Brewer Fanatic

What is the rotation the rest of the way?; Latest - Sheets to start on Saturday (reply #64ish)

sausage racer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pittsburg Tuesday Bush (9-10) Karstens (2-6)

Pittsburg Wednesday Sheets (13-8) Maholm (9-8)

Pittsburgh Thursday Sabathia (15-10) Duke (5-14)

Cubs Friday Suppan (10-10) Dempster (17-6)

Cubs Saturday McClung (5-6) Marquis (10-9)

Cubs Sunday Bush (9-10) Harden (10-2)

CC twice would be 3-days rest both times

Pittsburg Tuesday Bush (9-10) Karstens (2-6)

Pittsburg Wednesday Sheets (13-8) Maholm (9-8)

Pittsburgh Thursday Sabathia (15-10) Duke (5-14)

Cubs Friday Suppan (10-10) Dempster (17-6)

Cubs Saturday McClung (5-6) Marquis (10-9)

Cubs Sunday Bush (9-10) Harden (10-2)

CC twice would be 3-days rest both times

I highly, highly doubt Sheets will pitch on wednesday. Maybe saturday, if at all...

How about our matchups vs. the Mets matchups?

I know it is Marquis vs. Neise tonight and Harden vs. Santana tommorrow.

I am also skeptical that we will see Sheets again this year. That start looks like it could be Parra with perhaps an outside shot at Gallardo, although that seems doubtful.

Man, that stinks if there is no CC vs. the Cubs if thats what it comes down to for the Wild Card

Yeah, but those games have to mean something before that becomes an issue. Plus, if game 163 happens, he would be available to start that (I assume).

I wouldn't want to pitch CC on three days rest twice again. Go with him on Thursday, and pitch him on three days rest on Monday if necessary. Dave Bush has been throwing the ball well and would go on regular rest on Sunday. The big question marks are Gallardo, Suppan, and McClung. Can Gallardo start? Do we risk trotting Soup out there again? Do we risk another short outing from McClung? I think if Gallardo is ready, you pitch him on Wednesday. And since McClung + DiFelice > Suppan imo, start McClung on Saturday.

So we'd have:

Pittsburg Tuesday - Bush

Pittsburg Wednesday - Gallardo

Pittsburgh Thursday - Sabathia

Cubs Friday - Sheets

Cubs Saturday - McClung

Cubs Sunday - Bush

Mets Monday? - Sabathia

I'd go:

Tuesday: Bush

Wednesday: Gallardo or Parra

Thursday: Sabathia

Friday: Sheets

Saturday: McClung

Sunday: Bush

Sabathia will be held back for 1 game playoff if needed though I wouldn't rule out him being used in relief on Sunday. Parra matches up much better at home vs. Pirates. If Yo can't go, I think he gives them best option.

I might consider going Sabathia Wednesday and Sunday and Bush Saturday if Sheets can't go at all. Then McClung would go Friday.

Suppan's failed in big games all month. None were bigger than the last game in Philly and he failed miserably. I'd start Difelice over him. A big reason I'd try to hold CC back for a playoff is he doesn't match up well vs. Cubs at all. Soriano's got his number big time and their other RH bats can hurt you.

I'd play it by ear -- I do whatever I can to start CC Sabathia in an elimination game, but I am leery of him starting twice on three days rest. I'm shaky about starting Gallardo, but frankly, I don't want Suppan or Parra touching a baseball this week. And who knows about Sheets? That leaves Bush, McClung, Sabathia, and Gallardo. Now, I'm sure Dale will start Suppan because he's a playoff-experienced, seasoned veteran -- luckily his start will come against the Pirates.

This is what I'm hoping for at this point. It'll change -- CC Sabathia should be starting an elimination game, whether that be Sunday or Monday:

Tuesday: Bush

Wednesday: Sabathia

Thursday: Gallardo/Villanueva biggbpack

Friday: McClung

Saturday: Sheets (Parra, if Sheets can't go?)

Sunday: Bush OR Sabathia

Monday: Bush OR Sabathia

Soriano's got his number big time and their other RH bats can hurt you.

From the naked eye, Alfonso Soriano is the ONLY guy Sabathia has had trouble with on a regular basis. But, would he even be starting this weekend in Milwaukee?

The Brewers are in a very tight spot here with the rotation.

I doubt Sheets pitches ever again for the Brewers, and if he does, how good will he be?

Sabathia wont go twice on 3 days I don't think, unless they want to undergo a potential lawsuit down the road from his agent for potential earnings lost.

Bush and Sabathia are the only decent options right now for this staff, and if they dont pitch complete games, watch out! McClung is awful, Suppan has been pitching batting practice, and if Gallardo makes a start, you might as well write off next year.

Bush vs Pirates Tuesday

Suppan vs Pirates Wednesday

Sabathia vs Pirates Thursday

McClung vs Cubs Friday

DeFelice/Dillard vs Cubs Saturday

Bush vs Cubs Sunday

I this were the middle of Julythe Brewers might have a chance of going 4-2 or 5-1 in this stretch, but right now, winning more than 3 is going to be very difficult. And the Cubs will be bringing their A game this weekend, even if we had a healthy Sheets, an untired Parra and Sabathia, it still would be tough to take 2 of 3.

McClung is awful

I don't agree with that at all. He was dominant in the 2 innings he pitched against the Cubs last week in extra innings and he kept us in the game yesterday eventhough he was starting after having 2 days of rest. I think he has been pretty solid for the most part this year. When he throws his curve for strikes he can be tough. At the very least, he is better than awful

McClung has a lower ERA than Bush, and quite possibly, saved the team once for sure, and maybe twice this year.

I wish we had a few more awful pitchers like him.

By the way, if CC says he can go, the "lawsuit" thing is ridiculous. I'd take CC at 80% happily. Save him for a game that is unlikely to be played? I don't see that as a real popular strategy.

Save him for a game that is unlikely to be played? I don't see that as a real popular strategy.

Do you mean the one-game playoff? The Padres saved Jake Peavy for the one-game playoff last season while they were in Milwaukee. If we're in a situation on Sunday where the Brewers are a game ahead, they should save Sabathia for Monday, if necessary.

And as for McClung ... the Brewers wouldn't be in the position they're in right now without Seth McClung. He's been great for us this week, and he did a fine job back in late May-early July.

I'd like to give Yo the start if he can go instead of McClung. I think we need Seth in the bullpen right now. I don't feel comfortable having to depend on Gagne and Mota late in close games.
To be fair Mota has been real good for quite some time now and Gagne has actually been solid as of late too. Seems like ever since Gagne got boo'd at MP before he even threw a pitch (which was bush league) he has been pretty darn good

This is very tricky. You almost have to have CC pitch Wednesday and Sunday. But then who would pitch the 1 game playoff? But if you save CC for that and don't get to it we could regret it. It will be very interesting to see what Sveum does. If Sheets could pitch Friday or Saturday that would be great but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

This is very tricky. You almost have to have CC pitch Wednesday and Sunday. But then who would pitch the 1 game playoff? But if you save CC for that and don't get to it we could regret it.
Deja Vu all over again. Remember last year the Padres decided to let Peavey rest instead of starting him against the Brewers on the last day of the season. We all know what happened then.

Archived