Brewer Fanatic

Garth Iorg: previous 3B coaching experience?

adambr2

Does he have any previous experience coaching 3rd base? Does he whirl his arm to signal "stop" and put his hands up to signal "go"? Because it seems like he has made the incorrect call in every situation that's he been required to make a decision.

(clarified thread title --1992)

I'm sure that a lot of it is unfamiliarity with the players and their speed. Iorg sees a ball hit to the gap and assumes that just about any runner should score so he waves them in, regardless of who it is.

It's what you'd expect when the guy takes over the job with 2 weeks remaining in the season.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't know, but you can say that he has cost us 2 games of the 5 he has been a coach. I thought this when they announced him as the 3rd base coach, but why would they not hire someone that is more familiar with the team to coach 3rd? But it wouldn't have taken a brain surgeon to know that Fielder was not going to be able to score on that ball today.

I'll reiterate my suggestion when the question was asked in the IGT - after watching these guys all season, why not pull Davey Nelson (or Jeff Cirillo) out of the booth and put them in the 3B box, as they've got to have more familiarity with the current baserunning abilities of these players? Or at least move Ed Sedar over there and stick Iorg at 1B.

Does this guy being the best they get indicate that perhaps they had a hard time finding anyone actually qualified who was willing to take the job, under the bizarre circumstances?

Don't they have AAA and AA coaches and managers?

Any chance Kremblas was really fired just before Yost was because he was not willing to take Yost's job or even the 3rd base job under these circumstances?

Frank Kremblas or Sveum should be at third. They actually know a bit about the speed of the players.

EDIT:

Any chance Kremblas was really fired just before Yost was because he was not willing to take Yost's job or even the 3rd base job under these circumstances?

I don't think this is the case. He would've taken either job. The Brewers just didn't want to give him a MLB gig and that's why he was let go. It was more of a mutual thing than actually being fired. The sports news (which barely mentions the Sounds) down here mentioned he was fired because the Brewers told him he wasn't in their plans as far as a MLB job in any coaching or managing capacity.

Even with not knowing the player's speed, the outfielders arms, so on and so forth, a guy who's been in the game as long as Iorg should know better than making the first out of the inning at home plate. Twice.
Yep

It' not like Hardy and Prince were barely out at home. both were complete dead ducks and killed high level scoring chances in two games we lost by only a single run.

I'm still fairly surprised they didn't move Sedar to third, since it's almost a sure thing that he knows both the speed of the Brewers' players and the arms of the opponents better since he's been with the big club for more than a couple of weeks.

I seem to recall Sedar coaching third this year while Sveum was at some family function for a couple of games -- and I think Skalen coached first

Archived