mets are tied after today's game CC Sabathia pitches.

4. If the Brewers clinch today then Dave Bush will start with Manny Parra in relief.

The perferred Brewers rotation for the playoffs will be Sabathia, Sheets, Bush.

If the Brewers are forced to use Sabathia anytime before game 1 of the NLDS it will likely include Gallardo in the rotation.

Rosenthal believed that as of right now both Manny Parra and Jeff Suppan would be left off the NLDS playoff roster, replaced by Gallardo and Todd Coffey who is eligable due to Dave Riske going on the DL.

Rosenthal also stated that it is possible that Russell Branyon returns to the DL or Gabe Kapler goes to the DL to make Mike Lamb playoff eligable.

Also said if the Brewers only keep 12 pitchers then Escobar would make the roster if 13 pitchers then Parra would make it.

Archived