Brewer Fanatic

Lose Cubs Lose, Lose Cubs Lose!

Brewer Fever
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going forwartd the pitchers are all expected to take their normal turns in the rotation the rest of the season. Obviously they'll be on pitch counts that will be pretty strict. And most of the regulars are expected to be in action the last 4-5 games to tune up for the playoffs. Guess we'll see.
I can't imagine Harden would pitch in the final game of the season. If he does, he's only going about 3 innings.

Today's Trib ranked the teams that Cubs may get in the first round from most favorable to least favorable. They'd prefer to play AZ then LA then NY. They see the Phils as the worst option against the Cubs. Personally, if I were a cub fan, I'd be so happy that the D'Backs are out of it. I don't think the Cubs will do us any favors and fully expect that if anyone stuns the Mets, it will be the Fish.
Formerly Andersoc420

Some of you are really too paranoid about the Cubs. Pinella will, I'm sure, do what he says here:

"When we go to New York, we'll play a team that's in contention for the postseason, and we'll play as representative a lineup as we can," Piniella said. "At the same time, we still haven't clinched home-field advantage for the playoffs, and we have to do that, hopefully.

"I can't let these guys all sit," Piniella said. "We have to use them to keep them as sharp as possible. We'll play our regular lineup in these games [against New York]. The worst thing that can happen is Major League Baseball calls us and tells us, 'Hey, you people have a responsibility,' and we're going to honor that.

"At the same time, if I need to rest a player here or a player there, that we can do," Piniella said. "I can't play a lineup like we're playing [sunday] the rest of the week. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the teams."

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.c...mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

I see them playing like heck to beat the Mets - if the Brewers don't win the wildcard, the Cubs would play the Mets in round 1 if the Phillies hang onto the division....that's 2 games against Johan Santana, not a fun idea for any opposing team.

The Brewers should scare nobody in the playoffs with Sheets ailing, CC scuffling, the offense sputtering, and the bullpen being they typical Brewer bullpen. If I'm the Cubs, I play the next four games like it's the playoffs and rest parts of the team over the final weekend, hoping Milwaukee can find a way to stumble into postseason play.

Regardless of how this pans out...I'm disgusted that the Brewers put us in a position where we as fans need to root for that team...uggh.

However, I want something more out of October than simply rooting against whoever plays the Cubs.

Fine, you win...Go (cough, cough cough) Cubs (ackkkk)...there I said it...now win you guys!!!

I see them playing like heck to beat the Mets...

I was thinking the same thing. If your the Cubs would you rather face a playoff road that consists of the Mets followed by the Dodgers/Phillies, or the Dodgers followed by the Phillies/Brewers?

Lou would never speak it out loud, but he is a crafty old dude, and I would not be the least bit surprised if he wants to beat the Mets more than he wants to beat the Brewers. Whether or not he does anything about it is a different matter, but I gotta think his choice would be pretty clear.

I still refuse to root for the Cubs. I will not be watching any of the games, but I'll be hoping in vain for a Mets sweep of the Cubs, a Marlins sweep of the Mets, and the Brewers winning out.

Man, I'll cheer for anyone to get the Brewers into the playoffs. The Cubs and their fans really don't care about this week - -what will it matter to them if they lose a few games this week? It's like they're on vacation for ten days. I'll put aside my hatred for that organization to will my Milwaukee Brewers into the postseason. Why make your cheering allegiances any more complicated?

Some of you are really too paranoid about the Cubs. Pinella will, I'm sure, do what he says here:

"When we go to New York, we'll play a team that's in contention for the postseason, and we'll play as representative a lineup as we can," Piniella said. "At the same time, we still haven't clinched home-field advantage for the playoffs, and we have to do that, hopefully.

"I can't let these guys all sit," Piniella said. "We have to use them to keep them as sharp as possible. We'll play our regular lineup in these games [against New York]. The worst thing that can happen is Major League Baseball calls us and tells us, 'Hey, you people have a responsibility,' and we're going to honor that.

"At the same time, if I need to rest a player here or a player there, that we can do," Piniella said. "I can't play a lineup like we're playing [sunday] the rest of the week. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the teams."

