Brewer Fanatic

What kind of atmosphere will there be when the team returns home?

bklynbrewcrew
Bush was really bad in the 2nd inning, I don't blame them too much.
I assume some boos came down when he walked the pitcher on 4 straight balls. I am guessing in that instance some of those boos were coming from the dugout, and possibly the mound, and his grandmother's living room.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there last night too and the crowd was plenty into the game. There was some booing, but I think everyone was just a bit tense and expecting the worst (who could blame them with the way the last month has gone). I think everyone was feeling pretty finished when Mota gave up the bomb but almost nobody left early.

In my state of euphoria after Prince's homerun, I hardly noticed the crowd at all other than the people around me - who were going bonkers. So I turned the game highlights on during the ride home and the crowd was almost drowning out Uecker for a solid 1-2 minutes after the blast.

I thought the crowd was pretty good last night. Yes, they booed Bush and Mota, but I think those instances were relatively deserved, and partly due to past performances. Some people also booed Gagne again when he came into the game. Again, it's been said here before, but booing is a part of sports, and it happens all over, not just Milwaukee. I wish people would get over that.

Overall I thought it was a nice atmosphere. A lot of "Let's Go Brewers!" chants throughout the night, and I have rarely heard the crowd louder than when Prince hit the walk off homer.

I have to dole out minus points to the knuckleheads who were trying to start the wave from the bleachers... IN THE 9TH INNING OF A TIED GAME!

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think everyone was feeling pretty finished when Mota gave up the bomb but almost nobody left early.

Actually my friend and I both noticed how many people left after the bottom of the 8th, after it was tied back up. It certainly wasn't a mass exodus, but there were a somewhat surprising amount of people leaving a tied game in the 8th.

When the guys came out, there was general cheer, but most people around me stayed in their seats.

I believe Brian and/or Bill said it was a standing ovation.

There were people standing, yes, I was among them, but in general, I'd say half of the people in the stadium at that time were in sitting in their seats, not standing. To be fair, the stadium was pretty slow to fill up last night, so had more people been in the stadium at that time, it may have been different.

I have to dole out minus points to the knuckleheads who were trying to start the wave from the bleachers... IN THE 9TH INNING OF A TIED GAME!

I had moved over to the left field bleachers around the 7th inning, and ya, we were surprised by that. They looked like a ton of high school kids in that area though.

In general I agree the crowd was decent last night. The booing wasn't as bad as I expected by any means, and I think the observation that fans were just mostly uneasy most of the game is accurate. They were up and excited for good moments, and tense about things going south during most any other moment. I really think the way the game played out was great for the fans and should make for good crowds for the next couple of days. Hopefully the guys respond and the support should be hopefully pretty great for the final weekend.

And I just now thought of this, but I don't recall Corey getting booed, which I had initially expected after his comments two weeks ago.

I heard one person boo on TV when Corey was announced for his 3rd or so at bat. Not bad, I guess.

Maybe it was just the TV, but Miller Park sounded at both its quietest and loudest last night. A lot of tense silence when down followed by roars of approval for the big moments. As for booing Bush...I don't know, it wasn't just that he gave up 3 runs, it's that the dagger was a 4-pitch walk to the opposing pitcher. I'm not a pitcher, but I feel like that could've easily been avoided had Dave buckled down and not taken Karstens for granted. Mental mistakes like that are frustrating, and in my opinion boos are not totally unwarranted for mistakes like that in a pennant race.

Wisconsinfan, thank you for bringing up the 4-pitch walk as a mental mistake. Physical mistakes happen and, so be it. Mental errors are the unacceptable occurrences. For instance, say Weeks doesn't charge a high chopper that he could get in the air or on a short hop, but he lays back and the second bounce gets by him because it's an in-between hop with mad top spin. That is a mental error that caused the physical one...therefore boo-worthy.

Hanging slider...physical mistake.

I was surprised by the lack of scoreboard watching. I thought I'd hear roars of approval when the Cubs took the lead/boos when the Mets took the lead. I was camped out in front of the window of the team store watching Chad Gaudin blow the game. The crowd, especially the terrace, filtered out very early last night -- that's been happening all season, and I think it's disappointing.

Has anyone here ever been to a game at Shea? If you think booing Bush or Gagne is bad, I remember when the Brewers played in NY in 2006. Jorge Julio allowed a few runs in an 8-2 loss to the Brewers. The next day, he received vociforous boos. It wasn't a smattering -- it was 50,000 boos. Sure, booing Bush and Mota (who has been outstanding since mid-July) isn't cool, but see a game in New York if you want to see how bad it can get.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
a walk is mental? I disagree.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was surprised by the lack of scoreboard watching. I thought I'd hear roars of approval when the Cubs took the lead/boos when the Mets took the lead.

You know that would happen if it were a Packer game they were putting on the scoreboard...

But maybe it is just too hard for fans to cheer for the Cubs, if things remain close it will be interesting if there is more reaction when it is Florida and the Mets.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So anytime a pitcher is walked on four straight pitches its mental but any other time a guy walks on four straight pitches it's physical?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No, not anytime... Perhaps you're pitching around someone....Perhaps you're overthrowing or can't locate a breaking ball. Failing to throw a fastball over the plate to a pitcher (with the exception of pitchers that have proven to hit well) at 2-0 or 3-0...when he's going to be taking, indicates a mental block....possibly "aiming" the ball or worrying about not walking him.

In this case... a walk on four pitchers against the pitcher...that is mental.

My guess is that he was trying to throw strikes but threw balls instead. It happens. His command was obviously shaky that inning... unless those were all mental mistake walks? And my comment about CC was questioning when it is a justifyable situation to boo. Once you decide that it's OK to boo bad performance, you can boo nonstop for 3 hours if you want. Every ball thrown, every missed swing. Is there a line when even the most boo-happy fan would know that there was something wrong with the situation? CC comes out tonight and has a bad night, 40,000 fans can boo him and there should be nothing wrong with that, right? They wouldn't of course, since booing has more to do with liking and disliking certain players more than anything else. An emotional vent for previous situations that left the fan unhappy. I think chronic booers should just admit as much.

Of course, I know he was trying to throw strikes, but that doesn't mean he wasn't affected mentally. The previous walks may or may not have been a mental issue, that's harder to argue. However, I'm sure the previous walks and subsequent run to 2-0 on Karstens got in his head, causing a mental struggle. These are guys that can consistently hit spots within an inch of a glove...the plate gives much more leeway.

And I understand the issue with how boo-happy Miller Park has become...I still believe it has to do with the large amount of casual fans that have taken to the team. I rarely if ever will boo, and as others have said, it will be because of poor effort, mental mistakes, etc. I truly hope for these next 5 games, however, people try to put as much energy into each AB from start to finish...

As I tell my players, baseball creates the greatest satisfaction when you succeed because you're expected to fail so often.

This seems like the best thread for this instead of staring a new one;

Sean Pate, a spokesman for StubHub, a major secondary ticket supplier, said the upcoming series with the Cubs is shaping up as one of the biggest of the season.

According to Pate, here are the average selling prices for the three games: Friday, $81; Saturday, $88; and Sunday, $79.

Pate also said that it appears more fans from Illinois are buying the tickets than people from Wisconsin. That suggests, of course, that Miller Park will have a strong Cubs' fan contingent.

Closer to home, James Bryce, a co-owner of Ticket King, says the demand for the weekend series is changing day by day. Today, he said, there is evidence that fans want to dump their tickets. But that could change overnight if the Brewers defeat the Pittsburgh Pirates and the New York Mets lose to the Cubs.

From JS

I tried to get a picture of this yesterday on StubHub. There were plenty of tickets available and prices were all over the place, from people just trying to get rid of them, to people trying to ask for $500 for tickets that cost $36 originally.

I believe Brian and/or Bill said it was a standing ovation

Yeah, they definitely said this, and it sounds like it was pretty embellished.

Did anyone else notice that when FSN-WI went to commercial after Bush's 2nd inning, they cut the stadium sound out & just played music as the audio? It was presented as just an innocent 'going to commercial' thing, but I fully expected to hear some booing as Dave walked back to the dugout. Can anyone that was in attendance confirm or deny FSN-WI dodging the boos?

And if they did do that, kudos to FSN-WI.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived