Brewer Fanatic

5/17/06 Phillies (Floyd) @ Brewers (Bush), 7:05 PM CST

wOOgiE22
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ry, I agree it wasn't the right move, but the truth is Turnbow has struggled lately. He needs to get in there and "get the job done" so to speak. Maybe getting yanked in a save situation will get his head on STRAIGHT.

Who knows though? Only he does.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the guy and all but...does anyone else notice the way Craig Coshun's "questions" to the players simply are synopses of various statements that the players merely must add on to....for instance...you may see something along the lines of:

Craig: "Brady, this team rallies to win these games. You've been in the league awhile and know what this does for a team going forward. This type of win sparks a lineup and really picks up the pitching staff that faltered in the top half of the 9th."

Brady: "Yeah, these wins are big. Anytime you're in a close game, you want to find a way to pull it out."

Just watch Craig interview. He really never asks a "question."

I'm still mad at Ned and think it was definitely the wrong choice. That said, a couple of points....

What has Turnbow's pitch count been lately and what was it tonight? Maybe Yost was fearing over-exhausting Turnbow and worried that he had hit a wall?

You gotta blame some of it on Turnbow. If you don't want to get yanked, you gotta slam the door. Letting three hitters reach base is not how a closer should operate.

But I'll close by again saying I think Yost was dead wrong. Didn't like the call then and don't like it now.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I really think that Turnbow should've stayed in, but thats not my decision. He just as easily could've stayed and given up a bomb. maybe this will slap something into him.

as for daron, thats a tough situation to have to call. I still say we have some of the best announcers in the league (which may not be saying a lot), atleast from what I've heard.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Phillies are a very good team. Not every win is perfect, but the fact that the Brewers pulled this and last night's out, I think it really shows a lot of character.

Good things to come, I'll be at the park rooting for a sweep tomorrow!!

Quote:
Just watch Craig interview. He really never asks a "question."

haha, thats exactly what I said to my brother after the game. He just makes an elaborate statement and then the player agrees with him. Don't get me wrong, I never liked Brainerd, but Coshun kind of bugs me in a different way...

If D-Bow is struggling like he is now, he can't be put on a quick leash...He needs to wriggle out of the tough situations by himself like he did in that first homestand.

That said, we probably shouldn't totally beat Yost's move to death We won, and we have another game in 13 and a half hours. Time to move on.

As for Hamels: What is the deal with this guy? What kind of stuff does he have?

Edit: Spelling, Grammar..

Turnbow is a big boy. I think he'll be just fine.

My personal feeling is that Turnbow probably shouldn't even been called up in that situation. He's had pitched int he last 3 games, no? Of course, after he had already been put in, I sure as heck wouldn't have pulled him for a crummy lefty.

Owell, they won, soeveryone is happy.

Quote:
as for daron, thats a tough situation to have to call. I still say we have some of the best announcers in the league (which may not be saying a lot), atleast from what I've heard.

I missed it, what was the situation with Sutton?

Our pitchers have been injured, maybe Ned was being a "gamer" tonight managing with a head injury...

Jenkins with the clutch hit tonight, gotta love it...

meanwhile:

Quote:
have to say ...even though he is a company boy...Daron really pissed me off tonight

I'm starting to sincerely believe that Daron Sutton is getting worse and worse as the season goes on... tonight he was really really annoying

Daron...

does not wanna tell it like it is. He'll tell ya how he would like it. But, as far as, what should happen....he will not criticize....but like i said...it's his job....Steve Stone ot fired for telling the truth...I guess Daron shouln'dt be held to that standard

Jenks with a big day.

Yost is a moron. Two ground balls leak out of the infield and he pulls turnbow.

Gotta love this offense though. Can never count this team out of a game.

Finally Darron had one of his best calls ever after Prince hit that big double, "bring in all the south paws you want!"

Quote:
My personal feeling is that Turnbow probably shouldn't even been called up in that situation. He's had pitched int he last 3 games, no?

His last week's worth of work, FWIW:

Tuesday 23 Monday 0 (off) Sunday 14 Saturday 13 Friday 3 Thursday 0 Wednesday 0

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Big win tonight but i don"t understand Yost taking out Bow think that was a bone head play. Hope he not trying to make use of the new lefty. Glad to see Jenks clutch tonight hopefully he heating up and will be the big bat in the 3rd spot.

also nice to see Brady get 2 hits tonight

We did not need to use Turnbow with a 3-run lead to start the 9th. Kolb or Capellan could have finished that out. I don't want to see Turnbow get overused and become Bobby Thigpen.

How many people thought that Shouse could get Howard out on back-to-back nights? I doubted that he could do it.

I'd have pulled Turnbow there as well, Howard is a weaker hitter against lefties. He has been in the minors and in the majors so the small sample size this year simply is not enough to offset it. Turnbow has been used 3 of the past 4 days and had already gone relatively deep into his pitch count today. The move makes sense to me, I don't know about leaving the lefty out there after Howard got on though, thats a tougher call.

How about this: why not keep JDLR in? Even my girlfriend, a casual fan, brought this up. He was throwing lights out, only 18 pitches or so, and he wasn't pinch hit for, because they double switched with cirillo and t-bow. I know he has the staminal, he has been considered a starter candidate in the past if he could get straightened out

Archived