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.c...mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Lou's been pretty consistent in conveying that message for a while now, and I think you're not very likely to see lineups like the one trotted out against the Cards yesterday. There are a few exceptions I expect to see, starting with the starting pitching, probably a strict 70-80 pitch limit. There are some guys in the bullpen who need work, and are competing for a playoff roster spot, so I don't expect a big letdown in performance by pulling a starter a little early. I could also see Theriot getting some extended time off due to recent struggles (sub-500 OPS in the last month). I would expect Fukudome to get more playing time to see if he can start swinging the bat a little better. He's still getting on base and playing excellent defense, so his inclusion in the lineup isn't detrimental to the team. Lee will probably get a couple of days off, but he hasn't quite been much of an offensive force for most of this season and will likely be replaced by Hoffpauir and Ward. Aramis will probably be getting a couple of days off as well, but I would think that would shift DeRosa to 3B with Fontenot at 2B instead of playing McGehee. I don't envision many lineups missing both Lee and Ramirez. Soriano will probably be in there every day but lifted after 6 in favor of Reed Johnson. Pie will probably give Edmonds a breather in CF, but Felix brings excellent defense with him and has swung the bat pretty well since coming back up.

I guess short story long, I really don't think you need to worry about the Cubs laying down for the 4 games against the Mets.

Well, looking at the pitching matchup tonight doesn't exactly enthuse me. Marquis is quite average and Niese had a great start his last time out, albeit against the Braves. But, Marquis has been very good on the road this year (6-3, 3.03 ERA) and Niese is a rookie LHP and the Cubs usually feast on lefties. Hopefully that all adds up to a Cubs win tonight (did I really just say that??)

This team disgusts me more and more every day. After this epic collapse, they allow the Cubs, of all teams, to have a large hand in their playoff fate. I still refuse to root for the Cubs. I will not be watching any of the games, but I'll be hoping in vain for a Mets sweep of the Cubs, a Marlins sweep of the Mets, and the Brewers winning out.

Wouldn't you rather just have the Cubs win all their games against their Mets so you don't have to rely on the pretty difficult task of the Brewers winning out? It sounds like you hate the Cubs more than you like the Brewers.

It's more likely than not that we're going to miss the playoffs. In which case, I will be a fan of any team that plays the Cubs. That said, the best chance to make up ground is in the next four days. After which time, the Cubs will bring an end to our shabby season, with Miller Park seats filled with the fat rears of their gasbag fans.

Fear The Chorizo wrote:

The Brewers should scare nobody in the playoffs with...CC scuffling...

Since his last complete game shutout:

26.2 IP, 25 K, 4 BB, 29 H, 9 ER, 3.04 ERA, .684 OPS against

I hope every pitcher on the Brewers scuffles like that.

Fear The Chorizo wrote:

but he's got 2 losses now... He's regressing back to where he should be. It's unreasonable to expect him (or any other pitcher) to continue to put up a 1.50 ERA for the rest of this season or his career. CC is still pretty intimidating to face in a short series.

Fear The Chorizo wrote:

but he's got 2 losses now... He's regressing back to where he should be. It's unreasonable to expect him (or any other pitcher) to continue to put up a 1.50 ERA for the rest of this season or his career. CC is still pretty intimidating to face in a short series.

My point is that he is not "scuffling." In the four games since his last win, the Brewers have averaged less than 4 runs per game. W-L record is a fairly meaningless measuring stick for pitchers.

Fear The Chorizo wrote:

My point is that he is not "scuffling." In the four games since his last win, the Brewers have averaged less than 4 runs per game. W-L record is a fairly meaningless measuring stick for pitchers.

the losses part was a joke, I was more or less adding to your point

Root, root, root for the CUBBIES (For 4 games)!

I'm so into the Cubs for these next for days I should be wearing khaki shorts and a Ron Santo jersey.

I will contribute to the cause by drinking Old Style and cheering every fly ball, including fouls.

Dear Cubs,

Please be our good old neighbour and sweep the Mets. After that kindly dump your meaningless last series with us by resting all your regulars for the playoffs and using all your reserves instead.

Many thanks from your pleasant, hospitable and close neighbour upnorth.

Archived