Brewer Fanatic

What is the rotation the rest of the way?; Latest - Sheets to start on Saturday (reply #64ish)

sausage racer
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, I would not want to be Sveum in this situation. Sheets injury, Manny's dead arm, and Suppan completely forgetting how to pitch makes it a mess. I don't think starting CC three times in a row on 3 days rest is a good idea. I'd pitch him Thursday and save him for a possible playoff or game one of the NLDS.

DiFelice, anyone?

They could also release Mike Lamb or Joe Dillon and add Sam Narron or pick someone up off the street (a la Coffey) to make an emergency start, or add Joe Bateman and send out 4 relievers for 2+ innings each (have DiFelice or Villy start and go 2-3 innings each, then Bateman for 2, then whomever is available). BTW, BF.net lists Capuano as still being on the 40-man - I thought they put him on the 60-day. If he is still on the 40 they could put him on the 60-day and clear a spot for another arm.

Come game time Wednesday, I would be surprised if both of Lamb and Dillon are still with the team. Release one of them after Tuesday's game, sign someone for an emergency start Wednesday (it's the Pirates, so it's like facing a AAAA team so a AAAA-type like Narron or Lindsay Gulin would be adequate for 4-5 innings), then either keep that pitcher or release him after the game Wednesday and resign Lamb/Dillon on Thursday if you need them. That gives CC his rest to go on Thursday (and possibly/hopefully throw a complete game, resting the bullpen). They they can hold Sheets back until Saturday and either have Bush go Sunday (Bush is very good at home) and Sabathia for tie-breaker game or game 1 of the playoffs, or have CC go on 3 days rest for Sunday.

My bet is that someone who pitches on Wednesday (starter or reliever) is not on the team (or with the team - read: Gallardo) right now.

DiFelice, anyone?
Thank you! I'd certainly start him over Suppan at this point.

I really hate the idea of using CC on three day's rest three times in a row. I'd pitch him Thursday and then play it by ear. DiFelice, Gallardo, Parra and Villanueva may be able to combine for 12-15 innings over a couple games.

I don't really want to make a new topic on this but the Cubs have switched around their rotation to get it ready for the playoffs.

Against the Mets: Marshall, Zambrano, Harden

Against the Brewers: Lilly, Dempster, Marquis

Sebathia has never been very good on 3 days rest. He was pounded in the playoffs twice last year on 3 days rest. If the Brewers start him on 3 days rest twice this week, they risk losing both games. Pitch him Thursday, and take the guaranteed win.

I highly doubt the Brewers need to go 6-0 to win this thing, with the way the Mets have been destroyed by injury and the fact that they have 3 games against the Cubs and 3 against a hot Marlins team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I agree, I think Sabbathia should pitch once on regular rest.

If it comes down to needing a win the last day (or a 1 game tie breaker), then you do whatever you can and pretty much everyone has to be available to some extent.

What about pushing CC to Friday, giving him 5 days rest and allowing him to go against the Cubs? While every game is a must win at this point, I am nervous about CC having to go on short rest three starts in a row, plus we might be able to take our chances with a jerry-rigged starting rotation against the Pirates.

I don't know how reliable the probables on Brewers.com are, but right now CC is listed as probable on Wednesday and Sunday, and Sheets is listed as probable on Saturday (all games beyond tonight had previously been listed as TBA). Thursday and Friday still TBA. It would make sense if Gallardo goes on Thursday and then either Suppan or McClung goes on Friday.

Archived