Brewer Fanatic

Nashville Runs out of Gas (Atlanta too?)

PeaveyFury

Wow, thought this was a rip on the AAA team.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

How in the world does an entire city run out of gas?

Well, you'd actually have to live here to understand. When it rains the highways and roads are backed up like it is when there's a snow storm in Wisconsin. When there's mention of snow people run to the grocery store and buy milk, bread, etc and other items and in a matter of an hour or two the grocery store is all out of these items. My wife got four or five days off (she's a teacher) when there was a 'threat' of snow and one day off with a quarter of inch of snow that lasted a good 45 minutes on the ground.

I don't think it's as much of a 'rumor' as it is a lack of planning. A similar situation happened a week or so ago. Trucks just aren't getting here fast enough on the weekends when most gas is being purchased. Combine that with people freaking out a bit and you get this. Nashville is a great place to live, but people get a little worried a little too quick.

I do find it hard to believe it's all a rumor. One major reason why the weekends sell a ton of gas is because Nashville is a big commuter area. There are many workers that travel 30 minutes to an hour to work because the cost of a home is much cheaper than living in the Nashville area. People gas up at the end of the week and gas isn't getting here. For whatever reason, almost every gas station here is supplied directly from areas hit by the hurricane. People get nervous and need gas and this happens.

On Saturday night we drove past a Shell and there was a line about a block or so from the gas station because a truck was coming...they were waiting for gas. My wife and I were lucky since we got gas a day or two before this mess happened. I would hate to wait an hour to get gas.

JJHardy7's comments made me think of when I was younger and my parents and I were driving to Florida and "The Storm of the Century" was rolling through Tennessee. Tennessee was hit with a couple inches of show, and being from Wisconsin we thought it was nothing. We pull off to get gas in Chatanooga, and people were walking around with huge amounts of clothes on (it was probably around 45 degrees) and many had plastic bags taped over their shoes. After we got gas, we tried to get back onto the interstate, but all the on ramps were closed and had barrels blocking them. There were still cars on the interstate, so my dad decided to whip it around the barrels and onto the interstate. The interstate was pretty much bare... and thankfully we were able to do that because about an hour later we heard on the radio that there were no more hotels in Chatanooga and the interstate would probably be closed for at least another day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have to go there for work this week and there are people at home instead of the office because they don't have enough gas in their tanks to get to work.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Further complicating matters is that metro Atlanta has more stringent environmental requirements than other areas, meaning gas from other cities can't be brought in because it doesn't meet the city's smog requirements.

Supply is a bit low because of Ike, and GA has precise requirements, so replacing it involves, literally, making a "special batch".

Supply is a bit low because of Ike, and GA has precise requirements, so replacing it involves, literally, making a "special batch".

Is Wisconsin out of gas? I don't think hurricane Ike has all that much to do with this as it does people freaking out and filling every vehicle and all gas tanks. GA might have their own thing, but people in the south freak out about this stuff IMO.

I love how reformulated gas has been around for 13 years and they still don't know if it's having a positive impact or not.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived