Brewer Fanatic

Ranking today's loss to the Cubs (9/18)

letsgored2003

I think today's loss has to be one of the worst in the recent history of Wisconsin sports when you combine the game itself along with its significance. There have been worse games, and there have been more significant losses, but I don't know if we've had many that rank so high in both categories.

In terms of the game itself, I think it has to be a 10 out of 10 on the frustration meter. We've blown bigger 9th inning leads, but none I can remember with 2 outs and nobody on. Combine that with all the missed chances, especially the 5th and the 12th, and its tough to argue with a 10 out of 10.

When it comes to the significance of the loss, I would put today's game at a 9. Keeping it from being a 10 is the fact that it wasn't a playoff game, and even with the loss we still do have a legitimate chance of winning the wild card. On the other hand, with so much invested into the season, and being down a half game with 10 to play, it doesn't really get much bigger.

Here is my list of worst games in the last decade (maybe even 2 decades) for Wisconsin sports. I'm weighing both categories equally, so in order for a game to make the list it has to be both an awful loss and a very significant one.

1. Fourth and 26
2. Today's game
3. Bucks game 5 vs. Sixers in 2001 Conference Finals
4. When Jerry Rice fumbled and the refs missed the call, then Terrell Owens caught the touchdown
5. 2008 NFC Championship

That is a very good list as I think you nailed the top 5. The only thing I would do is put the NFC Championship game to the top of the list and here's why:

1. No one thought the team would be as good as they were last year

2. The Packers somehow become favorites for the game

3. Everyone was ready to buy Super Bowl tickets after the Giants knocked off the Cowboys

4. No one expected the NFC Championship game to be at home

5. Many felt it was Favre's last chance at a Super Bowl

6. The Packers murdered the Giants earlier in the season

7. The Packers were granted a second chance when the game went into OT

8. Everyone just got that "feeling" that we were going to see a story book ending when they won the toss in OT

9. The Giants secondary was completely decimated by injury

10. I am going to stop because this is making me sad

The horror of the NFC Championship game was over in about 20 minutes. There's no doubt the game was legendary, but I healed quickly.

This has been a monthlong trainwreck, with a new heartbreak each and everyday. Today was the zenith. In baseball, it doesn't get worse. It's tops on the list because it seemed like a sure thing at the end of last month. But the backend of the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals is a close second -- the NBA has been dead to me ever since.

Just my top 5...

1. 4th and 26

2. Super Bowl XXXII

3. June 29 2007

4. The playoff game where Favre threw 6 INT's against the Rams

5. Wisconsin's various choke jobs early in the NCAA tournament

For some reason, today's game never registered as a complete disaster. It sucked, sure, but to me it really didn't feel any different than any other loss this month.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

1. Fourth and 26
2. Today's game
3. Bucks game 5 vs. Sixers in 2001 Conference Finals
4. When Jerry Rice fumbled and the refs missed the call, then Terrell Owens caught the touchdown
5. 2008 NFC Championship

I would have to agree with all of those. But very close to that list would be 82' series game 7, Super Bowl 32 loss to Denver and the Rams playoff game when Favre threw 6 INT's.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

To me that Bucks series and the Rice fumble are very different because they can be blamed on someone other than the team--the refs. I remember being completely irate at how that entire series was officiated. The Bucks were the better team and got completely hosed.

A little bit younger fan here, I haven't experienced anything before 2000

I really get into Packer games and the team as a whole

1. 4th and 26

2. NFC Championship Game vs Giants

3. The entire Favre fiasco

4. This entire Brewers collapse

5. Pretty much every other Packer playoff loss since 2000

What about Ron Dayne's fumble killing a national title bid when we were ranked #1 or #2 and we then lost to an unranked team and the season then went down hill from there. That has to rank up there in a bad game. I believe this was Dayne's first fumble of the year also.

I was at a game against Northwestern when I was pretty young. The Badgers were simply running out the clock and someone fumbled when they could have taken a knee. The Badgers lost at the last second. That was pretty brutal... Almost forgot about that one.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
1993 - UWs winning field goal attempt (from like 30 yards I think) was blocked by OSU ending the game in a tie. I believe OSU was ranked top 5 at the time. UW ended up winning the Rose Bowl but that game really stuck in my craw. Also, the same season UW lost at Minnesota which prevented them from winning the national title - I think UW had lik 600 yards of offense but turned the ball over like 5 times. I hate Minnesota.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

To me that Bucks series and the Rice fumble are very different because they can be blamed on someone other than the team--the refs. I remember being completely irate at how that entire series was officiated. The Bucks were the better team and got completely hosed.
It wouldn't have mattered if Big Dog would have made the 8 foot jumpshot that he normally made with his eyes closed

I was a Bucks fan back then I suppose but the deal breaker was the Ray Allen trade.

My #1 was the NFC Championship from last year only because I attended the game and to lose like that after I froze my butt off the entire game was incredibly frustrating. The pain has lessened since because I realized that the Giants played a much better game than the Packers and frankly they deserved to win.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That playoff game at Lambeau against Atlanta was really frustrating too. First loss at home with the temp under 35 degrees I think.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived