Brewer Fanatic

What kind of atmosphere will there be when the team returns home?

bklynbrewcrew

Asking people not to boo? That just seems like asking people not to criticize their government. It's my birthright to boo and if ever there was a time for booing it's now. To suggest that people who boo lack class is so categorical as to be ridiculous.

These man-children are making mountains of cash to perform and are doing it in a taxpayer-financed stadium. I find it noxious to suggest I can't give these bums, who have blown it in ways that you couldn't script, a piece of my mind. I stand up for good at bats. I clap and am positive when things are done well. I always stand for the last out and I never leave my seat when the Brewers are up to bat. And yes, I boo when, for instance, Gagne gives up a lead or we get called out on a stupid baserunning play or Kendall or whomever isn't pitch hit for in a big spot. Why is that wrong?

Good gravy, in the name of Gorman Thomas, let's get rid of the battered spouse syndrome that infects Brewers fans as much as any other fan-base. Who cares about a Bronx cheer when you see all the championship hardware associated with it?

Edit: In hindsight, perhaps using "Gorman Thomas" and "battered spouse" in the same sentence was not the way to go.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with booing bad performance. I just hate to hear the boos before the player/team starts playing (such as when Gagne enters and some fans immediately stand up and start booing) or while the team is still on the field. IMO that is in no way going to help this team get their composure/confidence back. However, I have no problem booing a team for bad play when the inning ends.

I stand corrected Jeffrey Scott, for the second time in 26 years the Brewers are in a tight pennant race and I still believe the Brewers fans need to show support.

Bring back the Stein, you definitely have the right to boo, but I don't understand why you would cheer against and lower the confidence of players on a team that you want to succeed. The argument that they get mountains of cash doesn't really hold up for me, since most of the teams they play against are making more than they are. Bottom line to me is that they are trying their hardest, and baseball players have bad days, and sometimes bad weeks, and booing is probably going to make it even harder to get out of the slump.

Right now I'm planning on going to Wednesday's game. Though that may change in the next 72 hours. Depending on where we're at, I have 4 tickets for Friday nights game, and 2 for Sunday's game.

I had a major problem with people selling their tickets to Chicago fans last home series, but if we're out of it, I have no reason to want to be at those games. Not to mention I could use the money, and those jerks on the North Side will dish it out. It's just so hard to not boo a team that your completely passionate about for 140 games and then watch them just tank year after year, especially since this year we really went after it tryin to piece together the missing links. We brought in basically an entire new bullpen, got rid of AAAA guys, found a gold glove center fielder, and got 2 former Cy Young pitchers. On paper, the Brewers should be right there with the Cubs. Though communism looked good on paper too.

for the first time in 26 years we are in a very close pennant race.

Uh, no...there was last year for one. The Brewers were tied for first on 9/18/07 and went 2-6 over the next 8 games to hand the division to the Cubs.

Not to nitpick you two guys, but remember in 1988 they were still in it at Game #160 and 1992 went to the final week.

Not to nitpick you two guys, but remember in 1988 they were still in it at Game #160 and 1992 went to the final week.

Hey, you should not be scolding me at all http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. That is exactly why I wrote "there was last year for one". I remembered there was at least one other time they had been close before last year, but did not want to reseach it. That had been before I was following them very closely. What I had remembered was they had a shot at winning the division, yet attendance was still not very good in September...I am guessing that was 1992.

Community Moderator

I'm not giving up yet. I have tickets to the Friday Cubs game and I fully expect they won't be eliminated yet.

However, in the event that they are eliminated, I probably won't be going.

I will also state that this season's result has no impact whatsoever on my status as a Brewers fan. I will be just as excited for Opening Day next year as I am every other year. I will go to just as many games next year as I did this year. The fanbase is discouraged and angry now, but you will all be over it by April. After all, we'll be defending our string of 2 consecutive winning seasons.

I have booed at Brewers games. I only have booed bad baseball. I hate when the Brewers don't play fundamental baseball. I haven't booed a player before he played, but I wouldn't stop someone from doing it. I believe the next homestand will be depressing. I went to the second to last game last year. when I bought the ticket, I hoped the Brewers would still be in it. They weren't. I ended up seeing about 3 pitches the whole game because I couldn't stand not playing for anything. I left after 4 innings.

I would expect that this year. Of course the Cubs seris will just plain be embarrassing. Can you imagine Lambeau Field being filled with 90% Bears fans?

I posted this in the "Are you done with the season" thread, it fits in here too. My friend who I know is a die-hard fan like me (he's endured 3 more years than me as he's 28 and I'm 25) came at me with the idea earlier this week that he was considering wearing a paper bag over his head if things continue to get worse. I was initially upset because I live and die with the team and don't want to give up. But the way things are going, it is looking more and more enticing. I don't want the spectacle, though. Thoughts?

I posted this in the "Are you done with the season" thread, it fits in here too. My friend who I know is a die-hard fan like me (he's endured 3 more years than me as he's 28 and I'm 25) came at me with the idea earlier this week that he was considering wearing a paper bag over his head if things continue to get worse. I was initially upset because I live and die with the team and don't want to give up. But the way things are going, it is looking more and more enticing. I don't want the spectacle, though. Thoughts?
You want to wear a paper bag on your head but you don't want to be a spectacle? Think about that for a second first. ... OK, good. You are really into this whole bag wearing scenario though.

I vote for go ahead and do it. It's hilarious!

Depending what happens in the next few days...

I care enough about this team to show up in person and boo them, and boo them as they run out of that dugout. I bought my 20 pack, I lived and died on every bad game, poor performance, and ruined scoring opportunities. I should reflect that by just not going? That would be not caring in my book, but I do. So I invite everyone to come and show you do care, and you are upset with the product put on the field, and boo, and boo, and then boo some more.

Asking people not to boo? That just seems like asking people not to criticize their government. It's my birthright to boo and if ever there was a time for booing it's now. To suggest that people who boo lack class is so categorical as to be ridiculous.

These man-children are making mountains of cash to perform and are doing it in a taxpayer-financed stadium. I find it noxious to suggest I can't give these bums, who have blown it in ways that you couldn't script, a piece of my mind. I stand up for good at bats. I clap and am positive when things are done well. I always stand for the last out and I never leave my seat when the Brewers are up to bat. And yes, I boo when, for instance, Gagne gives up a lead or we get called out on a stupid baserunning play or Kendall or whomever isn't pitch hit for in a big spot. Why is that wrong?

Good gravy, in the name of Gorman Thomas, let's get rid of the battered spouse syndrome that infects Brewers fans as much as any other fan-base. Who cares about a Bronx cheer when you see all the championship hardware associated with it?

Edit: In hindsight, perhaps using "Gorman Thomas" and "battered spouse" in the same sentence was not the way to go.

I agree with this 100%. Booing is a part of sports. Some people here need to quit pretending that attending a baseball game always has to be a high class, analytical type of event.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

However, saying "To suggest that people who boo lack class is so categorical as to be ridiculous" insults the segment of members who disagree with this statement and crosses the condescension line.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If we manage to win the next two games against Cinci and the Mets or Phillies lose at least one of their next two this weekend, I expect the atmosphere to be very exciting with the usual booing if something goes wrong. If we lose one more this weekend or both, I expect things to get very ugly next week with the crowd booing at any little thing that goes wrong. Corey Hart will probably get a smattering of boos too.

After cheering for the Cubs for the begining of the week I really feel the need to go overboard cheering for the Brewers the last series just to make myself feel better. I understand that it's in the best interest of the Brewers for the Cubs to beat the Mets, but it's just soooo hard to root for them to win anytime.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

If the Mets lose tonight, we will be 1 game back with 7 home games to play. I have been as pissed off/despondent as anybody over the last few weeks, but IMO, anything other than enthusiasm and support tomorrow night will be incredibly lame. I don't think I'd feel this way if we hadn't started to show a few signs of life on Sunday, and maybe I'm letting one game influence me too much, and maybe this is all just a classic Godfather "Just when I think I'm out, the pullll me back in!" moment, but come on. One game back with 7 home games left against the Pirates and Cubs...how can you not throw one last burst of support behind the team?

I have tickets for tomorrow, and I was on the fence last week about if I would use them or not, mostly because I fully expected a boofest and didn't want to be a part of it, but I'm energized to go and cheer on the Crew tomorrow. I fully expect the stadium to rain boos when they come out tomorrow, which will be ugly and embarrassing, but I'll be doing what I can to counter it.

We're within 1, the Pirates are in town, and we'll misss Zambrano and Harden. I'm liking it.

Archived